Media Browser not showing up in Media Center

Squirreljester
Go to solution Solved by Yogi,

Squirreljester

The old installation was awesome, you installed it, pointed it to folder, it inserted itself into Media Center, and everything worked perfectly.

I had to reinstall my computer, and now I can't get this new Media Browser to show up in my Media Center at all. I'm running the same OS (Windows 7 Pro 64-bit) on the same computer, with the same xbox 360 (newest one before the xbox one). I've tried searching for a plug-in but there doesn't seem to be one for Media Center (unless it's called something else, which would be odd).

Am I missing something here? I've got the server started on my computer, I've added my xbox as an extender, I can access my Media Center from it, but Media Browser just isn't showing up in my Media Center. Why?

Squirreljester

Also, is there a fast way to delete the images it downloads and sticks with the media? I mistakenly chose this option, and now there's an image for every episode of every TV show, in every folder I have, and you have no idea how much I hate having extra stuff in the folders like that.

Logos302

I think what your looking for is Media Browser Classic.  The software has now been split into two a server and client.  I'm not sure what images your talking about so I'm not sure.  

Squirreljester

In the Metadata section of the server there's an option to download images associated with the data, and another option to store the images with the data. I accidentally clicked the option to store the images with the data, so it downloaded image files for all of my movies and TV shows, and stored those images with the movies and TV shows. I was hoping there was an easy way to remove those, since it's literally hundreds of folders I'd have to go through otherwise.

Thanks on the Classic version, I'm sure that's what I'm looking for. How would I access this new server version?

Squirreljester

Well now it shows it's in there, but it tells me it can't connect to the Media Browser 3 Server. Do I need to have the server running as well as this classic client? I didn't used to, I used to just need the client installed on the computer and everything worked.

• Solution

You need the server running at all times to access your media via Media Browser Classic.

The server part of Mediabrowser is the hub where all your clients be it the Ios app,Android app,MBC etc access sall the information associated with your media.

Read the KB articles to get started and up and running

Server

MediaBrowser Classic

• Like 1

techywarrior

It didn't used to be like that, why did it change? It was nice and simple before.

Before the "server" was part of the client (MB) and that was fine when there was only a single client. (Media Browser was ONLY a WMC plugin) but since WMC is not being updated and probably will eventually be dropped all together, as well as the rise of media portability, it was decided to split MB into two parts.

There are many benefits to this decision. The new server component is much faster then the comparable component in MB2 and now you can have multiple clients all using the same media library. So, you have MBC in WMC like before, but now you could setup a second HTPC on another computer and install WMC and MBC and that system would use the same server. No need to have a second machine reading the library and checking for artwork etc. You can install the relevant phone app and watch your TV/Movies on your phone. Same for tablets. There is also DLNA support, Roku apps, Samsung Smart TV app, and many more. All these clients connect to the single server and can view all your media.

It also allows the server and client(s) to be updated independently so updates happen more frequently.

I'm sure once you get the hang of the new MB3 you will start to see some of the benefits. Although it can be a little tough at first since a lot has changed and a few things are no longer available (some old themes in MB2 are no longer supported because their developers have abandoned them)

• Like 1

Squirreljester

That makes sense, and yeah I see the extra functionality. You should build the add-in for WMC as a plug-in for MB3 server because a lot of people will be using that, so making that setup easy would bring a lot of customers.

Is there a way to have my xbox 360 connect directly to the MB3 server? I hate the WMC interface, it's beyond horrible, and I'm sure it would be much quicker just attaching to the MB3 server to stream. Is there an app or add-in I can install on the 360? I looked through the apps, and there's no MB3 or equivalent client that I could find.

techywarrior

You can try using DLNA on the Xbox 360. There won't be an actual Xbox 360 app but there may be an Xbox One app coming in the future.

Squirreljester

Alright, I got it all working, and used it last night. One thing I noticed though is it wasn't any faster than what I remember it was, browsing around in my movie folders, but steaming the movies it never skipped once, and was able to pause and resume pretty quickly.

I also had an odd bug where something happened to one of my library folders I created and every time I browsed to it on the xbox 360 it would tell me the app wasn't authorized. Every other folder worked fine. I deleted and recreated the library share that was causing issues and that fixed it. Not sure what happened, but it was odd.

Edited by Squirreljester

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am having the same problem. My system is W7 64. The install of media browser went through successfully however it does not show in windows media center on my desktop or xbox 360. Neither is showing up in devices on the media browser server as well. I have uninstalled media browser and reinstalled it with no errors. I have checked the install log and everything went through successfully. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

This is also on a clean OS install.

Hi, I am having the same problem. My system is W7 64. The install of media browser went through successfully however it does not show in windows media center on my desktop or xbox 360. Neither is showing up in devices on the media browser server as well. I have uninstalled media browser and reinstalled it with no errors. I have checked the install log and everything went through successfully. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

This is also on a clean OS install.

What, exactly, did you install?