Duplicate Entries, Artists view

berrick

Hi all,

I finally got round to tiding up the last few issue's with my MB3 tags. The aim, to no longer have duplicates showing in the Artist view in a web browser.

Normally the issue with duplicate entries turns out to be one of the following

• Spelling mistake/extra character/differnet character of Artist name in one of the tracks
  • Using a different artist name for one of the albums
  • Two different artists similar name (wasn't sure how to describe this) causing a duplicate Artist entry for one of the artists, for example
    • Al Stewart,      MP3 Artist tag set as Stewart
    • Rod Stewart,  MP3 Artist tag set as Rod Stewart  

• This caused a duplicate entry for Rod Stewart. Renaming Stewart to Al Stewart corrected the problem

However, I have one duplicate I can't get rid of. I have searched all MP3's Artist and Album Artist tags but can't find a problem.

So is there some way I can use MB3 ID's to work out what is happening?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...
ginjaninja

Do your duplicate artists have the same name, mbz id and content...if yes this is an old unfixed bug whereby when separate content (id3tags) is matched to the same mbzid, only the content pertaining to the 1st id3tag shows under each of the matched objects. Since it therefore impossible to tell what content generated the 2nd object (as its content doesnt show under it) the best you do is is use something like mp3tag with its filter to try and find the erroneous id3tag such as stewart above.

Edited by ginjaninja

berrick

Thanks ginjaninja,

The Artists within mebiabrowser are showing the same info, yes.

The problem I have is that I can't find any duplicates. I use tag&rename which allows me to filter all my MP3's using any IDtag fields with wildcards and I still can't find a duplicate; so I'm beginging to think there isn't a duplicate tag etc. Hence my wondering if there was someway of looking at the info mediabrowser has to see if and where I had a duplicate.

In fact I have just just changed the Artist name to temp001, re canned for good measure and whilst one ontry for this artist disappears one remains. Now when I search my MP3's I get now results. So short of a bug, deleting the DB or using MB3 to help i'm at a loss

ginjaninja

good point, if you rename (or move out the scan scope) the content (id3tags) which you know is matching to a duplicate...then this match should disappear...giving a much better chance that the remaining content will show under one of the objects and give you a clue as to what content is causing it.

i would remove all content related to match in ibn\artists in case this has an effect,

i had many instances of duplicates and in every instance it was a matter of finding the content causing the duplicate and fixing it, so i dont believe a rebuild of library will be neccessary (or would help).

berrick

Hi Ginjaninja,

After much head banging, not the sort you do for enjoyment, I managed to find the offending entry. So tempting fate, this topic can be closed :)

Would still be useful (certenly quicker) in such cases to have some way of looking up the GUID and the path it is pointing to?

ginjaninja

I agree. At the very least mb3 should not hide content that caused the object in the library. Lets hope it gets treated as a bug.