Invalid Application

Savage13

pablo.bolomey

I'm having same issue when using the internal player, my sever an Mac Classic are up to date the the most recent release, show reaches end and then it fails to an invalid application once confirm it restarts mbc. To solve the issue I turn off internal player.

I am still having the problem and have made no changes that I am aware of to my library structure that I am aware of.  Is this the log you need?  If not please give me specific instructions on how to get what you need to isolate this problem.  Thanks!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfhr3dolaz4a84r/Log.evtx?dl=0

Unfortunately, this doesn't tell me anything.  Are there any other errors around the same time?

Did you update Chocolate?

I'm having same issue when using the internal player, my sever an Mac Classic are up to date the the most recent release, show reaches end and then it fails to an invalid application once confirm it restarts mbc. To solve the issue I turn off internal player.

Using one of Lee's themes per chance?

I'm using the breeze theme

I believe that is something specific with those themes but I don't think it has been identified exactly what.  Following the instructions for finding the windows event log error and posting that information in this other thread: MBC new UI crashes after playback would be very helpful.

pablo.bolomey

I believe that is something specific with those themes but I don't think it has been identified exactly what. Following the instructions for finding the windows event log error and posting that information in this other thread: MBC new UI crashes after playback would be very helpful.

Will do thanks

No other errors. I've ripped out all themes and their files completely to try to figure this out.

So not even running Chocolate?

Can you please install the latest beta of Chocolate and see if it still happens?  If it does, please post exactly what you do and how it crashes.  Thx.

• 4 weeks later...
fraenhawk

Server 3.0.5424.1

MBC 3.0.237.0

Chocolate 3.0.7.1

Also running chocolate (and I tried the DLL you posted earlier in the thread - no difference) and getting the Invalid Application message. My problem is it's only sometimes. 3-4 tries later I finally get into Media Browser and I never get kicked out once I'm in.

I captured the application event log from the last time it just did it. 

A couple of other tidbits: I never had this problem until the one or two server updates ago (3.0.5416?), but that could just be coincidence. I have three HTPCs and also have Media Browser on my PC for testing and don't experience this on the others. Reading the last part of the error (GetServerMediaInfoImages()), is it possible it's something cached on this PC that can be cleared and reset? I know in MBC2 there were locally cached images that every so often I would need to clear with the configurator. Is everything server-side in MB3 or is there still some local caching that happens? The only other thing I can think of is if it's just the PC (hard drive or network problem) since sometimes when it successfully loads my views are reset and I get the reminder about becoming a supporter even though I am one and the server knows it. Thought I'd look here first because everyone's been so helpful and found this thread.

@@Luke, the only way this could be happening is if Images/MediaInfo is returning images with a null name.  Any idea how that could be the case?

i am not sure. i think it's just pulling them straight from the file system so i don't think that could happen. probably need more logging client side to sniff it out

This is the only line of code in the method that is throwing a null ref so it has to be a null name:

hash.Add((image.Theme ?? "all").ToLower() + image.Name.ToLower());

fraenhawk

@@ebr can you be more specific? I'm looking at my IBN directory on the server and don't have a media info folder if that's what you mean. I used to run custom icons back in the MB2 days. Is there somewhere to check on that client possibly or is that all server-side now?

Well, it shouldn't be a problem as I imagine 95% of people don't have that folder in there (you have to create it manually if you want it).

Do you have a server log from when this problem occurs?

fraenhawk

Here you go: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx7QOIKqt9KNLUdfbVpEWUR2REk/view?usp=sharing

The time stamp from the event log was 17:02. The HTPC in question is FAMILYHTPC, sorry it looks like the kids were on one of the others at the same time, so you can ignore the logs for PLAYHTPC that are mixed in...

I do see a couple of message like this around that time:

Error - ServerManager: SessionWebSocketListener failed processing WebSocket message Context
Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: id
System.ArgumentNullException
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Library.LibraryManager.GetItemById(Guid id)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionManager.ReportNowViewingItem(String sessionId, String itemId)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessContextMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Session.SessionWebSocketListener.ProcessMessage(WebSocketMessageInfo message)
  at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.ServerManager.ServerManager.<>c__DisplayClass3.<>c__DisplayClass5.<<ProcessWebSocketMessageReceived>b__2>d__7.MoveNext()

I have access to the server from work but not the HTPC. If you wind up needing those logs, we'll have to wait until tonight. Please let me know if there's anything else I can look for.

fraenhawk

Okay, so I went home and cleared out C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\ImageCache from the problem client, just in case. There's a MediaInfo directory in the MBC folder but no ALL or Chocolate subdirs. Still no luck. Just to make sure I wasn't having network problems with that PC, I opened up Windows Explorer to a share on the server and also ran a continuous ping to the server to make sure there were no hickups while repeatedly running MBC and backing out to WMC. Every 5 or so times I would get either the Invalid Application message or sometimes a Media Browser could not start WMC message. Never did I lose network connectivity though.

I'm attaching the MBC logs that contain the problems. I found the one that aligns with that 17:02 yesterday, and one is from tonight if they help any...

Still, the thing that's bugging me is that it's only one of four PCs. I've tried and tried on two of the others to get them to fail and no luck which is why I was thinking corruption on the PC. Maybe it's time to uninstall and reinstall MBC - and run a sector scan of the hard drive too if you guys don't have any ideas.

MBClassic-18112014620b115cda984cef9f0983770d11e581.log

MBClassic-1711201463662d37f4c64de897758d3eeddffd91.log

fraenhawk

I found the lines you're referring to. Well that's interesting because that's not a NAS. That's a Windows Server with all internal drives. It's just referencing itself via UNC as per the setup guide recommendations. 

Do your hard drives spin down?

What you are describing sounds like it could be related to drive spin down.

fraenhawk

Okay, I checked the server event logs and I don't think the dropped shares are related to my MBC problem. I run WHS 2011. It had reported a "server cannot access the internet" event so I had clicked the "resolve problem" option which started a quick network diagnostic. It was enough of a burp that MBS couldn't contact the shares during the library scan but it had started organizing files on the shares again for 5 minutes before the login problem.

Since I haven't seen this symptom on the other HTPCs, all of which are running MBC, I'm really leaning towards something about that one client. I just had no idea where to start researching, but now that you've pointed out the error is related to the mediainfo images, I'll definitely double-check the client side imagecache info mentioned in that other thread.

fraenhawk

Do your hard drives spin down?

What you are describing sounds like it could be related to drive spin down.

Nope, not a spin down. That was pure bad luck that I had that server problem around the same time as the MBC client problem. I went back through the logs and am not seeing the share problem other times recently, whereas I'm having the client problems multiple times a day.

Those messages are unrelated and harmless.

I do notice that your NAS appears to have gone offline just before this occurred.  I wonder if that is related somehow.

In any case, it doesn't seem to me that the server should ever be returning to me media info images with null names.  I can avoid the error on my end but that will probably just be masking the real problem.