480p content still padded to smaller viewing size

A8HTPC

I used to be able to fix it by turning MadVR on or off but now it seems it just doesn't matter anymore. Its always padded. I fooled with the brightness and contrast to find the different padded area in the image below. Maybe this will make sense to someone.

MBT Ver. 3.0.5362.41853 -- MBT Log

I noticed something off in the logs. Usually an HD screen size is 1920 Wide x 1080 High. The log has the screen resolution reversed. 1080 Wide x 1920 High. This would make sense as to why the video is shrunk down. 

2014-09-09 20:30:39.9194 Debug - InternalDirectShowPlayer: IsFullScreen: W: 1080 H: 1920 Top: 0 Bottom: 1080 Left: 0 Right: 1920

540fa0ac7c63d_480pissue.png

Edited by A8HTPC

space2001

by looking at your shot it looks like you video in 4:3 with widescreen in it. I am not having any issues with this.

Make sure your video is in a 16:9 ratio not 4:3 with letterboxed in it.

Go to settings in mbt then video player there should be an option to enable or disable madvr. Change it and try again. Some people report that enabling it works others say disabling it works

^ I did that before. Doesn't work any more. And this happens to ALL 480p content, now with or without MadVR enabled.

Edited by A8HTPC

Also happens to me. All my 480 content looks like that (only exception is the black around the entire picture is the same solid color so it's not letterbox or anything). I can do logs if more are needed.

Thanks

Also happens to me. All my 480 content looks like that (only exception is the black around the entire picture is the same solid color so it's not letterbox or anything). I can do logs if more are needed.

Thanks

The black border looks all the same all around the movie when its playing, that picture I uploaded I increased the brightness and adjusted the contrast strictly to show the different borders

The Baron

Same here.

However, I use both DVDFAB and Handbrake to rip DVDs, the issue only happens with Handbrake rips (for me anyway).

The issue seems to be that for some 480p rips, Handbrake will chose a particular varient of the 480p resolution varient that is not liked, I have never used MadVR, by the way.

If I rip the DVD in DVDFAB, I do not have the same issue with the rips, problably because it will use a resolution varient that is not disliked by the player, I don't modify the ripped .mkvs resolutions, I leave the defaults the ripping tool chooses.

It seem that the player has an issue with some 480p resolutions varients. Unfortuently, as you cannot change the resolution on Theatre you are stuck with the black borders.

I should not that, for me, VLC has no issues playing the files without the black borders.

Edited by The Baron

My 480P movies were ripped with MakeMKV which only puts the movie into a MKV container and does not modify anything.

My BluRays are ripped with MakeMKV and then I use Handbrake to customize them. I have noticed you need to be careful with the auto cropping. I usually leave handbrake on Strict to keep the natural resolution, though I read encoding the movie with the black bars isn't the best for quality but I don't notice anything.

Edited by A8HTPC
  • Like 1

The Baron

I double-checked the settings I use in Handbrake and I also have the auto cropping set to 'Strict.' I haven't played with the settings in that section of Handbrake.

I do wonder if the issue is in that area though, only some of the DVDs I've ripped have the issue, and they will be subject to the same settings as those files who do not experience the issue have.

I think the issue is down to the resolution of the video that is picked by Handbrake, it will choose an output image size for a particular file, I wonder if some DVDs are encoded with a particular resolution and it is this that is the root of the issue.

Still don't have a solution (using Handbrake), DVDFab, which I use on occasion, does not produce 480p videos with the black border issue, for me, I should add. But I prefer Handbrake, on the whole, for its flexibility.

• Like 1

The Baron

I am going to try @A8HTPC's 2 step method of creating .mkvs from 480p source DVDs, it seems that the .mkvs created by MakeMKV do not suffer from the black border issue, I can then play with them to my heart's content in Handbrake.

As @A8HTPC mentioned, MakeMKV does not alter the source video, it only encapsulates it into a .mkv format.

Another warning with Handbrake. Make sure you keep a copy of the original MKV from MakeMKV when using handbrake. Now and then some movies will not encode right and will either skip around or not play at all.

handbrake I strictly used for BluRays, though some day will get to the DVDs. I am adding 2ch AAC Audio, adjusting the re-frames, removing or adding other  audio streams and compressing the movie so I can direct play them on my Roku device and they can stream over the internet a lot easier with a lesser bit rate

There are movies with TrueHD or LPCM which handbrake can't passthru to the encode. You will need to Extract the Audio from the original MKV, encode your movie with handbrake leaving out the unsupported audio stream, then remux the Audio back into the handbrake encoded movie. I use tsMuxer for this.

In my situation I use makemkv and nothing else after that and still get the reduced image size on playback. I'm pretty sure it didn't do it a few updates ago, just don't know exactly when.

Funny, I checked this again last night. My 480p DVDs have all been ripped by MakeMKV - so there should be no changes to the original streams - no compression or codec changes etc.

MBT version is 3.0.5362.41853 using only LAV filters as installed with MBT. In the MBT Video settings I have "Enable madVR*" checked and this causes 480p videos to playback in full widescreen mode - black bars at top & bottom but full width. If I uncheck "Enable madVR*", 480p videos play  in letterbox mode - black bars all round. Re-check it again and they play full width again. NOTE: I do not have madVR installed on this pc. This setting is just what is provided by MBT upon install. For me, making that setting active clearly changes something that makes 480p vids show properly. cheers

• Like 2

Interesting...so just to confirm, You do not have MadVR installed, but checking "Enabled MadVR" makes changes to the video resolution?

Funny, I checked this again last night. My 480p DVDs have all been ripped by MakeMKV - so there should be no changes to the original streams - no compression or codec changes etc.

MBT version is 3.0.5362.41853 using only LAV filters as installed with MBT. In the MBT Video settings I have "Enable madVR*" checked and this causes 480p videos to playback in full widescreen mode - black bars at top & bottom but full width. If I uncheck "Enable madVR*", 480p videos play  in letterbox mode - black bars all round. Re-check it again and they play full width again. NOTE: I do not have madVR installed on this pc. This setting is just what is provided by MBT upon install. For me, making that setting active clearly changes something that makes 480p vids show properly. cheers

Will check again tonite, but pretty sure this only affects 480p stuff. Everything else plays ok no matter the madVR setting.

The Baron

I can confirm this behaviour also, with 'Enable MadVR' ticked, the 480p videos that were experiencing the boarder issue, no longer experience the problem.

I do not have MadVR installed, you just have to tick the box to resolve the issue.

Good find by Jordy. Virtual round of applause is on its way to you.

• Like 1

Odd I have MadVR Installed. I used to be able to enable or disable to get the video resolution to be correct but now either way its got bars. O well. External player till they figure this out.