Album Artist Tag?

berrick

Has MB3 always used the Album Artist tag and how does MB3 decide it should use this over the Artist tag. I'm guessing if the Album Artist tag has data it is used in preference to anything else?

Is best practice, using the Album Artist track, to leave this tag blank unless it is a Various artist/Original sound track album and then you Various artist or Soundtrack? 

Edited by berrick

ginjaninja

yes it has.

definitely recommended  to populate 'artist' and 'albumartist' for all tracks. MB3 decides by assigning artist(s) to tracks and albumartist to album.

genre is separate to these eg. soundtrack genre.

'various artists' is the standard for albumartist if the album is a typical soundtrack.

split multiple artists and genres with eg. ';'.

dont think mb3 supports multiple albumartist tags.

edit

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/10326-handling-of-music-albums-created-by-two-artists-not-various-artists/?p=130718

just red mb3 does support multiple album artists..see link for qualification.

Edited by ginjaninja

Ta,

All my MP3 ID tags are set apart from Album Artist so I'm going to be busy  :huh: . OK i'm being a bit think but why would you need to have more than one artist in the album artist MP3 ID tag?

Edited by berrick

FrostByte

There are many albums where two artists collaborate on the same album and musicbrainz lists both as the album artist instead of using various artists which is used for several artists on one album.  One such album I have is Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.  This album has two album artists on mbz and is not the same thing as something like Bob Marley & The Wailers which is one artist on mbz.

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Ta,

All my MP3 ID tags are set apart from Album Artist so I'm going to be busy  :huh: . OK i'm being a bit think but why would you need to have more than one artist in the album artist MP3 ID tag?

dont know what 'set apart' means but if youre looking to cleans tags, my two suggestions are

1. mp3tag - can programatically define tags based on folder path/filenames/regexp

2. picard - good for smaller collection or if there is no external data to latch onto (picard will match albums based on little metadata)

• Like 1