Server Shutdown/Server restart buttons when running as a service

aziz
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi,

I have my MB server installation as a Service and not Startup app.  And it is running great.. I have one question (just in case I am missing it)

When I used the MB server in standard startup, it had two buttons, "Shutdown" and "Restart", which are very useful..

however, MB server running as a service, only has one button "Shutdown".. is this a limitation from Microsoft Service?? or is it an obstacle that we might overcome soon...

many thanks.

• Like 1

• Solution

It is an obstacle but I'm not sure when we'll overcome it.  This is the same obstacle that prevents us from auto updating when running as a service.

• Like 1

Would it be possible to create another Windows service whose sole purpose is to download the update (maybe only on demand?), shutdown MB Server service, install update, and re-run the MB Server service?  I believe Google uses a Windows service to silently update its Chrome browser.

• Like 1

Chris Jones

If no one else does i might look into doing this as it is something i need and i'm trying to find a fairly simple start to MB3 development (preferably let me know too).

If no one else does i might look into doing this as it is something i need and i'm trying to find a fairly simple start to MB3 development (preferably let me know too).

This would be a good one. Another possibility is helping with the trakt plugin.

Chris Jones

Without trying to hijack this thread, can you elaborate on the trakt plugin? (or link to details of features wanted etc.). I do use the trakt plugin so may be something i'm interested in as well.

• 2 weeks later...
mjb2000

Glad I found this post. Count me as a +1 for the people who appreciate all the hard work and are looking forward to the restart service button becoming available.

Chris Jones

I need to find some more time to spend on this. I looked into how nbzdrone handles it, and it just kicks off a separate process that stops and then starts the service. I've written a basic implementation of this but got stuck with trying to test it as I can't access the web ui when running it as a service from my dev system (@@Luke anything i need to do to get this working?). I'm also hoping there won't be any UAC/privilege problems with this approach.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Any reason why a scheduled task could not be created to stop the service update and restart or just stop start? Saves having to worry about multiple service installation and registration and scheduled tasks are a pretty stable part of the system. 

Vidman

Any reason why a scheduled task could not be created to stop the service update and restart or just stop start? Saves having to worry about multiple service installation and registration and scheduled tasks are a pretty stable part of the system.

why don't you try it and tell us how that goes;) Edited by Vidman

• 2 weeks later...