MKV files and Media Browser Classic

Kernel32

Kernel32

I'm having a problem playing .mkv files using Media Browser Classic.  When I try to play a file of this type, the screen goes dark and about 30 seconds later the audio starts, but no video.

Media Browser server and Media Browser classic are both at the latest versions.  

I'm able to browse to the server in on a tablet and play the video through the web interface without any problems.  

I've updated the codes for playing MKV files and if I open the file in WMP or VLC on the computer running Media Browse Classic, the file plays properly.  

Sparrowlogins

Hi, it sounds like you may have the refresh rate on. in the new mbt update there is an auto refresh rate. Go into the video player settings and untick this option.

This should allow files to play again as before.

Are you sure you have the right versions of the codecs  installed?  If you are on a 64bit OS you'll need the x64 codecs.

CBers

Thanks for the quick response and the link.

Just went through it and still have the same problem....

Might be worth uninstalling all codecs and filters and start again?

Have you ever been able to play MKV's?

Hi, it sounds like you may have the refresh rate on. in the new mbt update there is an auto refresh rate. Go into the video player settings and untick this option.

This should allow files to play again as before.

MBC not MBT. Edited by CBers

Kernel32

I went into MBT and changed the setting mentioned earlier, and the files play without a problem.

Back in MBC though, I'm still having the same issue.  

They play everywhere properly except within MBC.

Are you sure you have the right versions of the codecs  installed?  If you are on a 64bit OS you'll need the x64 codecs.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you have the right versions of the codecs  installed?  If you are on a 64bit OS you'll need the x64 codecs

Just curious because i have the exact same problem that this guy has.  I recently updated MB server and i have MBC installed on all my clients.  I was always able to play these before and now all of the sudden i can't.  Where are these codecs you guys speak of?

Just curious because i have the exact same problem that this guy has. I recently updated MB server and i have MBC installed on all my clients. I was always able to play these before and now all of the sudden i can't. Where are these codecs you guys speak of?

Have a read of this: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/726-windows-media-center-internal-player-mb-classic-and-lav-filters-guide

I am having what appears to be the same issue. Except that mine is directly connected with the Ceton Echo extender. XBox 360 extenders play the same files without any issue as does all of the DLNA devices on my network. When to play, the stream starts, audio plays, video remains black, and then shortly into the process the whole system shuts down. It also appears that, in my system the mkv is being transcodeded to asf. 

I can confirm that i have had these exact MKVs playing on this device before. I have codecs installed as demonstrated by the fact i can play the messages on the XBox 360. 

In my logs i see the following error: 

App: Error streaming media. The client has most likely disconnected or transcoding has failed. 

Unable to write data to the transport connect: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. 

I have tried everything i can think of, i would very much appreciate some help.

That ceton extender is very limited in what it can play.  However, if we are transcoding then it is likely due to the fact that you have not setup proper permissions to the media folders.  Extenders use hidden Windows user accounts with unknown passwords so the only way to give that user permission to network resources is to give permission to "Everyone".

AH! I thought that his came with an error/warning I guess it doesn't I have resolve this issue. Unforutnatly setting permissions to everyone wasn't an option for me. I have small children in the house and "Everyone" would have give them network access to materials that they shouldn't see via normal means. 

I was able however to setup some custom scripts in the C:\Windows\System32\Repl\Import\Scripts directory.

EXTENDERUSERNAME.cmd 

net use Z: /delete /y

net use Z: "UNCPATH" "PASSWORD" /User:USERNAME /persistent:no

I found the info on http://tobias-tobin.blogspot.com

Thanks for your help erb!

• Like 1