Upcoming price increase for NEW Plex Pass subscriptions

swhitmore

I just got this email, I use there software only for testing now.

So they are going to get a big increase on lifetime memberships for the next couple of days and then bottom out? Guess its good for the immediate funding, but I only pay the monthly membership. But now reminds me I need to cancel. Just keep forgetting.

Have a feeling there is going to be alot of discount promotions in there future...

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

well monthly or annual increase isn't so bad, what can you buy for a dollar these days.  But the lifetime membership doubling :o

Anyways, i installed plex a while back (2yrs ago) and only had it installed for a couple of weeks, i didn't like it one bit.

We'll see what happens with plex users.  Generally tho, if they are happy with the software then they will pay.  Those on the fence will make noise but probably stay too, hopefully we will get quite a few over.

More power to people that wanna stay with Plex, it does work. For me personally, I just don't like the direction they are going and the biggest issue I have always had with them is not allowing your own user database. But doubling the lifetime could hurt them, wish them the best.

thefirstofthe300

well monthly or annual increase isn't so bad, what can you buy for a dollar these days.  But the lifetime membership doubling :o

Anyways, i installed plex a while back (2yrs ago) and only had it installed for a couple of weeks, i didn't like it one bit.

We'll see what happens with plex users.  Generally tho, if they are happy with the software then they will pay.  Those on the fence will make noise but probably stay too, hopefully we will get quite a few over.

I haven't been very happy with there software but sadly I bought a lifetime subscription for the content syncing feature a while back so I guess I will always have access to it.  

Still, the cloud syncing feature doesn't really work at all so I would imagine that as soon as the MB devs can push out content syncing for the cloud, there will be a lot of users who want that feature migrating to MB.  I just hope that syncing hits MBS stable sometime soon.  Then I can get rid of the monstrosity that is PLEX.

I still would imagine that even without the content syncing, MBS will get a lot of attention from those looking for an FOSS media server.  That means a lot of Linux users.   :)  The only thing I can imagine that would upset the FOSS fanatics would be the closed source clients but still, they will probably support the devs anyway and buy the clients (and plugins).  I hope the devs can get the packaging figured out sometime soon.  Looking forward to the debian package in testing.   :)

• Like 1

breezytm

The price increase in my opinion was a deal breaker. There are a lot of angry users who paid for plex pass simply because they thought cloudsync worked and it didn't as advertised. Even though most of the limitations aren't on their end but still. Nevertheless, most of the other features work fine. Also with the new improved transcoder they released recently, things seems to be quite stable. Even remotely. I don't use them as much as I used to anymore due to MBC. I've always wanted a solution that integrates with WMC and MBC did it best. Less room for errors and less phone calls from my girlfriend. Never have to exit out windows media center was the selling point for me when it comes to MB.

I brought the plexpass lifetime subscription for the same reason I did with MB. To help the dev to keep on doing the amazing work that they do and I don't regret paying for it. I would be honest though, if it was the price that it is now, I probably wouldn't.

jluce50

I initially came to MB temporality until Plex implemented some sort of parental controls/multi-user support. Aside from a few minor things (mostly minor UI behaviors, device sync, slightly more polished transcoding), I've found that I prefer MB. This price increase is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. I just can't justify paying $75 before the increase in hopes that they'll someday implement what I need. Even if they do, it likely won't be as good as MB's implementation. I think it's far more likely that MB will improve on the minor issues than that Plex will hit a home run with parental controls (if they EVER implement it), frankly. Not to mention, I've grown increasingly frustrated with Plex's development priorities. So, all that to say, I'm all in with MB!

Edited by jluce50
  • Like 2

breezytm

I have to admit, the interaction we have here between developers and users. Also how fast users get a request implemented is incredible. I hope that never changed. No where else would you find such a thing. 

My fav. The developers are monitoring the forum and answer questions as they come. Beautiful. So you are not getting any he says, she says, i think, I thought...more like the right and accurate answers always. Who knows best than the person who actually wrote the app. 

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

yup.. the mb community in general even more than our specific clients/features keeps me here and always preferring the "mb way"