Refresh Rate Change - Needs Work

A8HTPC

A8HTPC

MBT Ver: 3.0.5355.20270

MBS Ver: 3.0.5347.22095

Issue: MBT Changes refresh rate to incompatible rate for my Plasma. (50Hz)

Server Log

Media Browser Log

File: Intro Movie Frame Rate, 24 fps. MBT changes refresh rate from 60hz to 50hz which my TV will not accept, in which case my TV does not display anything. After the file plays, MBT changes RR back to 60hz, then when it starts playing the movie, it changes RR to 59hz from 60hz. which seems correct for the particular movie which was xmen

Intro Media File Properties

X-men Movie File Properties

Now, this could be an issue with the intro as well. I have two intro movie files, one is 24fps and other at 25fps. So obveously, 24 fps when doubled is 48 and close to 50hz. 25fps when doubled is 50hz. I did remux the 24fps intro down to 24fps from original 25 but maybe I should go to 23 or 23.976 so MBT can change the refresh rate accordingly? 

One possible solution is to have only a select few refresh rates able to be selected like MadVr lets you do. This way 50hz or another refresh rate that is incompatible with the TV will not be selected. I guess though, a 24 FPS movie is more easily played and corrected at 23.976hz than 50hz. 

The problem after all this is MBT freezes....Windows says it is "Not Responding" but will actually continue to play the file (Audio Only) in the back ground until you terminate the program

Video of issue

Video is before I figured out what was happening.

I tried attaching the logs but attachment size is regulated to 32.71Kb and these files are bigger than that. So everything is on Google Drive

Edited by A8HTPC

Ghostm

I also have a few issues, i passed them on, mine is also freezing/hanging

I am guessing their maybe a way we can specify our own refresh rate editing a file, but he would probably have to let us know.

He will get this working though. MBT seems to be a different animal compared to other media players at the moment, he probably needs some time to figure out why its happening.

If this worked 100%, I would have no reason to use MadVR. Especially since my Radeon 6550 is not strong enough for the enhancements MadVR offers. This would remove some issue I have. The main issue I have when using custom intros when madvr is enabled, is either the Intro Plugin or MBT will play the intro, but then will hang after. I turn madvr off, it works just fine but then I don't get the refresh rate switching. So if MBT can switch refresh rates effectively, some of my problems would disappear until MBT and MadVR work more efficient together.

If this worked 100%, I would have no reason to use MadVR. Especially since my Radeon 6550 is not strong enough for the enhancements MadVR offers. This would remove some issue I have. The main issue I have when using custom intros when madvr is enabled, is either the Intro Plugin or MBT will play the intro, but then will hang after. I turn madvr off, it works just fine but then I don't get the refresh rate switching. So if MBT can switch refresh rates effectively, some of my problems would disappear until MBT and MadVR work more efficient together.

Yea I also noticed madvr has this issue with the intro plugin as well.

Does mbc have refresh rate changing? I am guessing alot more users are using the intro plugin in mbc and it would be interesting if they can refresh rate successfully with the intro plugin.

I dont know if @@ebr would have any ideas either because im unsure if its the intro plugin or  the refresh rate switching.

Intros work fine without any refresh rate changes, but as soon as thats enabled it seems to hang after it plays through any sort of intro.

MBC itself does not do refresh rate switching.  Some people use externals that do though.  But intros always play in the internal player first in MBC and then the real item is kicked off in the proper player.  I think MBT treats the intros and the main item as a single playlist.

Stab in the dark but does anyone use mpc-hc as an external player with madvr for mbt and also use the intro plugin so it plays in mpc-hc and using madvr to switch refresh rates? Would be interesting if someones doing this to see if it plays fine.

I would setup an external player try myself but you cant delete external players unfortunately for some reason. Although i could probably just remove all file type association if thats possible. 

Or  if anyone is using xbmb3c refresh rate switching if that works with the intro plugin.

Edited by Ghostm

It is highly doubtful that the intro plug-in itself really has anything to do with this as all it does is allow you to define the things that will play before your movies.

It is more likely this has something to do with playing multiple items that are of different types - or maybe just multiple items period.  Someone might try just playing a group of episodes at once and see if the problem still occurs.

Or it could be related to trying to play two items where one is streamed and the other isn't as most people probably setup intros to play trailers from the trailers channel.

My guess is the intros plug-in is just the only/easiest way to create this situation.

Tried it and turned it off.  It just annoyed me that everytime I accessed a TV show or movie the screen would go blank and change refresh rate.  This is due to having video backdrops playing.  I suppose if I didn't have video backdrops the system would work well.

Stab in the dark but does anyone use mpc-hc as an external player with madvr for mbt and also use the intro plugin so it plays in mpc-hc and using madvr to switch refresh rates? Would be interesting if someones doing this to see if it plays fine.

I would setup an external player try myself but you cant delete external players unfortunately for some reason. Although i could probably just remove all file type association if thats possible. 

Or  if anyone is using xbmb3c refresh rate switching if that works with the intro plugin.

You have to find the config file to delete the external players. I have done it before. All I do when wanting to disable the external player is remove all file associations for that external player in the external player window of MBT and it will never do anything again unless you assign a file association to it.

Edited by A8HTPC

Tried it and turned it off.  It just annoyed me that everytime I accessed a TV show or movie the screen would go blank and change refresh rate.  This is due to having video backdrops playing.  I suppose if I didn't have video backdrops the system would work well.

He has already addressed this I believe, have not tested it yet since we have not received the update . Keep in mind he doesn't use the plugins he basically just works on the player. 

Hes working on the intro issue as well. From what I gather until we figure this out hes looking at a way to ignore refresh rate changing for anything other then our main media "movies, tv shows, ect.." 

Edited by Ghostm

Out of curiosity though has anyone received stutter during refresh rate changing on playback, i cant reproduce it consistently but it comes and goes. Since its not working with intros i have been simply skipping to a scene. 

I have a problem with stuttering some times. I found this also to be an issue when using powerdvd as a standalone player. I don't know how to fix it...cause the most odd part about it is when the refresh rate changes to 23hz, a 24p movie will statter like crazy the entire time....but i open a folder window in windows explorer such as, my computer or my documents.....at WALA....movie plays smooth the rest of the way and most movies I pick after that will also play fine....can't figure this out...

Ghostm don't you have an AMD APU as well? Maybe it has something to do with the radeon graphics

I have a problem with stuttering some times. I found this also to be an issue when using powerdvd as a standalone player. I don't know how to fix it...cause the most odd part about it is when the refresh rate changes to 23hz, a 24p movie will statter like crazy the entire time....but i open a folder window in windows explorer such as, my computer or my documents.....at WALA....movie plays smooth the rest of the way and most movies I pick after that will also play fine....can't figure this out...

Ghostm don't you have an AMD APU as well? Maybe it has something to do with the radeon graphics

Yes I do, I was wondering that but as an xbmc user for 2 years prior, i never had an issue with  it and refresh rate changing.

Is it vsync or something else? I did use vsync in xbmc. 

This is getting over my head but i know in xbmc i could never use the option "Use fullscreen window rather then true fullscreen" either.

Going to be hard to fix this I think for him because I dont really know what to report. 

Edited by Ghostm

Actually I also used mpc-hc with very low madvr settings (Not using exclusive mode either) and it plays without stuttering during the refresh rate change as well. 

The lockup issue with intros is definitely not an issue with intros but rather playlists + refresh rate switching. I created a small playlist of two videos and sent it to mbt, and after the first one plays the 2nd one will always freeze like in A8's video. 

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 1