Access MBT with a crossover cable

xmathx

Hi guys , im trying to connect my HTPC with my server locally with a crossover cable to have a better file transfer but MBT can t find the server or if I enter the static IP of the server I receive a message to sign in . I try all the username possible but nothing work if I connect the WIFI everything is working but everything in 1080P lag. I put a specific IP address for the crossover

THX for your help

Good day,

Simple hub will do (5 ports or something), but if that not an option, then try this:

1 - Normal cable (no need for crossover).

2 - Both HTPC and Server at the same "group"

Till you the truth, I did not used this kind of connection from like 25 years ago, so I do not know if that the correct steps or not, no harm of trying tho :)

My best

datahedron

Since most recent-gen NIC's have Auto Detect, a crossover cable isn't necessary. You should be able to use just about any standard Cat5 or Cat6 ethernet cable. The NIC would then reconfigure itself accordingly. This doesn't normally cause significant throughput issues, although YMMV.

The following are simply suggestions - I don't know your configuration, so they're generalized:

When connecting from your computer to your server - where are you getting the IP addresses from? If you normally use a router, and have the router setup to provide addresses via DHCP, a direct PC to PC connection will prevent this.

You'll want to either configure your server to provide IP addresses (for a Windows system, you'd need to install the DHCP role, if it's not already in place). Alternately, you can set up an ad-hoc LAN, by configuring static IP's on both the server and computer.

If you're seeing a login when connecting to your server, you'll need to use whatever your normal credentials are, and have REMOTE DESKTOP (assuming Windows) permissions enabled. Otherwise, it won't let you in if you're already logged in directly.

Another option would be to prioritize your wireless access point (WAP), if you have a switch or router with management capabilities.

Final option - if your WAP is an older model, it may not be capable of handling streaming throughput. Might be time for an upgrade?