WebClient media player issues

diaz1510

diaz1510

I've been jumping between all 3 applications, Classic, Theater and the Web Client. I personally really like the web client best.  I do have issues with the web clients media player though.  I have heard that having an external player (I use VLC) play media is not an option with the web client, but the one that it uses often plays media extremely jerky, almost as if it's buffering.  Its extremely bad buffering, unwatchable.  I've tried changing the video quality setting to see if that changes but nothing.  My media is on a home server on another PC on my network and the mediabowser server is also on that same PC.  And I am not on wifi, my network is all on ethernet.  But even if I play the media on the local PC through th web client it stutters the media alot.  I've also tried different browsers (chrome, IE, firefox)

I can play the same media through my network directly via VLC or any other media player just fine.

Is there something I am doing wrong? A setting I am missing somewhere?  I end up having to just play media the old fashioned way and hunt it down through windows explorer and playing it through VLC.

Thanks and I love what you guys are doing...great product...

All PCs are on windows 7

unfortunately the browser can't launch programs and it's format support is limited, so it generally has to use the server's transcoding features. it sounds like the server is just struggling to transcode the content fast enough.

suggestions might be keeping  your content in browser friendly formats (mp4/h264/aac) and/or posting the server & transcoding logs to see if we might be able to identify some other issue affecting it.

you can also try this app:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-103-smart-player-for-media-browser-a-few-changes/

it wraps our web client into a standalone application, and also replaces the video player with a custom one. it will have expanded format support that may decrease the transcoding requirements.

diaz1510

I just went and re-read some of what you talked about in this thread. You mentioned its using my server's ranscoding features...

That makes me think.  My server is really just a basic PC I set up to store media and not much else..it's VERY basic and is also running windows 7, but hardware is bare bones...

Is there some hardware/software I may need to upgrade on my server possibly?  Thats not too much of an issue if it will let me play the media properly, but my objective is to keep it pretty bare.  All my bells and whistles go on my client PCs...

well for one if you don't normally enable debug transcoding logging then turn that off because it logs so aggressively that it can have an impact.

it's transcoding at 5 frames per second, when you need to be at 24 or better in order to acheive smooth video. Keep in mind that other media browser apps may not need transcoding because they have additional native format supports, it's just that the web client is limited to what the html5 subset supports.

diaz1510

o ok...I only tunrd the logging on for this thread...I have it off typically....is there something I need to do to get it to transcode at the 24 or better frames per second? Thans for the quick response BTW! And I've tried Firefox, IE and Chrome with the same results...

Edited by are6rider

buy a faster cpu, try other media browser apps, or replace the audio in the file with aac. then it should just direct stream based on the information that i can see.