Win7 or WHS11 as server OS for MBS3

Schroinx
Go to solution Solved by trooper11,

Schroinx

I have just upgraded the server hardware to a MSI H97M Eco and a i5 4790 with 8gb ram. I installed WHS11 as that is what where on the old server, but as I understand it, the support is discontinued and I already had issues with the LAN driver for WHS11/Server2008R2. I don't really use any of the functions of WHS and am wondering if it would be better to go with Win7. I need some shares and network users and Remote Desktop, but wonder if that it not as easy to setup in home group as in the server?

Apart from that I run MB3 Server and iTunes (in W7 I can get the iCloud panel working to backup the photo stream, but it does not support WHS). I have ten disks connected to the server, and the most important I run is a SMART plugin, so I get a notification if there is disk errors on the server. The two other pcs are already running win7.

I need to decide pretty quick, so I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Win 9 will cost you money.

Whilst the WZOR site claims win 9 will be free the concerns are how much of the traditional OS will be left out and will cost money to get.

My understanding is that the "free" bit will reside in the bios of the device you are using and the rest of the OS will be cloud based. 

Any ways I run MB3 on windows 7 ultimate just fine

• Solution
trooper11

Windows 8.1 is at least worth consideration.  I'm really enjoying it on my htpcs now.

However, my server is running WHS11.  I have not seen a need to upgrade that one yet because its been running so well (not to mention I got a handful of WHS11 licenses for cheap.  What attracted me to WHS was just how focused a build of windows it is (this was before Wn8 came out).  Its a no frills server os that focuses on efficiency over consumer side features.  Plus, you do get access to some server specific tools that might be useful (truth be told, I have not tapped into much)

If I was doing it over again right now, I would probably get Win 8.1 unless I had a free copy of WHS11.  There are enough features in 8.1 that I would use immediately, even on my server, that would make it worthwhile to me.  Of course, you will want to decide what works best for you.  Honestly, any of your choices would work fine, it really comes down more to what you have available for free or for a price.

• Like 1

If I had to choose between WHS11 and W7 I would prefer the WHS11 because the mainstream support is longer, till 4/12/2016, as Windows 7s mainstream support, till 1/13/2015.

Yes, I know there is an extended support phase for Windows 7, until 1/14/2020, but that only includes security fixes.

But as my previous speaker told, any decent Windows OS will just work fine with MB3-Server. It's just a matter of the cheapest license you you can get.

• Like 1

8.1 would also net you storage spaces which you could use for drive pooling.  But any of the choices should work fine.

• Like 1

Schroinx

Thanks for all if your replies. As it does not seems as I gain much by going with the other options, I'll stick with WHS as it is free and already on the box and very reliable in my experience. Come W9 and I will revisit that decision.

• Like 1