Media Browser and Steam Big Picture

Swynol

Next video shows the Steam plugin in Media Browser Theater. Steam big picture allows you to play your games straight from Media Browser Theater. It even allows non steam games to be played this way. Brilliant if your HTPC is hooked up to a good size TV and works hand in hand with the xbox controller. 

• Like 3

Chris Jones

Looks good! I'm going to be installing windows/MBT on my Intel NUC on the weekend in my living room, was also thinking of installing Steam and using big picture mode (No idea how well it will work, hopefully can do small games, retro/emulators etc.).

Is this plugin available yet? or any idea when it will be?

@Chris Jones

Hi, yes the plugin is available, all you need is steam and media browser theater installed. then head over to the plugin catalogue and download the steam plugin.

also you might be interested in Steam in home streaming. basically you have steam installed on your gaming PC with all your games installed, then enable in home streaming. Install steam on your NUC but dont install the games locally. then the magic happens, when you choose a game on your NUC your gaming machine will stream the game to your NUC the benefit is that the gaming machine does all the hard work and the NUC just receives the image and sends the controller inputs back to your gaming machine.

this is what i do, my htpc isnt very beefy so struggles with graphics. Using in home streaming i can play the latest big titles at full res with no lag.

Use this all the time. MBT and Steam big picture make a great combination. Seeing all my pc games in one place means the lack of gamebrowser pc support on MBT is not an issue.

• 2 weeks later...
swhitmore

Since Steam has to be running in the background for this to work, I can't seem to load steam at startup minimised but in big picture mode. Is that what you're doing?

swhitmore

U can loaf steam normally on startuo and then MBT will send the command to open it big picture :)

Oh really? I thought I tried that. I'll have to test again. So you don't put steam into big picture at all, MBT will?

• Like 1