Chromecast problems since Transcode update

Lighthammer

Lighthammer

I haven't had much time to follow the forums recently and felt this was something that someone had to have noticed but from a look around the forums, I don't see any topics on it yet, so here goes:

Ever since the 'big' transcode update about two weeks ago, I've noticed a considerable and dare I say horrible drop in quality chromcasting.

Previously, I've written about how Chromecast was pretty bad streaming from the Android client. As Luke and Redshirt pointed out in those threads, this is something being tackled on during the production of the Android 2 client. However, this is a different problem now. This is Chromecasting from Chrome which, previously, worked nearly flawlessly. 

Previously streaming from Chrome to a Chromecast, I might have seen a dip in audio quality, but generally it worked great. Now, streaming from Chrome to a Chromecast, I'm seeing a whole slue of new problems. These problems include: distorted picture quality, distorted screen focus (IE trying to cast 1080 to 720 or 480), distorted sound and streaming hiccups that rival streaming from Android.

In my settings, I actually PURPOSELY have things setup to try to avoid any transcoding as my videos are generally already optimized for my devices. 

Its fair to point out that streaming from Chrome to any other Media Browser client seems to have a vast improvement since the transcode update and that includes streaming from the Android web browser version.

Chromecast though --- this seems like all kinds of broken which is extremely saddening as I got 4 chromecasts when the Chromecast update came out and they're all kind of useless right now where Media Browser is concerned. It DOES mean I can spread Netflix or other streaming services everywhere (which should answer the question; yes other Chromecast apps are working perfectly).

I hope we can get this resolved kinda soon.

you're going to have to post some concrete examples, e.g. media infos, logs of that particular session, etc. chromecast coming from the web client hasn't really changed since it was first introduced.

Lighthammer

I'll get you some clean logs early this week.

I'm sure things are buried right now and I'd probably give you a headache reading through the ones I have now.  

Lighthammer

So I've been trying to reproduce these errors I was having and --- well --- I'm not sure if something changed with the most recent server patch that 'fixed it' but I'm having trouble reproducing it now. 

I'll post logs if I can reproduce it again, but next time I'm just going to post the logs as is (IE not clearing the logs and trying to reproduce).