Naming Convention for Split Movies/TV Episodes

diaz1510

diaz1510

I've got a few movies that are split into multiple parts, usually only 2 but some have a few more.  What is the naming format for movies that are split so that it MB recognizes it.  I've tried these variations but MB web client only sees the "pt 2" part:

All split parts are placed within parent folder "movie"

movie - pt1

movie - pt2

movie-pt1

movie-pt2

movie - pt 1

movie - pt 2

movie.pt.1

movie.pt.2

Is it the same for TV episodes that are split as well?

Thanks

diaz1510

cool, thanks...tried each way and it still only shows part 2...part 1 doesnt show...not sure whats going on.  I have both parts in the parent folder and tried the "- partX" format and part 1 still doesnt show....

diaz1510

Folder content.  Keep in mind I've tried every variation of "ptX" extension.541f2ba4339fb_FolderContent.jpg

Here is what it looks like when I select that file.  Notice only part 2 shows in the episode list.  It will only play part 2

541f2c42195a3_MBView.jpg

And here is the file in Metadata Manager.  It shows part 1 under "path" and in the left column, wont let me see any files under the subfolder RESTREPO

541f2bc86f663_MBmanager.jpg

it is functioning as expected in the web client, at least for now.

clicking play should start pt 1.

pt 2 needs to be played individually.

we will eventually make this seamless so that they're all blended together.

diaz1510

Okay, UPDATE:  When I click on the Play button in the upper portion of the screen (next to the poster image) it will play part 1.  And, as it says, the ADDITIONAL part will play part 2...

I guess functionally it works as it's supposed to and I was merely using it wrong.  To be honest though, it would be better, in my opinion, if both parts showed in the lower section....

Is there a way to accomplish this?  Apologies for my lack of awareness of how it was set up though...

diaz1510

lol, seems we responded at teh same time...thanks for the update and I'm glad you guys are constatntly striving to make it a better product.  Keep up the good work.  While I've got you on here, I had another post that asked why the web client media player stutters SOOOO bad.  I can't even watch anything through it.  I've tried every setting i can thnk of and even used different browsers but its all teh same...

• 3 years later...
MindBullet

Hey guys,

I just wanted to revive this topic. Wouldn't it be possible for stacked files to be a single item? I don't wanna be sir cryalot, but that's how it is on Plex. If I have multi parts on Plex the first part is playing and when it ends the video buffers and the 2nd part starts immediately in the same window without the user having to do anything. And it's shown as a single episode/movie over there. It would be much more convenient than having 2, 3, or more single entries for each part. Master @@Luke ?

• Agree 1

Yes that's what it should be, we just haven't gotten there yet. It's something that has been on our to do list for quite some time, but with the number of people using this feature very small there's seemingly always something more important, and that's more or less why it's not done yet.

• Like 1

MindBullet

Yes that's what it should be, we just haven't gotten there yet. It's something that has been on our to do list for quite some time, but with the number of people using this feature very small there's seemingly always something more important, and that's more or less why it's not done yet.

So you can count +1 for the priority :D I'm really looking forward for you to implementing it. I have quite a ton of stuff on my server and also quite a bunch multi files episodes, so I really would love to see them all as a single item :) Anyways huge props for the multi episode files (01x02x03) which is working awesome! I missed that on Plex! Good job on that!

• 2 years later...
baileyby

I was also unable to get multi-part movies to play seamlessly (in this case, a 2-sided DVD).  However, I found this really simple way to merge my two files using FFMEG that ships with emby (i.e. it's fast, free, and doesn't require installing any other software):

K:\Movies\Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)>"C:\Users\Family\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20160410\ffmpeg.exe" -i "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)-dvd1.m4v" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb "part1.ts"

K:\Movies\Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)>"C:\Users\Family\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20160410\ffmpeg.exe" -i "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)-dvd2.m4v" -c copy -bsf:v h264_mp4toannexb "part2.ts"

K:\Movies\Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991)>"C:\Users\Family\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\ffmpeg\20160410\ffmpeg.exe" -i concat:"part1.ts|part2.ts" -c copy -bsf:a aac_adtstoasc "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (1991).m4v"

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Jonathan1683
On 7/27/2018 at 6:50 AM, jaycedk said:

Hi there.

I use avidemux to join multi part files, into 1 file.

Thank you! I have been looking for something like this worked perfect.

• 2 years later...
KellyEmby

How to name episode files with multiple parts?  

For me to fix the problem where TheTVDB has one episode that was later broken into multiple episodes:

1) I copy the episodes into their folder (for me it is usually series, I don't know about movies yet)

2) Then I click the name title (i.e., “S1:E1 – The Murder of Sherlock Holmes”), that brings up additional information about that episode

3) Then under “Media Info” I click “Split Versions Apart”, that separates all the versions, click OK

4) Now “Edit Metadata” for the separated versions to the order you wish

Maybe the “Split Versions Apart” is a recent fix, only found this feature a few months ago where I used it a few times for a different problem where I had multiple versions of the same episode. I will remember this feature!!  Thank you Emby!!

2 hours ago, KellyEmby said:

How to name episode files with multiple parts?  

For me to fix the problem where TheTVDB has one episode that was later broken into multiple episodes:

1) I copy the episodes into their folder (for me it is usually series, I don't know about movies yet)

2) Then I click the name title (i.e., “S1:E1 – The Murder of Sherlock Holmes”), that brings up additional information about that episode

3) Then under “Media Info” I click “Split Versions Apart”, that separates all the versions, click OK

4) Now “Edit Metadata” for the separated versions to the order you wish

Maybe the “Split Versions Apart” is a recent fix, only found this feature a few months ago where I used it a few times for a different problem where I had multiple versions of the same episode. I will remember this feature!!  Thank you Emby!!

Hi, by multi-part episodes if you mean S1E1 part 1 and S1E1 part 2, that's not supported right now. We recommend joining the files for the best experience possible.

KellyEmby

Okay. I can get the video file joined, but how do I join the srt files??  subtitles are required.  I have found this way that when the ending credits of part 1 comes up we don't think the episode is done the jump the the next one, missing part 2.  How do I add the part 2 srt file to the end of part 1 srt file?

pwhodges

You can use Subtitle Edit to shift the times of the second file and then merge with the first; finding the necessary offset precisely enough might be a little tedious. 

It would probably be easier to embed the subtitles in the video containers using MKVToolNix, and then append the episodes which will append the included subs; you can extract the subs from the combined file afterwards if you need them to be separate.  (It may be possible to do the merge and append in a single step, but I'm not sure if the sub timing would be handled correctly in that case.)

Paul

• Agree 1

rbjtech
1 hour ago, pwhodges said:

You can use Subtitle Edit to shift the times of the second file and then merge with the first; finding the necessary offset precisely enough might be a little tedious. 

It would probably be easier to embed the subtitles in the video containers using MKVToolNix, and then append the episodes which will append the included subs; you can extract the subs from the combined file afterwards if you need them to be separate.  (It may be possible to do the merge and append in a single step, but I'm not sure if the sub timing would be handled correctly in that case.)

Paul

It also re-times any chapter points as well - on the external SRT timing - a good question.    If it doesn't, then just add the SRT to each MKV part (making it internal) and then append them both together - but I'm hoping it would be intelligent enough to do this and the external SRT's in one step.. :)

Edited by rbjtech