Resume on pause failing

kingy444

kingy444

I seem to have an issue where regardless of the front end device I use. (Dlna, Play To, Web)

The issue occurs when if I am watching a video, pause it for an extended length (untimed atm but usually i leave it for an hour or more) then come back and press play the video will play but fail approx 2-5 mins in. (Assuming this was already in the buffer?)

Is anyone else having these issues ?

Yes, I also have seen that for a while. I would say it's after about 15 min (not timed). But when it first happened nothing showed in the logs that I saw.

I will try inducing it later today with all the logs on and see if something shows up in the logs to submit.

Erik

In the world of streaming media to mobile devices there is no guarantee when a particular client/device is still around to consume something that is being sent to it.  You go to a web page and then go to another one - the web page you were just on doesn't necessarily know you left.

So, we have to make some sort of assumption that, after some period of time with absolutely no interaction from you, you have moved on to something else so we can stop using up resources on the server end to feed you something that you are no longer going to need.

Also, in the world of streaming media to mobile devices, many of them don't have a "stop" operation at all.  Pause or leaving the page is the equivalent.  So a pause for an extended period basically means you are done with that item.

kingy444

I guess working off my other servers (Tversity and Serviio - DLNA) they can both stay paused for an extended amount of time and then resume without failing

Is there no way for mediabrowser to detect you have resumed the stream?

I can understand the need to save system resources but i would think that a paused media wouldnt take that much system resource up? Alot of it is direct play and those that require transcoding, wouldnt the ffmpeg process sit idle anyway?

We have to kill the ffmpeg process at some point.  You could have simply walked out of network range etc.

Imagine the scenario where you stop and pause/stop multiple items in a short period of time.  We don't want five transcode processes running when you are only viewing one stream.  We try to detect all this properly but you cannot always guarantee we will know the difference between you pausing something, stopping something or simply walking out of network range.

In any case, we have continually refined this process to balance the use of resources with the usability and we can probably continue to enhance it in the future.

kingy444

What about a time limit for a process to sit idle and a limit of ffmpegs to sit idle (maybe end-user customizable in the UI).

So if you had that limit set to 3 and an hour timeout and started a 4th the oldest process would die. Then when the timer for each individual idle process finishes kill them?

Is this the same logic the server uses with MBT. That's where I'm encountering the fail to resume problem. I pause the media to do something and when I come back and hit play, it returns to the media view.

If this is intentional in the server could it just return to the media automatically or with a message so it doesn't seem like a failure to resume?

Beardyname

Is this the same logic the server uses with MBT. That's where I'm encountering the fail to resume problem. I pause the media to do something and when I come back and hit play, it returns to the media view.

If this is intentional in the server could it just return to the media automatically or with a message so it doesn't seem like a failure to resume?

Does it have to transcode for MBT? Since i have mine paused for sometimes up to ~30 min and i can resume just fine.

kingy444

Another issue with the failure is that mb3 never saves the play state of the media so you can't just resume from the failure point and must search for the point manually

My son had a similar issue last night.  I am honestly not sure if he just left it paused or if he actually stopped the show.  Either way, upon completely trying to resume the show (selected show from server, selected play --> resume), it would not play - ffmpeg.exe would start up, but it would not play his iphone (using server for playback on phone). 

I eventually got is going with a couple of server restarts.  Though it was weird - when monitoring his playback on the server, even though he was only about halfway through the show, it was showing as fully played (green progress bar) and fully transcoded (red progress bar).  The time was showing as something like 25min/19min.  i.e. was showing that the point he was at was actually later than the shows duration.

I get having to kill ffmpeg.exe at some point is left paused too long.  But on a complete resume, this seems weird.  Might have just been an anomaly, we see how things go over the next bit.