MediaBrowser.tv is being blocked as categorised as a "streaming-media" site.

CBers

Any chance of resurrecting the MediaBrowser3.com website and mirroring it, instead of it directing to MediaBrowser.tv please ??

I ask, as my work is blocking access to this site due to:

"Access to the website www.mediabrowser.tv/ has been blocked as the category streaming-media has been blocked: this is in accordance with the company's Information Security Policy."

I can access most sites from work, including other forums, so it must be how MediaBrowser.tv is categorised.

Just a thought.

Thanks.

Bound to be because of .tv

I thought that, but I can access other .tv sites OK, such as trakt.tv.

Edited by CBers

Cheesegeezer

It probably looks for key words in the security and because it has "streaming" in it then it will reject it.

Do you have the little paragraph that says "if you need to access this site please contact your administrator"

if so, you should contact them and say that it's of utmost importance that you get access to this site because "I am the Gate Keeper and need to find the key master." :lol:

• Like 4

AgileHumor

Sadly, his internet is the companies and not public internet...so their technology can be a little more precise.

Filters are actually human categorized (with lots of help of technology) by domain name.  With MediaBrowser.TV as a new name, it probably took a while.  Your lucky, some companies block all "uncategorized".   Once the domain is categorized, it's up to the company to select the categories they want filtered....there are typically a lot to chose from, but only certain categories blocked. 

A lot of companies filter streaming media, especially on expensive internet links...like used off shore rigs :)

My guess is this is incorrect category, as it's more a forum (low bandwidth) then a streaming media site, which apt to use a lot of bandwidth (like YouTube, Netflix, etc.).  All that should be on your home PC, not mediabrowser's domain.

However, unless you get an exception from your IT team (if your allowed web forums on your off time), it will be hard to get through.

That's the thing, I can access YouTube without any problems.

Other forums, no matter what type are fine, as are other .tv domains.

How would mediabrowser.tv go about changing the category as it's obviously wrong.

techywarrior

Typically you'd first have to see if your IT department is manually blocking/categorizing. If not (usually they use software from a large company) you can find out which software they are using. MB can then submit a request to that company to change the categorization (which eventually will filter down to the client companies of said software)

• Like 1

That's the thing, I can access YouTube without any problems.

Other forums, no matter what type are fine, as are other .tv domains.

How would mediabrowser.tv go about changing the category as it's obviously wrong.

They probably looked at your internet usage, calculated the time you spent on this site and realized how much money they were losing  :lol:

Typically you'd first have to see if your IT department is manually blocking/categorizing. If not (usually they use software from a large company) you can find out which software they are using. MB can then submit a request to that company to change the categorization (which eventually will filter down to the client companies of said software)

I'll try and find out.

They probably looked at your internet usage, calculated the time you spent on this site and realized how much money they were losing :lol:

If that's the case, I should be blocked from the BBC News site as well then :D

It's a really stupid restriction, as I can access NZB indexer sites!!!

Edited by CBers
  • Like 1