Playing encrypted WTV files

tmichaeltx
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

tmichaeltx

My cable company sets the copy flag on all of the non-local channels in such a way that WMC encrypts the WTV file contents. As a result I don't expect to be able to play those files anywhere but the computer that they were recorded on (maybe an extender, but I don't really use one so I am neutral on that). 

The problem I have encountered is that both WMC itself and MB 2 treat everything as a local file and play them without any problem, while MB3 and its server architecture is not so consistent. Specifically it appears that when the file is on the local hard drive it manages to pass the file directly to MBC and it plays fine. On the other hand with the WTV file is on my NAS, the server seems to feel that it must transcode the file before sending to MBC. As a result, any encrypted WTV file fails transcoding and MBC gets a junk stream from the encoder.

Am I missing something or is there any chance that a flag could be added to play either encrypted WTV files or (not as good, but acceptable for my purpose) all WTV files directly from the file instead of from the output of the transcoding?

I have tried working with the path substitution, but it seems to have no impact on the problem.

Edited by tmichaeltx

• Solution

You need to define your library on the server using universal network naming (UNC paths) so that the MBC machine can access the files directly.

• Like 1

tmichaeltx

Thanks. This seems to have solved the problem. I am not sure why but when I installed the server on 2 different PCs, one seemed to "see" the network drive letters causing the problem I described above. Adding them via UNC whether the drive letter was visible or not did however fix my problem.