Media Browser Classic hidden user account saved login / auto login

medric

Media Browser Classic 3.0.206 now has the ability to login from hidden account however there is no option to autlogin in the media browser classic configurator  has no option to autlogin. I know that it works when user is not hidden it will allow me to select the user and add the password however since the user is hidden nothing comes up and you can not manually type the user in. now if you are on the pc wmc will prompt and you have to type the info every time (which is annoying) no option to save; if you are on wmc extender you have no keyboard so it kills it. I have manual edited the MBCommonXml.config with the username and password from when the user was not hidden and pasted it in after the user is hidden but it does not even seem to read it at all it still ask for you to login. I would love if we could save the user and password separately if the user is hidden so you are not always prompted when you dont have a keyboard to input. 

I have searched the forum and have not found what i am looking for so i have started a new thread

The proper place to configure this is inside MBC itself in the config pages (Start up behavior).  However, at this point in time, you cannot automatically log in as a hidden user.  I'm not sure if I want to change that but maybe...  

The thing is i know that the user is hidden but there should be a way for you to make the media browser classic app remember/store the user name and password so you don't have to login all the time its difficult if you use the app and all you have is a remot

• 3 weeks later...

Why is the user hidden if you want to automatically log the machine into it?

I hide the users so that when people stumble across my site from the outside they have to type in a user name and password to gain access.

This increases the security of the website and the chances that they will fail to get both correct.

At the same time it would be nice when I am sitting in front of the TV to not to have to type the password every time I shut the system off or go to another area in Media Center.

I would like to be able to save the credentials in MBC even though I have hid the credentials from everybody else.

Does this make sense?

I too would like to be able to save the password in MBC.

Edited by skept
  • Like 1

ivoidwarranties

+1 for this exact request... 

I think at some point, we were able to fill in the credentials (two text fields)... The version of Media Browser Classic that I have now has a drop down list for the User instead of a text field.

post-1892-0-66233400-1413252068_thumb.png

well in the meantime while Ebr considers this, an alternative is to unhide the user, give them a strong password, while also giving them the ability to sign in without a password when inside your home network

well in the meantime while Ebr considers this, an alternative is to unhide the user, give them a strong password, while also giving them the ability to sign in without a password when inside your home network

+1 for this exact request... 

I think at some point, we were able to fill in the credentials (two text fields)... The version of Media Browser Classic that I have now has a drop down list for the User instead of a text field.

Mine does to. however if you have your user hidden it does not allow you to select and you can not enter your user name. so when launch the app in Media centre you have to always enter the login name and it does not have the option to save it.

Well that would only work for the inside your network cause if you do anything outside your network showing the user name is bad. I could unhide my user if the web interface did not show the user and only had manual login. 

I think the issue that i am running into is an architecture issue. cause i have the issue in the IOS mediabrowser client where my user is hidden so i can not login from that app as well. I watch shows at home from the Windows Media Centre mostly and the kids watch from the Xbox 360 media centre(no app yet ;) ) and I also watch on the go away from home using the web browser client mostly and i hide my users so no username is expose to the outside world and only allow manual login. I think the web clients should allow manual login only (if its going to be expose to the outside world 10+ years Network Security Engineer) and all apps should allow you to enter and save your login credentials regardless that way the hidden versus no hidden becomes mute.

uspider7

+1 for me too, finally got mediabrowser configured with a reverse proxy SSL enabled and I prefer not to have the names displayed when accessing it from an external source. Maybe an option in the user settings similar to the "Allow local access without password" but for user visibility e.g. "Show user on external login screens"

either way it would be nice to have MBC be able to manually set accounts that are not visible.

Thanks.

Edited by uspider7

• 2 weeks later...

Yes we need this as we are more and more mobile and we want to have our own cloud that we control and sit's on our own premises. Having a user's login name displayed in the open is far to much info to be sharing; having the user name is half the battle. If Accounts are hidden but the app clients such as ios mobile app or Media Browser Classic should have the option of manually input the users credental and save it. MB you can manually input but not save (which sucks for the xbox360 and media cetner pcs with remote control) IOS app  does not allow you input any credentials at all. We really should have SSL encryption that would be great for login in and streams encryption to protect your credentials and your data streams even using tunnel over ssh tunnel for video streams would be nice

We agree. And since you sound pretty technical I'll also point out that we love it when new people join us and help out.

Yes we need this as we are more and more mobile and we want to have our own cloud that we control and sit's on our own premises. Having a user's login name displayed in the open is far to much info to be sharing; having the user name is half the battle. If Accounts are hidden but the app clients such as ios mobile app or Media Browser Classic should have the option of manually input the users credental and save it. MB you can manually input but not save (which sucks for the xbox360 and media cetner pcs with remote control) IOS app  does not allow you input any credentials at all. We really should have SSL encryption that would be great for login in and streams encryption to protect your credentials and your data streams even using tunnel over ssh tunnel for video streams would be nice

@@anks - I split out your response since it would involve changes to the server and all apps as opposed to just what this topic is requesting.

Version 227 will allow you to configure a hidden user account to auto-login.

You cannot do it from the Configurator.  You just log in as the hidden user and then set the "Start up behavior" to Log in current user.

If it is already set to log in as someone else, you'll need to un-set it under that id first.

• 2 weeks later...
MSattler

Luke,

Where is the option for this?  To allow local users to login without a password?

Luke,

Where is the option for this?  To allow local users to login without a password?

I can't find where it moved to either.  However, the new beta of MBC will allow you to configure a hidden user as the auto start up user.

• 1 month later...

yes this works for me. I unhide my user and then log into the client and set ti to autologin and it will work. this must be done for each client separately 

yes this works for me. I unhide my user and then log into the client and set ti to autologin and it will work. this must be done for each client separately 

You do not have to unhide them to log in.  You can use the manual login feature.