Would you attend a Media Browser convention?

techywarrior

MB Con interest  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend an MB Con in the US?

• Yes, take my money now
    • Yes, but only if it was free to attend
    • No, but I would if it was in Europe
    • No
  2. 2. Where would you travel to in order to attend?

• New York City, NY
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Las Vegas, NV
    • Europe
  3. 3. What is the most you will pay to attend? (this doesn't include hotel/airfare)

• $0
    • $10
    • $20
    • $50
    • $100

techywarrior

I'm looking to gauge interest in a Media Browser convention from the community. If there is enough interest then an effort can be made to find out how much it will cost, if sponsors can be found to offset some or all of it, and a location. This would almost definitely be in the US. 

What would a MB convention entail?

This would be heavily dependent on who can come and how many people attend but here are a few of the things we could do.

• panel on the future of MB (a peak at what's to come)
  • how to create your own MB app (using the API guide)
  • how to customize your MB artwork
  • meet and greet with developers (put a face to those wacky forum handles)
  • movie(s) (playing from a MB3 server of course) - I can get legit rights to play some movies publicly and may even be able to get a screener of a new indie film depending on when this would take place.
  • have lots of FUN !!

This is no way a definite thing and any response to the poll should not be considered a commitment.

Edited by techywarrior

Cheesegeezer

I'm definitely up for this, dont care where it is, i can save up and put in for vacation, i think Mrs Cheese would come too. I dont imagine that it would take less than a year to organise potentially being the first one, it would be like a wedding without the flowers and crap dancing lol.

Love the idea ;)

techywarrior

I would if you held it in Perth, Australia. One of the most remote cities in the world ;)

Maybe we'll have a live stream for you :P

I'm sure that is going to be the case for a bunch of people. If this goes well, or goes at all, we can see about having a European location. But I'm not sure I'd hold my breath for Perth. lol

• Like 1

fantaxp7

Yea it's a good idea. It would be cool to have a function room or something with a few home theater setups and maybe a few displays showing off mediabrowser then a general room for a presentation maybe...lots of potential

MrWebsmith

I'd def be in.. USA more likely for me due to flight costs, but even Europe/UK if thats the "group decision" could be possible.. as Cheesey said above itd be something i could plan for and take time off... depending on timing/costs etc..

i love all of the suggested "activities" im sure there are other if i think for a bit.

+1000 here from old MWS

• Like 1

Redshirt

I'd be in too. West coast is the most likely candidate. California or Las Vegas.... There's a roulette wheel at New York - New York that was good to me last time I was there.

• Like 2

Cheesegeezer

I think this should be pinned as it could get lost easily if there is no traction, and maybe the promo team should be pushing this too, take it to Fanart.tv, xbmc and others that we are affiliated with to gain support... up the number and actually impress the world with all of our collaborated achievements.

If a venue falls thru, Mrs. Cheese said we can host it in the barn next to the stables or my "Man Cave".  But she would much prefer to go back to Vegas ;)

techywarrior

I think this should be pinned as it could get lost easily if there is no traction, and maybe the promo team should be pushing this too, take it to Fanart.tv, xbmc and others that we are affiliated with to gain support... up the number and actually impress the world with all of our collaborated achievements.

If a venue falls thru, Mrs. Cheese said we can host it in the barn next to the stables or my "Man Cave".  But she would much prefer to go back to Vegas ;)

I think it's a great idea for the promo team to link to the poll. It's hard to make a decision if only a few people respond. Does that mean that no one is interested or just that no one knew to vote here? At least if people voted and said "no" then we know there is no interest.

And yea, I pinned the thread a little after I posted it realizing that a vote on the poll didn't keep the thread at the top without comments.

Cheesegeezer

Well gentlemen... I shall stow my tits lol

i just get notifications that there is a reply.

anyways i think that although we are very excited about it, it may yake more to get the community involved!! I have visions of turning up and ebr being there with all his fishing tackle saying "so.... What time does the boat leave... Gonna get me a marlin today!!"

could push this to an announcement but really we should get an event schedule in place(loosely) so peeps can see what their dosh will be spent on and if its worth it, for them.

• Like 1

techywarrior

anyways i think that although we are very excited about it, it may yake more to get the community involved!! I have visions of turning up and ebr being there with all his fishing tackle saying "so.... What time does the boat leave... Gonna get me a marlin today!!"

could push this to an announcement but really we should get an event schedule in place(loosely) so peeps can see what their dosh will be spent on and if its worth it, for them.

Well, that's the crux of the problem. I can't even begin to figure out costs and sponsors until we have a general idea if it is going to happen. It's pretty evident that most of the very active forum members are excited about this idea, as can be seen by the poll results at the moment. But I need to see more of a response from the rest of the community to know if this can/will happen.

Do I price out a room for 100 people or 50? One room or two? I need to tell potential sponsors how many people will be there and what return they can expect on their sponsorship. It would be pretty hard to get money for 5 of us to be in a conference room watching movies. But if it's 100 people there is more of an advertising opportunity.

I'd love to send out an announcement to all MB users but I think we should have more concrete info first. Honestly, I though with 300 people being active on the forum that there would be more response to the poll one way or the other.

Just give it some time for people to see it and think about it.  The forum is actually pretty dead mid-week usually and you just put this up last night :).

techywarrior

Just give it some time for people to see it and think about it.  The forum is actually pretty dead mid-week usually and you just put this up last night :).

hehe, didn't mean to be impatient. I thought that the weekdays would actually be busier on the forum. Doesn't everyone else check the forum all day during work like me?

CBers

hehe, didn't mean to be impatient. I thought that the weekdays would actually be busier on the forum. Doesn't everyone else check the forum all day during work like me?

Yep :)

trooper11

I think this is a great idea and I like the early ideas for what such an event would include. I would love to see a US east coast event (say maybe Nashville), but most of the time people seem to prefer west coast venues. I'd be willing to travel, but the cost of flying might hold me back depending on the timing.

I think this could be a great chance to not just show off the software, but the many hardware devices that can make use of it. I could imagine a demo room with a few different form factors of pc (such as an Intel NUC, slim htpc, maybe a raspberry pi setup, and then a small server tower), tablets (iPad, nexus, surface), smartphones, a roku, and an Xbox One (even if a native app isn't done by then, there is still something to show off). Plus, a chance to show off chef's great work with a Kinect demo on pc. There are so many things worthy of showing off.

I would also think that at least some of the companies that make the hardware would be interested in the event.

If this event does happen and you guys need any help, I'd gladly volunteer if I can make it.

• Like 2

pir8radio

Good idea, but maybe better off getting a booth/room at an existing event or something, DEF CON?   I would guess you wouldn’t have to worry about all of the little things that go along with a big conference, food suppliers, entertainment outside of MB3 fun, cost for all of that crap if no one shows up like they said they would....   Don't know if i would spend 1200 bucks on a one day MB only gathering.    If you decide to do something, maybe free "supporter" codes or something should be given out to lessen the blow from whatever you charge?   Though i would imagine everyone who would come would already have supported MB.    

techywarrior

This would really be more of the smaller 1-2 day MB only gather (at least initially) but I think it serves a very different purpose then going to an existing convention.

Without having some sort of idea on the amount of interest it is hard to estimate a cost but being a small event it shouldn't be too much. And things like food and entertainment would be whatever city we are in (looking like Vegas is the most likely).

fantaxp7

This would really be more of the smaller 1-2 day MB only gather (at least initially) but I think it serves a very different purpose then going to an existing convention.

Without having some sort of idea on the amount of interest it is hard to estimate a cost but being a small event it shouldn't be too much. And things like food and entertainment would be whatever city we are in (looking like Vegas is the most likely).

If you guys don't use me for bread I will flip the F*** OUT!

And maybe we can make Chef cater a thing or two :P

Edited by fantaxp7
  • Like 2

techywarrior

If you guys don't use me for bread I will flip the F*** OUT!

Ok guys, so there will be water and bread supplied at the convention :P

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
techywarrior

Well, If we have something, we will officially have some movies courtesy of Kino Lorber.

Metropolis, Nosferatu, The Blue Angel, could be some others too (depending on how much time we dedicate to movies)

Gaitkeeper

Yes, but only if it was local (Raleigh, NC). And yes, I would pay ($20~$30). Been a user since 2009, but new to the community.