Is MB3 a stand alone application?

flecom

Simple question, are the MB3 server/clients stand alone applications or is it at the mercy of some server somewhere being up? (besides my MB3 server obviously)

Reason I ask is the recent downtime on another media management system has reminded me of my desire to seek alternatives that are not SaaS and MB3 looks like it might fit the bill...

Edited by flecom

Chris Jones

MB3 server doesn't rely on any other service being up and doesn't require a working internet connection. Of course any clients rely on MB3 server being accessible/running. I believe the only thing it does rely on is the media browser website for automatic updates which obviously aren't critical.

It kind of depends on how "stand alone" you really mean.

We depend on a lot of resources from the internet for metadata and code updates.  Our installer is live and downloads from the internet as does our automatic update routines.  Also, our supporter registration and plug-in registration checks depend on being able to be validated "periodically" (such period is undefined completely at this moment but probably every few days).

However, once a system is up and running it is completely functional on its own as long as the different pieces can see and talk to each other. IOW - if you had the server and an app on a laptop it would work on a plane with no internet connection.

One wrinkle that will be introduced here though is the new MB Connect functionality we are working on now.  If you take advantage of that, it will depend on our servers on the net for login and finding the servers you are connecting to.  But, that is designed for easy sharing of remote content so wouldn't come into play if you weren't using that.

It kind of depends on how "stand alone" you really mean.

We depend on a lot of resources from the internet for metadata and code updates.  Our installer is live and downloads from the internet as does our automatic update routines.  Also, our supporter registration and plug-in registration checks depend on being able to be validated "periodically" (such period is undefined completely at this moment but probably every few days).

However, once a system is up and running it is completely functional on its own as long as the different pieces can see and talk to each other. IOW - if you had the server and an app on a laptop it would work on a plane with no internet connection.

One wrinkle that will be introduced here though is the new MB Connect functionality we are working on now.  If you take advantage of that, it will depend on our servers on the net for login and finding the servers you are connecting to.  But, that is designed for easy sharing of remote content so wouldn't come into play if you weren't using that.

is there a function in MB3 that would allow a local list of users (that authenticate against my MB3 servers) vs MB Connect?

my media server is sitting in a data center so it has a static ip and can easily be assigned a domain name for other users to get to it easily...

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere I did try and search the FAQ's and did some preliminary googling

Edited by flecom

is there a function in MB3 that would allow a local list of users (that authenticate against my MB3 servers) vs MB Connect?

Yes, that is the default mode of operation right now.

excellent, spinning up a VM now to play with it, if it does what it says on the box will definitely be sending money your guys way :)

Yes, that is the default mode of operation right now.

Hope that it will remain this way for those of us who don't wish to share out or connect with other media servers in the internet.

Hope that it will remain this way for those of us who don't wish to share out or connect with other media servers in the internet.

It should always be an option.  We may make the default go the other way at some point because it makes it so much easier for the lay person to connect to servers but we'll see.

OK, thanks. I would have preferred you to have written "will" instead of "should", but I'll bear it in mind.

I can't imagine that ever changing but I just don't like to make completely definitive statements because you just never know :).