480p content still padded to smaller viewing size

A8HTPC

I was for that picture, I changed it to stable and it does the same thing. The AR of Battleship is 720x480 (16:9). Fairly common so that shouldn't be an issue. Other movies do the same thing with From Inside

Vidman

I too think "normal" should be the video zoomed/shrunk to fill the viewable area while maintaining AR and 1:1 should be "original" I'm pretty sure that's how most of the other video players I've used label them (vlc mxplayer etc)

• Like 1

mystic.bertie

I had the black border problem with all the dvds i ripped using handbrake, enabling the madVR works a treat, everything plays fine now, thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...

@@babgvant is there a chance you could give me a quick rundown on each setting (from inside, outside, stretch...) so that I know which one I want to use for my setup.

Thanks,

Erik

babgvant

Half Size: reduce original width(W) & height(H) by 50%

Original Size: original W & H (i.e. 720x480 = 720x480)

Double Size: 2x original W & H

Stretch: Use window size for W & H ignoring aspect ratio (AR)

Touch Inside: Use window size to calculate W & H, but correcting for AR using the height of the window.

Touch Outside:  Use window size to calculate W & H, but correcting for AR using the width of the window.

Zoom 1: Zoom in by 33%

Zoom 2: Zoom in by 66%

The easiest way to see how each works in practice is to start playback and resize the MBT window during playback. You will see how it changes the size.

• Like 2

My had been using the arrow to resize during playback (and I'm always using fullscreen so I had not tried to manipulate the window at all). But that doesn't seem to function anymore so that's why I wanted to know so I can set it in the video settings now.

Thanks,

Erik

Sparrowlogins

Hey. Is the evr+ feature broken in latest dev release? Was able to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 ( roughly speaking) in previous releases but evr+ at stretch, whether stable or edge seems to just be 4:3 again. Tried other settings. touch inside stays 4:3. Touch outside seems to zoom out and crop top and bottom. It could be an id10t error (sorry terrible IT joke - user issue) but haven't done anything different except update the latest dev builds

Sparrowlogins

Just an addendum to my previous post, out of 3 machines one is playing stretch at 16:9 and the other 2 at 4:3. All set to latest dev builds. Am I missing a component or do I need to install other codecs or addons? Unsure why it would work on one machine with same build and settings and not the other two

• 1 year later...
lance321

I to am having this same issue with ALL my 480p content. It was driving me nuts! 

Played perfect in every other video player by default, and using Emby via a Web-Browser. However Emby Theater (I am a premium user) plays all 480p video like terribly. Images not stretched correctly to full screen.

I had to resolve it with the following settings:  "Setting > Video > Video Renderer > MadVR"

Does anyone know why we have to do this? Shouldn't the video player render the content correctly by default like most players do?

Maybe this could be a 'sticky' topic tip for this forum as well to help other Emby Theater users. Just a thought. Searching for the fix to this issue was time consuming. Not to mention this looks like it has been an issue with Emby Theater going back to at least 2014.

Edited by lance321

Guest asrequested

I just tested playing some 480p 4x3 and 16x9 with EVR+ and EVR stable and edge. Everything played with no issues. Can you post a screenshot of the emby metadata?

babgvant

I to am having this same issue with ALL my 480p content. It was driving me nuts! 

Played perfect in every other video player by default, and using Emby via a Web-Browser. However Emby Theater (I am a premium user) plays all 480p video like terribly. Images not stretched correctly to full screen.

I had to resolve it with the following settings:  "Setting > Video > Video Renderer > MadVR"

Does anyone know why we have to do this? Shouldn't the video player render the content correctly by default like most players do?

Maybe this could be a 'sticky' topic tip for this forum as well to help other Emby Theater users. Just a thought. Searching for the fix to this issue was time consuming. Not to mention this looks like it has been an issue with Emby Theater going back to at least 2014.

Please provide a sample file that doesn't render correctly. It's likely that there's a wonky AR condition that the renderer isn't accounting for.

As a test, before you submit a file for testing, you can also try uninstall + fresh reinstall, just to make sure all internal components are the latest versions. thanks.

• 4 months later...