Auto Boxset Duplicating Collections and doing a worse job

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

just looking around my library after adding some metadata and i noticed i have two visual representations of the American Pie Collection.

Background, i have the auto box set plug in installed but i also configure my own collections through the physical location of the files. So on my media server in the movies folder i have a folder "American Pie Collection" with all 9 movies in there. i have a collection.xml in there too which i know MB3 doesn't use but other software does.

Both collections show up but the autobox set one only has 8 movies. why is the plugin duplicating my physical collections and why is it doing a worse job? i guess the answer to the latter is that someone hasn't linked all 9 movies on imdb? but in either case i'd expect my manual collections to override and system created ones where they duplicate.

any clues?

Auto box sets is primarily for people who don't want to manage them manually. However, it is compatible with the now-published method of using the web interface to create collections.  The method you are using has been undocumented although it is still supported.  If you wish to use that method, you can't also use the other methods for the same collections.

On the second point, the automatic functionality can only be as good as the source data but it is tmdb, not imdb that is the source.

Spaceboy

So am I better going for a completely flat structure and letting the plugin do its best then fix any issues on tmdb?

So am I better going for a completely flat structure and letting the plugin do its best then fix any issues on tmdb?

That would be my suggestion because now the system can display your collections for you in-line and on a user-preference basis.

Spaceboy

ok so i flattened my library structure, deleted the manually created collection folders and re ran everything. mostly everything seems right now. except something seems to be recreating the manually created collection folders in my movies folder and putting movie subfolders with a movie.xml within them. so effectively recreating my same folder structure but with no media or picture files.

i have save metadata locally turned on so i immediately assumed it was how the auto boxset plugin created the collections. but on looking closer the collections in mbs and those physically in the movies folder are not consistent. something else could be doing this though so i'll keep looking

Spaceboy

never mind, after deleting them again they seem to have gone away. they do seem to have been recreated through that initial library refresh post deleting them. all seems good, now to start on tmdb!

Yeah, that's an old bug in the server I don't think we've ever been able to track down because it only happens sometimes.