XML/NFO content for movies

steve1977

steve1977

It would be fantastic to see an advanced option to decide what information to scrape in the XML/NFO file and the order of provider that it is looking into. I just went through the NFO/XML file to see what functionality would be great to keep/add. Ideally all of these lines will become customizable to pull or not as part of an advanced setting. Reference to movie: tt1815862.

PLOT

Why does the NFO <plot tag start with "<![CDATA["? I don't think this is necessary and does not add any information? I believe this should be removed?

OUTLINE

Same issue with NFO <plot tag start with "<![CDATA["? Also, it appears that the plot is scraped again rather than the outline. Outline should start with "A crash landing leaves Kitai..." for this movie, but it scrapes exactly the same as the plot info". The outline is supposed to be shorter than the plot, so would be great to scrape the correct info.

ID TO ONLINE DATABASES

Unclear what beyond <id></id> is needed. I also see it scraping the following four and no idea why it does so. Maybe can be avoided?

<id moviedb="imdb">tt1815862</id>

<tmdbid>tt1815862</tmdbid>
  <id moviedb="tmdb">tt1815862</id>
  <id moviedb="themoviedb">tt1815862</id>

RATING AND VOTES

It shows in the NFO that it is based on 480 votes, while IMDB clearly has 62,756 votes for this movie. Any idea where it is scraping it from and why? Would be great to have IMDB as the default

<rating>4.9</rating>
  <votes>480</votes>

CRITIC RATING AND CRITIC RATING SUMMARY

Again the weird CDATA info. Also, where does it scrape this from? It yet again reads like the PLOT (basically the third time the same text in the NFO file.

<criticrating>11</criticrating>

<criticratingsummary><![CDATA[One thousand years after cataclysmic events forced humanity's escape from Earth, Nova Prime has become mankind's new home. Legendary General Cypher Raige returns from an extended tour of duty to his estranged family, ready to be a father to his 13-year-old son, Kitai. When an asteroid storm damages Cypher and Kitai's craft, they crash-land on a now unfamiliar and dangerous Earth. As his father lies dying in the cockpit, Kitai must trek across the hostile terrain to recover their rescue beacon. His whole life, Kitai has wanted nothing more than to be a soldier like his father. Today, he gets his chance.]]></criticratingsummary>

PRODUCTION COMPANY

Only scrapes 2, but there are 3 on IMDB. The first one is missing. Is that intended or by accident?

<studio>Columbia Pictures</studio> [ MISSING ]
  <studio>Blinding Edge Pictures</studio>
  <studio>Overbrook Entertainment</studio>

ARTIST PICTURES

Would be nice to have a link to the artist picture at least as an optional picture: For example like this:

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM5MTQyODgxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMwMjc1Mw@@._V1._SY275_SX400_.jpg

TRAILER LINKS

I would prefer that it does not scrape the trailer link. Trailers links often expire and then I have them forever in my NFO file.

POSTER LINKS
The NFO includes a very long list with links to all poster thumbs. Why is this? Could this be optional. I don't think this is used by MB, XBMC , Plex or anything else in any way? At a minimum. could this be optional? For example:
FANART LINKS
Same here. There is a very long list, but I am not aware that any client or server is displaying anything based on these links? Why are they being saved in NFO file. Maybe an option to do optional?
    <thumb preview="/t/p/w300/79sgOV7YZk846qwy7g5sarYN08O.jpg">http://d3gtl9l2a4fn1j.cloudfront.net/t/p/w300/79sgOV7YZk846qwy7g5sarYN08O.jpg</thumb>

To sum up my feature request:
1) Remove CDATA reference from very places
2) Fix "outline" and "critic rating summary" (to scrape from right place)
3) Have trailer, poster and fanart links optional or even fully removed
4) Add link to artist picture
5) Fix production company
6) Maybe remove online database IDs
7) Fix votes

Thanks a lot, this is hugely appreciated!!!

cdata is an xml best practice when using free form text inside an element. It's not going to break anything. I based the nfo generated off of the xbmc wiki, sample nfo's provided by other xbmc users, and also by what MetaBrowser generated, and it does the same thing.

That's why the Id's are all duplicated, I saw examples of that from elsewhere.

Critic rating info comes from Rotten Tomatoes.

Imdb is the default for movie ratings, so i'll have to look at why it used tmdb there.

steve1977

Thanks, sounds good. My XBMC NFOs never had CDATA and duplicate movie IDs, but it indeed should not break anything. See below the remaining open points:

2A) Scrape "outline" as IMDB outline rather than IMDB plot [bug]
2B) Check whether "critic rating summary" scrapes from rotten tomatoe? It looks to me that it is taken from IMDB plot [bug?]
3) Have trailer, poster and fanart links optional or even fully removed [feature request]
4) Add link to artist picture [feature request]
5) Fix production company? [bug?]
7) Check and potentially fix "votes" from IMDB [bug?]

steve1977

critic rating summary is a bug and i just pushed a new plugin build to address that.

Sounds good. Can I auto-update all movies at once? Is there somewhere a refresh-all function? Would this redownload all poster/backdrops as well, in which case it would take ages to run? What's the MB3 philosophy on this?

go to a folder in the web client -> click edit -> click refresh. it will refresh all child items. it won't re-download images.

steve1977

Perfect, sounds great. Any way to scrape missing posters, backdrops or trailers. And/or at least a way to identify movies with missing posters/bacldrops/trailers.

that same refresh will look for missing images. currently there's no way to identify them but i plan to add icons to the edit page sidebar to denote that sort of thing.

steve1977

Thanks, this would be great. Would love to see missing posters, backdrops and trailers as this will allow me to manually download and add them.