Streaming 1080p MKV videos - CPU too slow?

cole7007

cole7007

I've been trying to stream several 1080p MKVs to remote devices and noticed that they stutter/buffer no matter what bitrate I stream at and on every device.

I finally checked the computer that runs the mediabrowser server and noticed that the CPU is pinned at 100% when trying to transcode the videos, which appears to cause the stuttering.

This computer is a complex setup so I'd like to try and upgrade the CPU to allow smooth transcoding, instead of setting up a new system.

Can someone with more knowledge than me let me know if what I'm trying to do will have a good chance of fixing the stuttering problem?

Current Setup:

CPU: AMD 64 X2 4200+  2.2 Ghz, dual core

Motherboard ECS A780GM-A - Socket AM2+/AM3 ready

Windows 7 32 bit

4 gig - 1066 DDR2 RAM

Motherboard link: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=866&CategoryID=1&MenuID=20&LanID=0

Looking to replace CPU with an AMD Phenom ii X6 1055T 2.8 Ghz, 6 core

1) Do you think this will fix the server transcoding video stuttering problem?

2) Would a lesser CPU also do the trick?  (The 1055T is about $200 and I could get a Phenom ii X4 for about $100)

Thanks!

The Baron

I would suggest performing a quick test. Play a 1080p mkv, through the Web viewer of the PC that MBS resides on, then open up Performance Monitor.

This will give you real time info of the load the CPU is under. So you can check to see at what point the processor is overwhelmed by progressively choosing a higher quality transcode setting while playing the file.

Regarding the Phemon ii that you referenced, that should be able to handle what you are after. I would also add more RAM, bring the system up to 8GB.

Regarding purchasing a lesser CPU as an upgrade. I have a quad-core i5 and it has no problems with multiple transcoding sessions. If your budget will stretch to the better CPU, I would say buy the better CPU. 

• Like 1

cole7007

Thank you for the suggestions and info.  I'll play around through the web viewer and see when the CPU gets overloaded.

Unfortunately I'm on Windows 7 32bit so 4gig of RAM is all I can throw at it :-(

My motherboard is only capable of AM2+ and AM3 socket processors so I'm stuck with AMD for the time being.  I found a Phenom ii X6 1035T (2.6 Ghz) for $125 so I may just use that as a stop gap solution. 

In the long run I would like to upgrade the entire computer/server but the thing holding me back is that a ton of things are configured and working properly at the moment (carbonite, media center master, MB3, sharing, handbrake,  etc).

Ironically when I had time, money was the issue, now that I have enough $ for a new computer, time is the issue.  I guess that's the way it works...

The Baron

The powers that be are releasing an export/import tool that should make migrating MBS to a different host a simpler process.

So if you have the dollars, it may still be worth thinking about upgrading. It will still be a bit of a chore but hopefully not so bad on the time front.

Heckler

I was running MB server on an aging platform too. I was running an old Athlon II X2 250 (dual core 3ghz) with 4GB of DDR2 ram... It was struggling a little although I was only watching on that system and streaming to one other.

After an accident, I had to rebuild and upgrade... Went for 8GB ddr3, and the FX AM3+ CPU, 6 core @3.5ghz and about 3.9ghz turbo.

I'd highly recommend the complete upgrade route rather than a temp measure, save up and do it all in one go, along with a copy of Win7 64. In the UK there are MS programs for students that allow you to purchase Win 7 64 Pro for a third of the retail cost... All you need is to know a child in school.  :)

I got 2 copies that way and saved me a bundle.

cole7007

Thanks for the suggestions.  I actually have a current .edu account so I would qualify for a student version on Win 7.  I'll have to check into it, thanks!

My main concern with upgrading is really the configuration hassle for other programs such as my raid 5 data, media center master (add-ons configured to automate the process) and having to deal with Carbonite and potentially moving 450 Gb of date back to their "cloud" if I use a new computer (the first time took 7 months!).

Sounds like maybe the complete upgrade is a good project for between Christmas and NYE when I have the week off work.

I've been using MB for many years and was still using MB2 until this summer.  Changing to MB3 has been a great experience, I can't believe I waited this long.  My kids & wife all love being able to access the server content on their mobile devices (and so do I when I travel for work).  Like many people have said in the past, once Live TV is added and stable there will be no reason to use WMC anymore.  That would be a good Christmas present as well :-) 

Edited by cole7007

A8HTPC

Streaming over internet is very tough on the CPU if the remote client does not except the the Video and/or Audio streams and if you upload speed or their download speed is not fast enough. Direct Play Streaming does not require transcoding which is much less stressful on the CPU. Most times though, you will need to transcode on the fly which my AMD A8 3870K 3Ghz 4 Core processor has a hard time handling 2 transcodes at the same time at a pretty low quality.

Intel is the best for transcoding. Doesn't have much to do with your ram. I have 8Gb in my server.

Keep your transcoding quality and bitrate low.

I have issues with both MB and Plex when it comes to transcoding. In either case though, a remote software which can Direct Play both Audio and Video with a fast enough internet connection won't need to transcode and puts very little stress on the server.

Some 1080p movies need over 20-30MB/sec to play correctly. That's hard.

Edited by A8HTPC