Music meta data

steve1977

steve1977

Just got around trying out scraping music artists and albums. A few questions / observations:

1) Does it really take all these XML files or is there any way to read directly out of the tags?

2) Can MB3 identify the Musicbrainz album ID if it is included in the MP3 tag?

3) I noticed that MB3 is scraping album posters. Is there any way to extract it from the MP3 file (for those that have embedded artwork). In an ideal world, MB3 would even directly read the embedded file, but extracting it would be an ok backup plan. Right now, many of my albums don't show albumart in MB3 although I have embedded in my MP3 file.

Thanks for the great work!!!

Edited by steve1977

steve1977

We do. We get it from music brainz, last fm, and fanart.

Apologies, I just found out and completely edited my opening post... Looking quite weird now.

Btw, you don't sleep, do you? You US based?

steve1977

I am from Europe, but living in Shanghai. So, all-day long for me ;-)

Let me know if you have any thoughts on my question in the revised opening post? Thanks!

we do extract tags but then we cache that info in the xml.

is there a standard for embedding the music brainz id inside tags?

the reason why poster downloads are preferred for albums is because we get them from fanart and their images are generally of outstanding quality due to their upload requirements.

Artwork embedded in mp3s is usually 200x200 which is way too small to look good on most large-format screens.

steve1977

Thanks. Any chance also to extract posters from MP3 for those when new poster is available (which unfortunately are quite a few of my albums).

The Musicbrainz tagger Picard includes the following tags into the MP3:

MusicBrainz Release Artist Id

MusicBrainz Release Id

MusicBrainz Artist Id

MusicBrainz Release Group Id

MusicBrainz Recording Id

steve1977

Artwork embedded in mp3s is usually 200x200 which is way too small to look good on most large-format screens.

Makes sense. Still better though than nothing for those albums when no artwork is available.

steve1977

can you post a sample audio file with those tags embedded? then I'll add support for it. thanks.

Shall I email it to you? What email address is best?

BATTLE DONKEY

Is it possible to turn off album cover fetching and use the album cover in the id tag? Maybe add a button in the future in the meta data edit page? The reason I ask is because all my music has the album art in the id tag already. Most of it already came from the fanart website but some they didn't have so I found elsewhere. They're all minimum 1000x1000 and some I prefer over the fanart album covers and would prefer to use my own

• 2 months later...
GrahamH68

dropbox is fine

Hi Luke, did you get the sample MP3 that you needed with MusicBrainz id tags?  I'm having a few issues with Media Browser 3 incorrectly identifying my music collection although the affected albums all have correct MusicBrainz ID tags and so having MB3 pick these up would be really useful, so if you need samples, I can supply.

There are a few more tags that Picard fills in that could be useful, including AcurateRipDiscID, ASIN, Barcode, CatalogNumber.

Edited by GrahamH68
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
jose

Has the option to use the embedded art been implemented? I have some albums for which no art is available via the current sources but have the images loaded in the tags.

steve1977

Has the option to use the embedded art been implemented? I have some albums for which no art is available via the current sources but have the images loaded in the tags.

What files are those? I believe it is working fine with me now with embedded art for MP3s. It does not work for MP4 (videos) though, but that's not only about the embedded art, but overall tags.

jose

Luke, is MBS supposed to be able to read the image data from the music tag? Steve says it is working for him but i dont seem to be having the same luck.

steve1977

Just to clarify. I am not saying that anything from Musicbrainz is being downloaded. I am just referring to embedded art in MP3 files (i.e., the image is inside the MP3 file already and does not need to be downloaded from anywhere. Also, this only refers to album art and not any of the other embedded art that you are referring to (booklets, etc.).

we don't actually download images from music brainz. we use mbz to get the id's and then download elsewhere. you can see the sources in teh metadata config area

• 6 months later...
steve1977

Quick follow-up. I am now making an attempt to use music with MBS and it appears, this is not fully working yet to the same level as videos are.

What about the above? Any chance to have MBS use / extract the album art from the tag? Would be most convenient for many of us? Thanks!!!