Please Update Video Player for movies with Dolby Atmos

canachi

canachi

First, thank you for an awesome program.

Can you guys please update the Video Player for movies with Dolby Atmos (i.e. Transformers: Age Of Extinction).

I'm using madVR and MBT version 3.0.5390.22523.

The issue is supposed to be fixed with the latest LAV filters (0.63), but I installed them and no dice. The movie just doesn't start.

I updated to the latest MPC-HC and it plays flawlessly.

I've been using MBT for 6 months now and this is the first problem I have.

Regards.

Edited by canachi

AgileHumor

Try opening it on Windows Media Player...does it play in there?

If not, you may need to work with your multimedia codecs at the system level...before it will work in the applications that depend on the system codecs working.

canachi

Try opening it on Windows Media Player...does it play in there?

If not, you may need to work with your multimedia codecs at the system level...before it will work in the applications that depend on the system codecs working.

My understanding is that the LAV filter is bitstreaming the audio?

The latest MPC-HC 1.7.6.280 is bitstreaming the Dolby TrueHD audio and my receiver is decoding it just fine.

The following is one of the release notes for LAV filters 0.63:

- Fixed: TrueHD streams with an Dolby Atmos sub-stream were not demuxed properly

Although for decoding:

TrueHD Atmos

Really just a bugfix, but maybe still worth mentioning, TrueHD streams with an Atmos substream decode perfectly in this version. Its important to note that the Atmos data is just discarded and not decoded in any way, but the lossless TrueHD stream is decoded perfectly now, while before the Atmos extension screwed up decoding.

Ghostm

If anyone wants the latest lav filters before they are tested and pushed out globally, you can try at your own risk

Babgvant mentioned this.

"<add key="PrivateObjectsManifest" value="http://cdn.mediabrow...y/mbt_com/edge/" />

in the <appSettings> section. It should already have it minus the "/edge". What I'd like to do is test out the newest set of DS filters via an opt-in mechanism where people make that change to pull down the next set of filters before rolling it out globally."

Of course if you have no interest in testing new filters in mbt, do not add this.  But if you want the latest give this a try. 

Della Dog

Could you please specify where this is located?

Couldn't  find it in any config file.

If my understanding is correct, it's really annoying to have two (2) separate installations of LAV to configure.

(For those of us that already have LAV installed and configured. Currently, LAV Filters 0.63.0 (released 2014/10/03) )

Thanks

If anyone wants the latest lav filters before they are tested and pushed out globally, you can try at your own risk

Babgvant mentioned this.

"<add key="PrivateObjectsManifest" value="http://cdn.mediabrow...y/mbt_com/edge/" />

in the <appSettings> section. It should already have it minus the "/edge". What I'd like to do is test out the newest set of DS filters via an opt-in mechanism where people make that change to pull down the next set of filters before rolling it out globally."

Of course if you have no interest in testing new filters in mbt, do not add this.  But if you want the latest give this a try. 

Ghostm

"app" is "mediabrowsertheater".ui.exe.config its in the system folder where you installed mbt. 

Eventually I think he plans to add this to the gui for those who want to test the very latest lav filters  before rolling them out globally. 

I dont know if that was his design or that was included when mbt was built, but i assume they have reasons for it and going this route, otherwise you could have some people using lav filters from 2 years ago having issues with mbt, another with lav filters from a year ago, and others using lav filters just released that are not stable with mbt that could cause other conflicts. This way they will be rolled out as one globally, except for people who want to be alpha testers of the very latest. You also cant always rely on users to keep their filters up to date, this way mbt takes care of it itself. 

That is my guess why its done this way. 

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 1

babgvant

If my understanding is correct, it's really annoying to have two (2) separate installations of LAV to configure.

(For those of us that already have LAV installed and configured. Currently, LAV Filters 0.63.0 (released 2014/10/03) )

If you choose to install LAV (or any DS filter for that matter) on your PC you can configure it however you like, but MBT won't use that set of filters unless you ask it (there's a setting for that in the app config). Choosing to do that will put MBT in an unsupported configuration (from my perspective), so it is a Spiderman dilemma.

MBT has its own playback configuration surfaced through the video player settings UI. For the most part you just need to tell MBT some basic details about your system and it will take care of the rest.

I can understand that it might be mildly frustrating to not be on-the-cutting-edge, but for most users the ability to self manage (what DS filters to install, keeping them up-to-date, how to configure them, etc.) leads to a level of frustration and unsupportability that is orders of magnitude greater.

• Like 1

babgvant

"app" is "mediabrowsertheater".ui.exe.config its in the system folder where you installed mbt. 

Eventually I think he plans to add this to the gui for those who want to test the very latest lav filters  before rolling them out globally. 

I dont know if that was his design or that was included when mbt was built, but i assume they have reasons for it and going this route, otherwise you could have some people using lav filters from 2 years ago having issues with mbt, another with lav filters from a year ago, and others using lav filters just released that are not stable with mbt that could cause other conflicts. This way they will be rolled out as one globally, except for people who want to be alpha testers of the very latest. You also cant always rely on users to keep their filters up to date, this way mbt takes care of it itself. 

That is my guess why its done this way. 

The UI work is already done, it just needs to work it's way through the release process.

Use of private COM objects, deployed via out-of-band side loading is something I added to the player (along with several other stability and performance improvements). The main benefit is that (like Ghostm mentioned) MBT can enforce a modern, known, consistent, and stable set of DS filters without users having to manage it themselves. You configure MBT once and it takes care of everything else. Secondarily, the first run UX is much cleaner because you don't need to download and install (which requires admin rights) a slew of DS filters.

• Like 2

babgvant

Thank you both for the replies.

LAV 0.63 has been moved to the stable filter source. If you want to force MBT to update it close MBT, delete LastChecked.txt in the COMObjects folder, and start MBT again.

Edited by babgvant
  • Like 1

canachi

Thank you all for the replies.

LAV 0.63 has been moved to the stable filter source. If you want to force MBT to update it close MBT, delete LastChecked.txt in the COMObjects folder, and start MBT again.

Great, MBT is now playing Movies with Dolby Atmos. Although, I had to modify the mediabrowsertheater.ui.exe.config file for the LAV filter to finally update. Maybe I tried to update too soon?

MBT now plays perfectly every movie I have on my server. I'm surprise people is still having problems playing videos, I have never had a single issue, I'm even Using madVR.

Regards.

• Like 1