Streaming/transcoding performance with a Bay Trail-T Atom Z processor?

scanner50

scanner50

So I've really been considering the Zotac ZBox PI320 as part of a Media Browser infrastructure. Seems to be a steal at $200 with full Windows 8.1 on it. I was reading Liliputing's review of it here and they came away pretty impressed:

http://liliputing.com/2014/10/zotac-zbox-pico-pocket-sized-desktop-pc-review.html

But one paragraph under Verdict caught my eye:

"Want to turn the system into a home media server? Just hook up a USB storage device, set it up as a shared network drive and leave your ZBOX on whether it’s connected to a display or not. With a processor that uses an average of 2.2 watts, you won’t waste a lot of power by leaving the computer on 24/7."

I'm a huge fan of low power output, so this got me thinking: What if I used it with MBS? It has a 1.33 GHz Intel Atom Z3735F quad-core processor, which from what I can tell supports Quick Sync. Anyone know if it would it be viable for streaming/transcoding via MBS?

Will depend heavily on the quality of the transcoded stream. You will likely struggle with transcoding with that processor so if you need multiple HD streams then you would be better building a more powerful system. If its just for running clients that can make use of direct play then it would be fine. For reference, I use a HP N54L microserver with a 2.2Ghz processor and works perfectly on direct play and can handle some transcoding although it struggles with HD and/or 1080p streams. However, I rarely need transcoding so not an issue for me.

• Like 1

scanner50

Thanks for the advice. So I wonder what the lowest-wattage processor would be that could handle 1080p transcoding?

And from my research it looks like MBS currently does not support Intel's Quick Sync?

Edited by rainking430

• 3 weeks later...
blackmamba

I have a Pico.

FYI the Pico doesn't support WOL / WOW which I think you should really have in a HTPC and the USB ports are 2.0 not 3.0.

Also its running 8.1 not 8.1 Pro so it doesn't support MC nor can you use a remote connection into the box (though TeamViewer will work fine)

Personally I think its probably just a little too under powered for MB (though I am not an MB user yet, just currently evaluating the options :) )

I would think that a Gigabyte Brix would be a better option. 

I ran XBMC on it and wasn't too impressed so removed it, though it was fine running my current media server setup, ( iTunes server streaming to an ATV3 box ).

I bought it as a very portable server for when I am away from home and I think it works fine for what I need it for.

I had been thinking of using it to run MB (no transcoding or TV or PVR, just plain video), and streaming direct to XBMC on a RikoMagic MK902II which I just ordered but I am a bit concerned about how much resources MB will use and MB may end up just being for my 'home' entertainment setup

mjb2000

I'm using an Intel J1900 chip - Very low power, quad-core and it has QuickSync.

At the moment there is no FFMPEG binary which we could drop in as a replacement for the one that comes with MBS, but I'm working on it. I discuss this more in this thread an I'll keep the GPU Transcoding thread up-to-date when I make some progress.

For now, the J1900 chip just about copes with 10mbps HD 720p transcoding, but anything else is a stretch. In some early testing, enabling QuickSync transcoding seems to more than double the fps, so I'm expecting things will improve once this ffmpeg issue is solved. Remember, this only covers transcoding, if you're not going to be using transcoding (local playback or direct streaming) then the J1900 has more than enough power.