Will MBT Final Be Free?

scanner50

scanner50

Very true. And the model that Plex uses seems to work for them pretty well. Free except for mobile apps and optional premium subscription. But they are not nearly as feature rich as it seems MBT will turn out to be (madVR and Live TV integration, etc).

Edited by rainking430

scanner50

I have been seeing a few posts saying that MBT is aimed at high-end systems. This and all the hard work going into it supporting live/recorded TV etc has me wondering: Will it be free like MBC is or is the plan to charge for the finished product?

Sparrowlogins

I am one of "those " people who doesn't like paying for rubbish but will try it out for free.

Don't get me wrong, I have bought thousands of cds dvds and blu ray media.

MBT and the media browser range is a bloody amazing product, considering it's still in test phase and considering everyone involved is doing this without charging for the product.

This is one of the very few things I would pay for. Good on you media browser guys. Such a great bit of software!

Edited by Sparrowlogins
  • Like 1

Even if it's not free, a mere $10-$20 or so for such a fantastic piece of software is a pittance, considering the joy you will get from it for years to come. :D

Edited by jordy

it will always be free and open source

And this is why I am going to setup my own yearly donation schedule.

Or maybe I will make it monthly.  Will have to look into whether it is possible to setup a recurring donation/payment.

Edit:  I see you have recurring options built in.  Is there any way to change the amount?  $3 a month is not enough.

Edited by foghat

Free and open source is the best way to keep bringing in new talented developers. Your donations are appreciated though because it helps us with everything from hosting costs to device purchases, software licenses, etc.

scanner50

it will always be free and open source

Awesome, but...

And this is why I am going to setup my own yearly donation schedule.

Or maybe I will make it monthly.  Will have to look into whether it is possible to setup a recurring donation/payment.

Edit:  I see you have recurring options built in.  Is there any way to change the amount?  $3 a month is not enough.

That's a great idea.

Free and open source is the best way to keep bringing in new talented developers. Your donations are appreciated though because it helps us with everything from hosting costs to device purchases, software licenses, etc.

You should really think about putting more dollar choices in for you recurring options. Is there a way to do a monthly recurring for more than $3?

• Like 1

It's usually themes and some plugins that cost a small amount of dollars.  Once Theater is final I'm looking forward to seeing new themes for it.

For a free opensource program, we should all be thanking the devs for all the hard work they put in to make this stuff happen.

Edited by DigiTM