Required Format for Direct Stream

mswguitar

mswguitar

Hello,

When I first setup my MB server a couple months ago, I found this article pertaining to the correct encoding for direct streaming:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/594-unofficial-roku-public-beta/page-4&do=findComment&comment=27126

I've been encoding all of my media to meet these requirements: h264 video in mp4, 4.1 profile, 3110 Kbps avg bitrate, (Roku set to 6.2 Mbps), AAC audio when stereo, AC3 audio when 5.1. These files direct stream fine on the old, now unsupported version or of the Roku app, but seem to either transcode or stream copy on the newer version.

Have these requirements changed on the new version? If so, can someone please specify what they are?

Thanks!

mswguitar

I'm using Beta 1.64.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly too. I tried playing a couple newly encoded MP4s tonight (taken from DVD and encoded using XmediaRecode). The files aren't transcoding but I'm seeing ffmpeg-sub-extract log files for them. What's strange is that these MP4s don't have subtitles as far as I can tell. When I play them on the old version (1.17.6), there are no ffmpeg-sub-extract files in the logs directory.

I'm just trying to get everything to direct stream as often as possible.

they must have subtitles if you're seeing that. it can still direct stream even when the extraction occurs. the old roku app is not up to date with our latest streaming features. 

Hello,

When I first setup my MB server a couple months ago, I found this article pertaining to the correct encoding for direct streaming:

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/594-unofficial-roku-public-beta/page-4&do=findComment&comment=27126

I've been encoding all of my media to meet these requirements: h264 video in mp4, 4.1 profile, 3110 Kbps avg bitrate, (Roku set to 6.2 Mbps), AAC audio when stereo, AC3 audio when 5.1. These files direct stream fine on the old, now unsupported version or of the Roku app, but seem to either transcode or stream copy on the newer version.

Have these requirements changed on the new version? If so, can someone please specify what they are?

Thanks!

Hi, not sure if you are still having this issue, but I've found the best results using the guides below. I've tested 480P and 720P, and it looks great direct streaming to Roku via MB.  They also look great on MBC.

ROKODING | Video Encoding for the Roku

• 2 weeks later...
ivoidwarranties

I just picked up a Roku 3 to play around with... but I cannot seem to get my video files to direct stream.  I took a look at the ROKODING link and the only difference I can tell is that my audio track is a little different from what is recommended.  Is that what is causing my video files to transcode instead of direct stream?  

I tried configuring my media location for direct access (directory location: F:\Videos) and network access (file share: \\Server\Videos), but the video still transcode.

I also increased the max bitrate setting in the Media Browser Roku channel to the highest value.

I am not using any subtitles and the video files direct stream fine using Media Center and Media Browser Classic.

Here's a screen shot of the media info:

post-1892-0-37319100-1413046883.png

Edited by ivoidwarranties

Happy2Play

Yes it is your audio stream.  Roku does not support AAC 5.1 only AAC 2 channel.