Media Browser for Roku / Subtitles - Example Captain America 2

jhs39

I can't get subtitles to work anymore on Roku.  The subs are srt.  They show up on the web client so I know Media Centre recognizes them.  I try to select in the Roku playback window but that doesn't work.  I try to use the * to select the subs in the closed-captioning window--that doesn't work.  Am I missing something?

davidmcgill

I have a question about how to configure the subtitles to play ONLY foreign language subtitles, such as in Captain America The Winter Soldier. Example: between minutes 8:00 and 10:00 when they are speaking french to each other... I was able to get it working with the web client but not the Roku. It worked when I selected the last of three "English" subtitles in the web client. For this movie, the three subtitle options that I found were 1.) English, All Spoken Subtitles, 2.) Director's Comments Subtitles 3.) English, Partial Subtitles (the one I want to play), but they are all named with the same name within the .mkv bluray rip.

Another topic, probably will post in MBT area: With the MBT app, I can switch subtitles - I have forced only as a default, but using Shift-8, I can change them to the third English subtitle - but when I pick one English subtitle, all three subtitles are "red" or selected, but I don't get any subtitles playing.

Thanks for all your hard work on the apps.

Dave

have you configured your user profile language preferences in the web client? that is the first place to start.

i just did a test and everything worked great on a Roku 3. The subs played automatically based on my user profile settings.

• Like 1

davidmcgill

have you configured your user profile language preferences in the web client? that is the first place to start.

i just did a test and everything worked great on a Roku 3. The subs played automatically based on my user profile settings.

Thanks, I set it up like you suggested, and I also researched more on using MakeMKV, found that I can set specific names for each subtitle (once I figure out what each one does) then also set the third one with a flag of 'f' for forced since it is a forced subtitle but isn't labeled as one. I'm hoping that this will do the trick. Thanks again, and I'll report on what I have found.

Where do you configure user profile language preferences in the web client?  The only screen I can find related to subtitles is whether you let Media Browser download subtitles automatically or not. 

Unfortunately everything looks like it set correctly in playback preferences so it doesn't look like that's going to help me.  Thanks anyway.

I can't get subtitles to work anymore on Roku.  The subs are srt.  They show up on the web client so I know Media Centre recognizes them.  I try to select in the Roku playback window but that doesn't work.  I try to use the * to select the subs in the closed-captioning window--that doesn't work.  Am I missing something?

The topic suggests this is for the official Media Browser for roku client. Your use of "Media Centre" confuses things. Do you mean, "Media Centre", the unofficial roku client? Is it this client that cannot handle subtitles in .srt? Perhaps the title of this thread should be changed so the author of "Media Centre" on roku can handle it, rather than the media browser core team?

davidmcgill

BTW, I don't know how jhs39 got into this topic, as I originally started the thread "Media Browser for Roku / Subtitles - Example Captain America 2" - weird? 

Back to the original question then - I was able to get it configured properly in the user profiles (thank you) and I learned a few things about ripping movies with MakeMKV and naming the closed captioning properly, marking "non-labeled-forced" subtitles with a flag of "f" to make them the "Forced Subtitles" which the app will then pick up and use.

Issue resolved as far as I'm concerned. Thanks to all that replied with suggestions.

davidmcgill--I originally started this topic.  If you look at the very top it says started by jhs39 October 11, 2014.  My topic was on not being able to get the subtitles to work in general.  I'm not sure how my thread and yours got merged--maybe one of the devs did it because they thought it was the same issue. 

speechless--I am referring to the official Roku Client, not one of the unofficial ones.  The official client on my Roku is called Media Browser and that is what I can't get my subtitles to work on more than 50% of the time.  I typed Media Centre in error possibly because I was so used to reporting problems with that unofficial client.  I apologize for any confusion my mistake might have caused. 

I have a Roku 3.  I've already come to the conclusion that there's no point in trying external subtitles that aren't srt so if I have subtitles in a different format I convert them.  That works about half the time.  Internal subtitles that are part of the video file rarely work and I normally have to get external subs for there to be any chance of the subtitles working.  Is there some specific formatting that Media Browser wants in order to play them on the Roku?

there should not be anything you need to do. you probably want to start by posting the server log from the occasion you expected subtitles to play, and they didn't.

also you probably want to review that the languages of the sub tracks are correct in MBS. If they are not then that could explain it.

FrostByte

I had a couple subtitles that just would not play on my Roku 3.  I posted one of the non-working subtitles and ebr figured out that the font was different.  As soon as I changed the font everything worked fine.

FrostByte

Courier New.  I use that on all my srt files now.  The subtitle files I had that were not working were a different font, though I'm sure other fonts work as well. 

I was going through my movie files to try and figure out why some subtitles aren't working in Roku.  I noticed something that I don't understand.  I have some movies where the soundtrack is language identified, there is an SRT subtitle file that is language identified.  The thing I don't understand is that sometimes the subtitle will show up in the web client as default=yes and sometimes it will show up as default=no.  How does the web client determine that? 

FrostByte

for internal subtitles I use a utility called mkvmerge from the MKVtoolnix utilities to mark the default as Luke mentioned.  For external subtitles add "foreign" to the end of the filename i.e. subtitlename.eng.foreign.srt

I tried adding foreign to the end of an srt subtitle.  It still shows default=no but now forced=yes.  Is that what was supposed to happen?

FrostByte

Correct, with the foreign flag it will display as forced in the webclient.  Not sure how to set them to default, but I've never really needed to have them set as default as I only have one srt file usually and only if there are non-English parts.  My playback option is set to forced subtitles

I went through my videos and made sure the ones with the subs had correct language identifiers for the audio soundtrack and subtitles.  So far I have watched a half dozen subtitled movies and in every case the subtitles played automatically without me even having to choose them.  Thanks everyone who contributed information. 

• Like 1