How do I connect from another machine?

zakraket
Go to solution Solved by zakraket,

zakraket

Yesterday I did a clean install of win8.1pro MCE on my 3ghz dualcore 2Gb 128GbSSD HTPC. After windows I installed Media Browser Server (latest version). After that I could not connect to the configurationpage of the server with IE, although it's running in the systray.

After some fiddling and finally reinstalling it I managed to get it properly (?) started and connect IE with localhost:8096

Then I installed MBT which also worked.

Today I started my HTPC, but again I can't connect to the server.

- Restarting the server doesn't help

- firewall off doesn't help

- The logpage (via systray) is empty (don't know if it's supposed to)

I'm a bit clueless as to what could be the problem, since win8.1 as well as MBS are installed default out of the box with nothing else. Although it's not that different from win7 this is my first experience with Win8

Any suggestions?

edit: the logpage is not empty, but it takes ages and ages (>10min) to display something. Unfortenalty I can't copy paste from the log window? Where can I get the contents to post here?

There are errors "Error in DlnaEntryPoint"

Edited by zakraket

zakraket

Thanks for pointing the topic, I should have seen it.

The topictitle is not correct: I cannot connect from localhost either with IE (so I can't connect to serverconfiguration with IE).

server-63549217136.txt

I have attached my log. There are errors in it, which I can't interprete, but it seems to me the server is not starting properly, maybe due to missing libraries in my fresh windows?

Edited by zakraket

zakraket

30 min. ago I completely removed MBS from my HTPC, then reinstalled (release version). After that it worked fine, 80+ movies library builds up with lightspeed. I tested a few movies with MBT (installed on the same machine!), and then rebooted my HTPC.

After reboot: same problem. Can't connect to the server either with http://localhost:8096/ or with MBT (installed on same machine as MBS)

Could it have something to do with the service that's installed? It's not running. When I start it (and not start the trayicon) I have the same problem

edit: it gets stranger. I now have MBS started as server. I can connect with MBT (and play movies), but not to the configurationsite (localhost:8096)

Edited by zakraket

zakraket

Yes, its the only account (and admin, I checked to be sure)

To be able to view a movie yesterday I installed MBS on my desktop. No problem at all to connect with Android to my desktop-MBS or with MBT from my HTPC. Also no errors in the log.

The serverlog on my HTPC is full of errors . I see a lot of "value can't be null"?

zakraket

Another try: completely removed MBT and MBS from my HTPC. Then installed MBS again (lastest release version). Seems to work fine the first time (although connecting to localhost:8096 does nothing, going to http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/index.html works), but after closing MBS and restarting it it already breaks.

Anyone that can shed some light on the errors in the log?

I'm using Win 8.1 Pro MCE X64

Edited by zakraket

Scott84Z28

Well, ya.  Going to localhost:8096 will do nothing.  You have to go to localhost:8096/mediabrowser .   And that of course only works from that local machine.  You would need to replace localhost with either the PC name or the IP address to access it from another internal machine. 

Are you saying that after you reboot your HTPC you can't connect anymore?  Is MBS running after the reboot?  Do you see the tray icon?  You can also run "netstat -an" in a command prompt to see if tcp port 8096 is actually open and waiting for connections or not.

zakraket

I know how to connect from another machine. The problem is I can't even connect from the local machine and that the serverlog is full of errors.

I think ebr has changed the topictitle in the second post, because I can't recall making this title. Imho this makes the topic a bit confusing: the problem is specifically not with connecting from other machines (although in fact I can't connect from other machines because MBS doesn't seem to work properly, I can't connect from ANY machine, local or not... )

When I install MBS fresh and keep it running after install it seems to work. When I close MBS (with systraymenu) and restart it, it doens't work anymore (same problem when I reboot the HTPC of course) and log is full of errors.

When I go to "configure server" with the systraymenu my browser opens and wants to go to http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/web/dashboard.html but that doesn't work after a restart of MBS. Before the first restart it works.

So the steps are:

- install MBS on HTPC

- install MBT on HTPC

- MBS starts, configurationpage starts

- MBS works, I can connect MBT to localhost on HTPC, I can connect Android MB (phone) to MBS on HTPC :)

- close MBS via systrayicon

- start MBS via startmenuicon

- MBS doesn't work: :( can't go to config.page, can't connect with ANY device

- log displays errors

Edited by zakraket

CBers

Does the PC you're running MBS on use DHCP or does it have a static IP address?

Can you access MBS by substituting localhost for the actual ip of the PC?

zakraket

Using the IP-adress doens't help

http://192.168.1.29:8096/mediabrowser/web/dashboard.html

I'm not entirely sure what I should see with netstat -na, but port 8096 is not in the list. Does it mean the firewall doesn't let traffic through over this port? Switching firewall off doesn't help either. Port 8096 is explicitly allowed in WIndows Firewall, next to some Mediabrowser-listings

But perhaps the server isn't listening?

(And I still have the log with quite some errors... ?

Just a few:

- "System.ArgumentNullException, Paramtername: Source, Value can't be null",

- External Server has returned an error (400) Invalid Command (translated from dutch)

- Error, App, Error gettings response from https://connect.mediabrowser.tv/service/servers

- Error, App, Error sending notification

- Info, App, Refresh Channels failed after 0 mins

etc

Edited by zakraket

zakraket

So, now I reinstalled windows 8 from another source. Again Win 8.1 Pro x64 MCE.

After completion I installed MBS, C++ runtime is installed automatically. After that I can configure MBS with IE. If I recall correctly port 8096 was in the list of netstat -na

Then, after restarting MBS, just to try, I have exactly the same problem.

Last week I installed MBS on my windows 7 desktop, just to try. Works out of the box without problems, MSB on my desktop is available for all devices that I try to connect with. Note: some of the above errors also display in the log on my desktop but don't seem to be a problem.

Is MBS windows 8 compatible???  :blink:  doesn't look like it to me.

I really want win8 on my HTPC because it works a LOT faster than win7

Edited by zakraket

Yes, a lot of people run their servers on Win 8.1 (including me).  Obviously, there is some security setting or other configuration issue that is interfering in your Win 8 environment.  Start by eliminating all anti-malware and firewall type software and see if things function normally.  If that works, start adding things back in until it doesn't.  Also be sure the server has admin rights.

zakraket

I'm sure it is... but there's not much I can eliminate on a fresh install that I know of :( I didn't put anything on it. Plus I'm fairly new to win8 so I'm not familiar with the differences with win 7 (on which MBS works out of the box for me)

- I can shut down the firewall (but that didn't help before)

- Is there something like Security Essentials on win 8? (I think SE's only for win7 and below)

- what else can I try?

zakraket

Switched off, no difference. Also set UAC to the lowest level.

What do you think of this: I start MBS-setup (setup.exe), it tries to shut down the running systray MBS but can't. I manually shut it down, I reinstall MBS. After installation the configurationpage opens and MBS is working (so nothing on my computer is preventing it) :) When I restart MBS FROM THE CONFIG-page (restart-button under "server information" it still works.

When I close the trayapp and restart MBS: no go. Isn't restarting automatically and restarting manually (closing and starting) the same? It looks like the same things are going on but the result is different

It ONLY works right after install and only untill the first time I stop the application and restart it manually.

Appreciate your effort to help btw

Edited by zakraket

Let's back all the way up to the very first thing you said.  Why can't the installer shut down the running MB Server?  That may be a symptom of the real issue here which may be one of permissions.

• Solution
zakraket

It's fixed. I had to set MBS to run as Administrator in the properties (under the compatibility-tab). Strange that running as administrator using the rightmousemenu didn't do the trick (and that I only have one administratoraccount on my PC) Shouldn't it Always run as administrator when I start it?

Thanks for helping

Edited by zakraket
  • Like 1