Local Trailers Not downloading

diaz1510

diaz1510

Also having a problem getting local trailers downloaded. I've got the local trailers as well as the trailers plugin installed.  I run the task a few times but am not getting any trailers downloaded.  They should be put into the folder where the movie is located right?  I've gone through the applicable configuration screens but I am not seeming to get any trailers.

Unfortunately there's an issue with the trailer downloading plugin - it currently relies on data from the trailer channel plugin, so you need both.

Yes, I realize this is bad for usability because you have no way of knowing that. It will be addressed soon.

Then maybe there are none available for your movies. The catalog it searches is pretty small, only about 1200 trailers, so it's not going to find something for every movie.

diaz1510

hmmm....what catalog does it seacrh, so I can try and see what movies they have.  I've got quite a large collection with some of the movies being very popular ones thta I imagine they should have....

diaz1510

wow...ok...just went back and did a file search on my collection and you werent kidding about the small selection...I've got roughly 1500 movies and it did actually find a few trailers but only 27!  There's got to be a different source for these trailers...

That was directed at the OP, not you

I understand but he was asking for a source for this plug-in and that is not one we can use.

• 2 weeks later...
techywarrior

YouTube ToS says you have to play their content in their player so we aren't allowed to download the files and then play them in WMC or something like that.

Is it illegal to stream trailers from Youtube?

As techy said, not if you use their player.  That can be done on most web and mobile clients but not something like MBC/MBT (other than potentially launching some other program).

Wow, that sucks. But makes sense when you think about it, I guess.

Maybe silly, but couldn't one build a player "frame" or "container" or whatever for MBC and MBT that looked and behaved similarly to the usual player, only in fact .. contained the youtube player?

techywarrior

Wow, that sucks. But makes sense when you think about it, I guess.

Maybe silly, but couldn't one build a player "frame" or "container" or whatever for MBC and MBT that looked and behaved similarly to the usual player, only in fact .. contained the youtube player?

ebr can correct me if I am wrong but I believe in the past that he said WMC/MBC can't do that. He would have to launch a web browser. MBT may have an easier time doing something like that since that program is written from scratch but I think it would be a huge undertaking to do it correctly for probably not a huge return.

Theoretically MBT could use the webkit engine to create a self contained browser window that it could pass the YouTube URL to. But then there are issues with having to know what is going on in the webview so MBT can take control back when playback is finished. There would probably be some sort of noticeable switching taking place and a whole lot of other issues I can think of off the top of my head that would all need to be programmed around.

Yes, I see what you mean. On the other hand, maybe it could open up for other returns? I for one would love to have my subscribed channels on youtube integrated into MBT, for example. IF browsing and playing them was smooth and simple. I haven't tried it myself, but I believe for instance JRiver Mediacenter (maybe other media centers as well) somehow integrates youtube into its interface?

Edited by njoak

BATTLE DONKEY

I'd rather see updates to the existing plugin in the future to download from additional sources so movies can be matched using IMDb or moviedb id's for proper matches.

The reason for this is because as it happens already using YouTube and matching by name alone may give you the wrong trailers for movies that have the same name. Ex. Ramakes

Until then, waiting patiently :)

The other apps that do it are likely violating youtube TOS. We've chosen not to do that.

For the record, the app I mentioned uses the youtube player so no violation, but they seem to just integrate a web browser and show the youtube web page - so not an example of what I was hoping for anyway.