MB server "grabbing" my movies before all metadata is there!

chjohans

chjohans

I'm using "Media Center Master" to grab metadata and organize all my files, downloads etc so my MB servers are set not to download metadata. This works pretty good, except in a few cases where the MB server ghets the metadata wrong. It will typically ignore the cover for a movie (folder.jpg as downloaded by Media Center Master and placed in the movie folder) and decide to use one of the backdrops instead.

I assume this happens if the MB server grabs my movie before "Media Center Master" ahs finished downloading all metadata, that's partially a guess but it looks like that and it kind of makes sense.

When this happens I have to go into "Metadata Manager" on the server, find the movie that has the problem go to "Images", click on "Browse images" then chose a poster and click on "Download". This seems to fix the issue, and at least the server will show the correct images and correct "poster image" after this. Simply clicking on "refresh" or "Advanced Refresh" in metadata manager does not solve this issue.

I'm not sure if the server is actually downloading the cover when I press download, or just using the coover (folder.jpg) which is already in the movie folder (placed there by MCM). The user running the server *does not* have write access to my movie archive, for "historical reasons" and I prefer it that way as I don't need MB to handle my metadata anyhow.

Could someone please look into this issue? I need the server to actually re-read all the metadata once it's all there, I don't think it's currently doing that.

Thanks!

it does not ignore folder.jpg. it probably happens as you say because we have picked it up before mcm has finished. If MBS doesn't have write access then you should not use the metadata manager - unless your metadata is configured to not reside in media folders which isn't the case for you.

I don't think there's any issue to look into as this all sounds like expected behavior. You probably want to just to turn off the realtime watcher in MBS, or turn off the screen grabbing.

candybar213

I had some problems with MBS grabbing to quickly. Luke I believe it was you that told me how to extend the delay time after a file has changed. Sos mcm can finish before MBS takes a look

chjohans

Well, what I need os for the MB server to refresh/re-read all my metadata once it's all there. I'll play around with the realtime watcher flag a bit, but does not that mean thet I have to rescan my media database for any new media to be picked up by the server?

Not idead either, but guess it's better than getting the wrong metadata.

Well, what I need os for the MB server to refresh/re-read all my metadata once it's all there. I'll play around with the realtime watcher flag a bit, but does not that mean thet I have to rescan my media database for any new media to be picked up by the server?

I've seen this many times as well (I use mymovies for where I store my data as I am interested in my disc-based movie collection, not generic movie info) and ended up turning off the watcher.   As you note, the issue isn't as much that it grabs something as much as it doesn't ever update.  So once you have the new things like folder.jpg there you never see that change in Media Browser UI.

Vidman

You can set MBS to rescan automatically to a schedule if you wish.... Go to advanced / scheduled tasks