MBT not loading external subtitles

mschlott
Go to solution Solved by babgvant,

mschlott

I am working on the fine tuning of my MBT install.   One last remaining problem is that the external subtitles for a MKV do not appear to be loading.  I have xy-vsfilter, lav filter and ac3 filter installed.  In Windows Media Player everything seems to work properly.  In graph studio the audio and video paths appear as they should. 

When I open DirectVobSub while playing back in Windows Media Player, in the Main tab at the top, I see the path to my MKV file.  When I open DirectVobSub while playing back in MBT, the same field is blank.  If I manually open the srt file during playback, the subtitles work as they should.

I think the same thing is happening with AC3 filter, but I am not working on that right now.

Does MBT use different filters than are seen  in graph studio?  If so, can I force it to use the standard filters.  How can I configure the built in filters?   I can't find the installation for them.

BTW, it looks like Media Browser Classic does not behave this way.

mschlott

Did I install the wrong thing?   I have been installing xy-vsfilter, not xy-subfilter.   I thought they were the same.

Here is something else that I noticed that may give a hint as to the problem.  New install of MBT, Lav Filter and xy-vsfilter.   Open windows media player, subtitles working, right click on the green arrow DirectVobSub icon in the task bar, and I see "DirectVobSub (forced auto-loading version).   Play same movie in MBT, subtitles not working, righc click on green DirectVobSub I see xy-VSFilter.   I think 2 different versions of DirectVobSub are being used.   I'm guessing it is using the xy-SubFilter.dll that is installed with MBT.  It does not appear that this dll is looking at external Subtitles.

Is this a known issue?

subtitles test fine here. MBT doesn't use the installed versions of those software anymore, and instead embeds them. so make sure to configure within MBT, although we've tested it on a default install with no problem. So you'll probably want to give some specific examples, and more information

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

mschlott

Thanks Luke.   Problem report follows

Server Version - 3.0.5395.0

MBT Version - 3.0.5399.34605

Problem - I opened a move named "2012 (2009) [1080p] [PG-13] [voted 5.6] [sci-Fi].mkv" with a subtitle file in the same folder named "2012 (2009) [1080p] [PG-13] [voted 5.6] [sci-Fi].srt".   The MKV did not have any imbedded subtitles.

No transcoding should be occurring.  If I install lav filter and xy-VSfilter the same movie plays with subtitles correctly.

theater-63548908557.txt

server-63548713261.txt

Did you use the context menu to activate the subtitles? Press *

MBT is one of the last remaining apps that doesn't yet respect user subtitle settings, so it still needs to be activated manually after playing.

mschlott

I was not aware of that context menu.   So I hit *, click on subtitles.  I see, "T No Subtitles" and "T Unknown".  No subtitles is pink, so I click on Unknown.  It still does not show subtitles.

I attached the latest MBT log.

I was not aware of that context menu.   So I hit *, click on subtitles.  I see, "T No Subtitles" and "T Unknown".  No subtitles is pink, so I click on Unknown.  It still does not show subtitles.

I attached the latest MBT log.

@@babgvant there's an xy-VSFilter error

mschlott

Another piece of information.  I just checked it on my server and MBT is working fine with subtitles now that I enable them in the subtitles context menu.  Still not working on client on the network.

I re-installed xy-vsfilter and subtitles work.   Probably gets past the dll registration error since it can find the dll from the installed xy-vsfilter.

I uninstalled xy-vsfilter and MBT, re-installed MBT and the Class not registered comes back.

2014-10-14 20:02:11.0504 Error - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Error adding xy-VSFilter filter
 Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {93A22E7A-5091-45EF-BA61-6DA26156A5D0} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).
 System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException
    at MediaBrowser.Theater.DirectShow.DirectShowPlayer.RenderStreams(IBaseFilter pSource, Boolean enableMadvr, Boolean enableMadvrExclusiveMode, Boolean enableXySubFilter)

I tried MBT on another computer subtitles are there, but too low on the screen to read.  At least xy-subfilter is starting on that computer.

mschlott

I got to do some more testing today.   I installed MBT on another laptop and the same problem occurs.  The thing they both have in common is Intel Graphics.

babgvant

I don't think I wrote this part of the player, but it appears that external subtitle selection was left a little unfinished in MBT. This has been fixed (after loading the subtitle it is now selected as well).

BTW, while looking into this I noticed that the "*" mapping only works for the "*" on the 8 key not the one on the numeric keypad. Is this intentional?

• Solution
babgvant

Another piece of information.  I just checked it on my server and MBT is working fine with subtitles now that I enable them in the subtitles context menu.  Still not working on client on the network.

I re-installed xy-vsfilter and subtitles work.   Probably gets past the dll registration error since it can find the dll from the installed xy-vsfilter.

I uninstalled xy-vsfilter and MBT, re-installed MBT and the Class not registered comes back.

2014-10-14 20:02:11.0504 Error - InternalDirectShowPlayer: Error adding xy-VSFilter filter

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {93A22E7A-5091-45EF-BA61-6DA26156A5D0} failed due to the following error: 80040154 Class not registered (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG)).

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException

at MediaBrowser.Theater.DirectShow.DirectShowPlayer.RenderStreams(IBaseFilter pSource, Boolean enableMadvr, Boolean enableMadvrExclusiveMode, Boolean enableXySubFilter)

I tried MBT on another computer subtitles are there, but too low on the screen to read.  At least xy-subfilter is starting on that computer.

This was a bug (fixed). Curious why you have XySubFilter disabled though...

• Like 2

mschlott

This was a bug (fixed). Curious why you have XySubFilter disabled though...

I don't have XySubFilter disabled.   I have the check box checked.  I have a workaround by using XY-VSFilter externally so I'm happy.

Thanks for your work on this.

babgvant

I don't have XySubFilter disabled.   I have the check box checked.  I have a workaround by using XY-VSFilter externally so I'm happy.

Thanks for your work on this.

Sorry, meant to say EVR Custom Presenter (instead of XySubFilter). MBT should only load VSFilter if the EVR CP is disabled and madVR is not in use.

Broader question for @@Luke. It's unclear to me what the setting that enables XySubFilter is intended to signal. Should it only be for XySubFilter (the new sub renderer that works with madVR & EVR CP) or for XySubFilter & XY-VSFilter (how it was being used in the player). If it is the second thing do you have a problem with changing the UI to signal that more clearly (e.g. "Enable Subtitles")?

SikSlayer

This was a bug (fixed).

Thanks for this and all your hard work. It's reassuring to see your name in the commit history.

You're someone I know who understands what we HTPC users want.

• Like 1