Using CUDA/OpenCL to activate DXVA?

A8HTPC

Ok so this questions really goes way beyond my knowledge. I'm know you guys know a lot more about it than I do and figure I would bring it up just to shake the tree to see if any good stuff come of it for MBT. This post could also be dead as soon as I post it..

There has been playback issue using DXVA (DirectX Video Acceleration - for those that don't know what it was) with a few AMD GPUs. I have only really been interested in 2 cases, cause both users have AMD APUs like me.

To my understanding, CUDA and OpenCL are mearly different languages used for either NVIDIA or ATI/AMD to access DXVA correctly.

When MBT uses DXVA, do you have to specify for AMD GPUs to use OpenCL and NVIDIA to use CUDA in order for them to communicate with DXVA? Or does the GPU automatically use the specific language, CUDA/OpenCL to use DXVA? I notice some programs will allow you to use CUDA or OpenCL by checking a box for better results with encoding or video rendering. Maybe DXVA can also be used without CUDA/OpenCL but is not used to the fullest extent?

Break down of setups

My Setup

AMD A8 3870K Quad Core 3.0Ghz

Integrated Radeon 6550D Graphics, 686Mhz Core, 400 Radeon Cores

DXVACopyBack Active

MadVR Deactive

ReClock Active

Not OverClocked.

Plays 1080P just fine with some noticeable dropped frames now and then

Ghostm Setup

AMD A10 5800 Quad Core 3.8Ghz

Integrated Radeon 7660D Graphics, 800Mhz Core, 384 Radeon Cores

Unable to produce smooth playback with DXVA using similar settings as me.

Spon Setup

AMD A6-6400 3.9Ghz Dual Core

Integrated Radeon 8470D Graphics, 800Mhz Core, 192 Radeon Cores

Video tearing issues.

Edited by A8HTPC