Invalid Application

Savage13

The error that is occurring is due to an unexpected result from an API call from the server.  The only thing I can think to do beyond this is to create a special debug build of MBC for you to install that will dump the raw response from the API call and maybe that will give us some kind of clue.

Okay, I just put up a new dev build (239).  Please install it on the problem machine, start it up until the problem occurs and then post the log. Thanks.

fromthewoods

Server: 3.0.5435.39085

MBC: 3.0.224.0

MBC will not load for me. Getting Invalid application. Tried updating to Server Dev build, tried swapping in Chocolate.dll (I'm using Xenon for my HTPC and Chocolate for Xbox Extender). There's nothing in the event viewer (App/System). Event Log and MBC log here. http://1drv.ms/1qothoL

This just started happening this evening. Everything was working this afternoon. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by fromthewoods

elwood3184

I to have been having problems with MBC

When I started MBC today I was offered to update NEW DEV Update

So I let go and update

Normally MBC would start again

It didnot restart after the update

After 15 mins I started WMC then MBC

Unable to Launch mediabrowser3  Disable the App

So no MBC so I try MBT I get a msg to put in sever info and port

where as on other occasions jumps straight into MBT

Checked all the config in MBC (I use Diamond)

Rebooted

went in WMC then MBC same old Unable to launch mb3

I restored pc to proir to update and there was no change

It appears the problem was in the update MBC DEV

Above EBR metioned a fix (instructions and where to download) not listed

Make sure you guys are using Dev releases for the right reason - to help test. If that's not why you're on Dev, then consider switching back to Beta or Stable in order to avoid situations like this.

fromthewoods

Luke, to revert back to official releases, can I just run the server install from the download page? I don't see how else to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

yes but before you do so make sure to set your update level within the server/mbc or  it will just download dev again

fromthewoods

Ok @@ebr, I just uploaded logs for several different attempts to load MBC. I tried it on the stable, and dev server releases, and the stable and beta MBC releases. Still getting invalid application. Thanks!

http://1drv.ms/1t3zIc2

Edited by fromthewoods

elwood3184

Went back and changed the level back to Beta

Uninstalled MBC I tried the repair no good

Downloaded new copy of MBC

Installed

All working good again I will just stick with Beta

As a VERY LONG user of MB 1.2.3

I might want to now and then have a look at DEV ver with all the warnings attached.

The reporting back measures and methods are not known to me.

will have a look around and see how I can help

Elwood

Cheesegeezer

Ok @@ebr, I just uploaded logs for several different attempts to load MBC. I tried it on the stable, and dev server releases, and the stable and beta MBC releases. Still getting invalid application. Thanks!

http://1drv.ms/1t3zIc2

You are running a very old version of Xenon which hasn't got the new security authentication in required to access info from the server.  By the looks of it you are running version 1.0.0.10

Current version of Xenon is 1.0.0.18

Here's how to fix it.  Go to MBC Plugins folder and DELETE - Xenon.dll file located here C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\Plugins

You're ProgramData folder may be hidden so enable show Hidden files and folders. Or just copy and paster the address above in your address bar on a folder.

Launch MBC then go to plugins catalogue and download Xenon again.

Cheers

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 1

fraenhawk

Okay, I switched to dev this morning on that PC. Was able to get the problem a few times and uploading logs. One change is that every error I got was now the Program Not Responding (Media Browser) instead of Invalid Application. But that might be from the debug changes you made. Still happening in the same place. Basically, when we launch MBC from WMC and it says Welcome Back you can tell it's going to have a problem because normally it switches to the library within the first 2-3 dots, but if it makes it to 6 it's probably going to fail. Lol, and just now I was trying to get the wording of the load screen and it finally failed on another PC for the first time (this one is running beta, not dev). It went to 6 dots, got the Program Not Responding (the blue WMC version, not a Windows popup dialog). If you let it sit and don't click OK, it then switches to the Invalid Application dialog - didn't know that.

As far as the logs, I did experience one different behavior that should be reflected in the longer log. This is one of the things I described originally. Every so often, instead of it completely failing, MBC loads but acts like it didn't read settings. I got the green supporter popup, my default view  (Shows - Unwatched) was there with no items. There should always be items there. I could move to another library and the unwatched posters showed up, but if I moved back to Shows it was still blank. So I hit enter to go into Shows and 3 of the Series had blank posters and then it finally gave the Program Not Responding message. So that session lasted longer and might give some different details.

The log even shows: 2014-11-19 07:06:19.0564,Debug,,unwatched list for Shows loaded with 0 items.,44,Worker thread for Newest Item Loader

so does that mean the server told the client there were 0 shows? Do you need the server log that covers that time as well?

MBClassic-19112014b08f3274d89c455e85233cff1d746b2f.log

MBClassic-191120142ea663523a2e4231872a998731c11e0d.log

MBClassic-191120148f02983016a04bf292d2c78941714995.log

MBClassic-191120149ab12272ecae4bceb8c824b8430f3bf9.log

You guys that had the problem starting the dev version of MBC last night - that was my fault.  I had a bad release up for about three minutes and you guys were the lucky winners.  As you've found by now, simply re-installing from the web site should fix you up.  Also, the dev version that is up now should be fine.

fraenhawk - Unfortunately, you are now having a completely different problem that means you aren't even getting to my debug code to try and find the first one and I am baffled.

What version of MBC were you running before you updated to this one?

fraenhawk

Nope, didn't change anything other than install the dev version this morning.

As of last night I was running MBC 3.0.237.0.

What's different in the logs between yesterday and today that you're saying it's a different problem now? When I look at the first log in each post, they both end with identical messages.

Your initial problem was that we were getting back unexpected results from an API call that retrieves MI images from the server so I put in some logging showing me exactly what we were getting back.  This runs fine on my system and reports what I expect - but I wasn't having the original problem either.

Now, in all four of your logs above, you are still getting unexpected results back from a server API call but in a very different way and from a completely different call.

Its like something in your network environment is messing with our network traffic.

If you are available right now, I can try and build another debug with messages in the spot where it is failing now but something very weird is going on...

fromthewoods

You are running a very old version of Xenon which hasn't got the new security authentication in required to access info from the server. By the looks of it you are running version 1.0.0.10

Current version of Xenon is 1.0.0.18

Here's how to fix it. Go to MBC Plugins folder and DELETE - Xenon.dll file located here C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser-Classic\Plugins

You're ProgramData folder may be hidden so enable show Hidden files and folders. Or just copy and paster the address above in your address bar on a folder.

Launch MBC then go to plugins catalogue and download Xenon again.

Cheers

Thanks Cheesegeezer. Deleting and reinstalling Xenon fixed the MBC not loading issue. What I don't understand is that the configurator says it's downloading stable plugin releases, but that didn't appear to happen.

Edited by fromthewoods

fromthewoods

Now I see that it only checks on admin logins. That explains it. It would be nice if there was a way around this. I normally never log into my admin profile unless I need to do admin work.

fraenhawk

@@ebr Sorry, I have access to the server but not the client from work so it won't be until late tonight before I can try.

Since I'm not seeing this on other HTPCs in the house (ignore what I said about the 2nd PC this morning - that was my fault) but I know it's not a network interruption after yesterdays tests, I'm still leaning towards the problem being on the client not the server and it sounds like you might be leaning more that way now too. Are you reading the network stream straight from memory or is there any hard drive caching going on that a bad hard drive could cause these symptoms? This is the oldest of my PCs..

Now I see that it only checks on admin logins. That explains it. It would be nice if there was a way around this. I normally never log into my admin profile unless I need to do admin work.

Plugins are updated for normal users and the new beta of MBC will give even a normal user an indicator and button to update MBC when there is one available.

• Like 2

@@ebr Sorry, I have access to the server but not the client from work so it won't be until late tonight before I can try.

Since I'm not seeing this on other HTPCs in the house (ignore what I said about the 2nd PC this morning - that was my fault) but I know it's not a network interruption after yesterdays tests, I'm still leaning towards the problem being on the client not the server and it sounds like you might be leaning more that way now too. Are you reading the network stream straight from memory or is there any hard drive caching going on that a bad hard drive could cause these symptoms? This is the oldest of my PCs..

No caching (other than normal http) going on.

fraenhawk

Plugins are updated for normal users and the new beta of MBC will give even a normal user an indicator and button to update MBC when there is one available.

That's a cool change. On two of the three HTPCs I use my Adults login that is an admin so gets the notifications, but on the Playroom one the Kids are the default so tends to fall behind unless I manually get updates on it.