Genre Icons

Logos302

Logos302

Make the Genre icons like plug-ins.  IE : have them listed in the plug-in catalog and then select it for install.  I think this would make them more accessible and more used.    I wasn't really sure if this could/should be a server plug-in, client plugin or both.  

• Like 1

it would be a server plugin. it's a great idea, but hosting the packs ourselves will increase our traffic costs. so we'll have to think about it.

Xzener

What if you came up with a $$$ number, and whomever chooses to use the plugin to upload packs to users, could help pay a percentage of the server traffic costs... I would be more than willing to contribute.

There isn't a $ number that will help it is more an issue of performance.

Honestly, I think we need to wait a while before looking at this. The newer clients are going to use these less and less.

fantaxp7

Another thought, what about some sort of executable that would place the image packs in the correct locations? 

Files wouldn't necessarily have to be hosted by MB but maybe some sort of link to wherever the author would chose to host?

Just an idea. I like the lazy approach with custom art work.  :)

shaefurr

Another thought, what about some sort of executable that would place the image packs in the correct locations? 

Files wouldn't necessarily have to be hosted by MB but maybe some sort of link to wherever the author would chose to host?

Just an idea. I like the lazy approach with custom art work.  :)

I like this idea and it seems reasonably easy for users, choose the ibn folder if its not at the default location, then install.

UPDATE: I'm not the best with this, but can usually work my way around in batch files, so im currently writing a .bat that will install the genre icons, and allow the user to change the ibn folder. I'll see how it goes lol. I may fail completely but it sounds fun.

r196.jpg

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 1

shaefurr

Great job Sheafurr!

Thanks, I have it working to it opens with the default install as currentuser\appdata\roaming\mediabrowser-server\imagesbyname, then allows you to change the directory if needed, then it extracts the .rar to the ibn genre folder, so its like 90% done, I just need to get a few bugs out.

Once its done it should be fairly simple, we would just need to gather up all the genre icon packs and make sure they're zipped in the same format for the installer to work and extract them properly, which id be glad to do. Unless someone wants to edit the .bat when im done, thats a bit too much for me having different folder layouts.

EDIT: I think im about done with this, works great on my system, anyone else feel like testing this for me?

Edited by shaefurr

shaefurr

Ok if anyone wants to try this, backup your imagesbyname/genre folder just in case.

1. Download http://www.mediafire.com/?mipxrymg1rtzus8

2. Unzip the Genre extractor to somewhere on your PC

3. Run the Extractor.bat

If you want, Replace the .zip in the genre icons folder with one you want to use, I provided a sample pack for testing. It needs to have the Action/Adventure etc folders directly inside the zip.

ill be making a few changes tomorrow, mainly  that its extracting into the proper  IBN directory, I don't think we want people accidentally installing genre icons all over their PCs. I'd like to make this a smooth and easy install.

lw2w.jpg

Edited by shaefurr

shaefurr

Well after going nuts for 2 hours I figured this out, DOWNLOADS WORK!

It will list the available genre packs, and once picked it will automatically clear out the current genre pack and download the new one, then jump back to the menu to allow you to install it as usual.

I just need to repack some of these zip files, unify the folder structure and make a few tweaks, but this is basically 100% working for installing and downloading new packs.

sn7k.jpg

kux.JPG

Edited by shaefurr

shaefurr

Yeah, wish I could do this in a GUI so it looked better and had preview images, still works great though