480p content still padded to smaller viewing size

A8HTPC

I can also confirm , That corrects the screen issue for me as well. Tested with multiple movies. (Checking use madvr and I do NOT have madvr installed).

• 3 weeks later...
babgvant

I can also confirm , That corrects the screen issue for me as well. Tested with multiple movies. (Checking use madvr and I do NOT have madvr installed).

If you check "Use madVR" MBT will use madVR. For quite a while MBT has been using its own private DS filters that don't require installation.

For those who are experiencing AR issues please get me a sample file. I haven't been able to reproduce with the 480p files that I have (admittedly a very small collection).

jordy

@@babgvant if you have a dvd available, just rip the movie with MakeMKV using default settings and you should see the issue. Im in Australia so using PAL versions.

A8HTPC

Some of my DVDs don't do it. I'll look into them and see if I can find out why

Edited by A8HTPC

babgvant

There was a bug - the EVR CP wasn't adjusting the rendered video size by the AR. The updated CP has been deployed to the "Edge" filter set for those willing to test it.

The larger point is probably that the although the video scaling scheme in MBT supports multiple preferences, the ability to manipulate it through the UI was never exposed. To address that 1) a default setting has been added to the video player settings area & 2) can be toggled in a non-persistent way via the "up" key during playback.

• Like 1

Della Dog

... 1) a default setting has been added to the video player settings area & 2) can be toggled in a non-persistent way via the "up" key during playback.

Has this been implemented? I've set the config to "edge", but do not see these options. Something further required on our end?

Thanks.

babgvant

Has this been implemented? I've set the config to "edge", but do not see these options. Something further required on our end?

Thanks.

Until the UI manages the setting the best thing to do is delete the COMObject folder (while MBT is closed) to make it refresh everything. Otherwise it will only check every 7 days or when the MBT version # changes.

Edge just specifies the filter set, the UI changes that enable 1 & 2 have to work their way through the commit to beta process (I don't know how that works) unless you want to pull down the latest code an build it yourself (it's not that hard,especially compared to C++ projects :)).

• Like 2

babgvant

Sorry guys, forgive my ignorance but what exactly should I be doing going by the above?

If you want to pull down the updated EVR CP, follow the instructions to change the path MBT looks for filters and delete the COMObjects folder in its data folder.

If you're not comfortable doing that (i.e that sounds hard) just wait until the next beta build is released. It will contain UI for all of that as well as UI for configuring LAV Splitter.

• Like 1

babgvant

FYI @@babgvant, LAV sync delay does not save to configure file with UI. Need to edit config directly. Thanks for the changes.

Thanks. Fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the difference from one to the other? Some of these settings seem to do the same as the other.

- Stretch, double, from inside, from outside, zoom 1 zoom 2, half, normal

And what is the difference here as well.

- Edge, Stable

"Normal" should play 480 content full screen for a normal experience.

babgvant

I found a couple issues (1 that could effect this thread) in the EVR CP. Please give edge a try (it should be available for selection in the latest beta build) and test it out.

Thanks

babgvant

Edge is the latest DS filters, which need some testing. Stable is where they go after they've been tested.

The stretch settings are roughly the same verbiage as used in MPC-HC (where I borrowed the logic from). In this case "Normal" is 1 to 1.

Scaling it to maximize viewable area consistent w/ the AR is the goal here (the default option should achieve that). If that doesn't work, then it's an issue; which is what I am attempting to address here. Depending on the AR, frame size, and windows size it is expected, and correct, for there to be black bars around the content at times.

My suggestions is to make "Normal" the default setting which is able to be used on all movie content ( which I know is your goal). "Normal" just need a little extra work.  Stretch and all other settings should be used only when you don't want to see the black bars or for any other reason

Right now, "Normal" is a little annoying. 

1080 - Normal: Good

480 - Normal: Really Small

1080 - Stretch: Vertically Stretched (Not Good)

480 - Stretch: Good

So Normal should probably use logic to apply stretch to fit to movies with resolution smaller than 1920x1080 and 1:1 for 1080 content. This way you don't need to go back and forth all the time. 

Also, it would be nice to have these options in MBTs Player. So when your watching a movie, you can quickly change the view without start and stopping the movie.

Edited by A8HTPC

babgvant

Normal is 1-to-1, so 1080p on a 1080p screen would look "good" and 480p would look small on the same screen because it is 720x480. That's what "Normal" does. If that's confusing, perhaps we can change the verbiage a little to indicate that it's 1-to-1.

For the most part "From Inside" will do what you're describing as the desired behavior, which is why it is the default. It should maximize the viewing area without skewing the AR.

It is already possible to toggle the scaling option during playback via the "Up" button.

So the normal, default setting would be "From Inside".....hm.

I think this is getting to "technical". MBT is the first movie player I have seen where I had to guess which setting other than "Normal(to all other player)" to use to allow all my movie to play correctly regardless of the format. Why not just call "From Inside" , "Normal" and "Normal", "Original" (Original 1:1) or something like that. Normal Viewing to everyone is what you say "From Inside" will do, so call that "Normal"

Edited by A8HTPC

babgvant

How about "Fit to screen" for "From Inside"? "Normal" might make more sense to some, but it will confuse others.

Latchmor

How about using what WMC uses and include a description, which I guess you were going to do anyway!  Zoom 1 to 4 doesn't really sound right though so I'd welcome better names than that, along with a desc. 

545501439c44c_Capture1.jpg

545501527c725_Capture2.jpg

5455016693f80_Capture3.jpg

545501791e269_Capture4.jpg

Fit to screen would work. Though I just tried From Inside and it didn't work right. From Outside seemed to work. I'll try with some other movies to see if I get the same results. 

Option: From Inside - ("From Outside" actually looks good and is fit to screen) - Movie: Battleship

5455031d49a8c_frominside480.jpg

Edited by A8HTPC

babgvant

Are you using Edge filters? I found an issue with scaling on those files w/ a funky AR (like the battleship file). If so, check the date on the EVRPresenter. It should be within the last couple days.

The scaling options are the same as what MPC-HC provides (where the names come from). There won't be a one size fit's all option that will make everyone happy.