Muffled sound

jhs39

I am having a problem where the soundtrack for some movies is muffled when played with Media Browser.  Generally dialogue is very low in the sound mix and hard to understand.  These files play fine with Play On and also with VLC and Potplayer.  The only place they don't play right is Media Browser.  Do soundtracks need to be a specific format for Media Browser to play them correctly?

What codec is being used? If it isn't aac the roku will merely pass-through such as DTS or ac3.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

AC-3.

If Media Browser is merely playing the soundtrack as pass-through why does every file I come across with this issue play fine in Play On?  Why is the sound perfect when I play on my computer using a media player like VLC or Pot Player?  If the file plays fine everywhere but Media Browser it seems unlikely that the problem is with the file.

Is your roku set to 5.1 surround or stereo? How many channels is the ac3? 2.0, 5.1, 6.1?? In pass-through this matters for sound db level, aka, volume.

My Roku is set for surround sound.  The video file has 2 channel AC-3.  I switched the Roku to stereo and the dialogue is audible now but the soundtrack still doesn't sound right to me--it sounds like I'm listening to the movie through bad TV speakers rather than a surround sound system.   

The same file plays fine through Play On with my Roku set to surround sound and it sounds much, much better.

Edited by jhs39

Is play-on upscaling the 2.0 to 5.1 transcoding the ac3 to aac?