Remote Access

wolf359
Go to solution Solved by berrick,

wolf359

I have looking around on the forums on how to get access from outside my local network and look at the web client Say at a friends house and we want to watch a film from my server.

I have had no luck in getting this to work after trying all different ip addresses.

I found this on the forum 

Please note: You need to open the MB3 server port (TCP) to the local network if you are using a third party firewall. Normally the MB3 server will do that for you if you are using the Windows firewall. If you want to also access the MB3 server over the internet (WAN), then you need as well to forward the port number MB3 server use (TCP) in your router settings.

Now not being a tech person I have no idea what this means is there a step by step guide on how to do this and I assume you have to mess about with router settings. My router is a BT  Home Hub 5 and I am using McAfee Net protect Plus that comes with BT

Any help would be great as I can only get the web client  when putting in localhost as the address atm

Good day,

1 - You need to port forward the mb3 port within your router, good site for this:

Ports forward

2 - For McAfee (I really do not use this) but in general, like this page.

My best

• Like 1

• Solution
berrick

Hi Wolf359,

First thing you need to do is get your external IP (WAN) address. To do this use this link http://www.whatsmyip.net/. Your IP will be shown at the top of the page.

Next

1. Open a web browser and type the IP address of your router. In this case the HH5 default IP 192.168.1.254 If this doesn't work you need to get your default gateway IP address and use that instead
  2. Login
  3. You should now be on the home page. Click the Settings tab
  4. Click advanced settings.
  5. Click Continue to advanced settings
  6. Click Firewall
  7. Click Manage games and applications
  8. Now Click Add new game or application
  9. In the Game/Application name field name the rule, MB3 for this example but you are free to choose the name
  10. Copy an existing game/application: click NO
  11. Choose TCP for the protocol
  12. Under Port Range and Translate To enter 8096, then click Add, then Apply
  13. Click Firewall from the menu
  14. Click the Game or application drop down and find MB3 which we just created
  15.  Hop across to the Device drop down and Click either select device (the one you want to reach from the internet. Your MB3 server) from the list or select user defined IP address and enter the IP address of the computer running your MB3 server
  16. Click Apply

If all has gone well you should now be able to reach your server from the internet using the following URL

http://YourWANIPAddress:8096/mediabrowser/dashboard/index.html

YourWANIPAddress = the IP address you got from http://www.whatsmyip.net

Remeber to set passwords for all users who can access your server. Also take a look at this post http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/1563-port-forwarding-a-guide/ it may prove useful?

Just whilst you are getting this to work it might be helpful to temporarily disable your Mcafee product. Please dont forget to re enable it.

To test you have everything working you wont be able to do this with a PC connected to your router. You will need to get someone from the internet to test it for you or use your phone providing it isn't connected to the internet using your BT HH5 WiFi

Edited by berrick
  • Like 2

berrick

Glad to hear it. Have fun!

Thanks for the thumbs up.... could you click the best answer button on my post? I think this will then show the post as answered and may be helpful to others as well.

Many thanks