Aeon Nox Help/Request

hocahoon

hocahoon

First off, thank you xnappo for sharing your work!

Here's the issue I'm having and I hope that someone can offer me some guidance.  I have my TV shows split into the following folders:

Me - Stuff she thinks is dumb

Wife - Stuff I think is dumb

Kids - Stuff for the little ones obviously

Me and Wife - Stuff we like to watch together, ie don't watch the next episode of Game of Thrones w/o me!

What I'd like to do is have a shortcut to each folder, which I've done.  But here comes the curve ball, I'd like to have a widget above each menu item for NextUp items specific to that folder.  And I haven't been able to figure out how to do this.  I can add the NextUp widget, but it shows NextUp items for all folders.

I have noticed that Aeon Nox 5 can access NextUp for each folder.  It populates the menu with each of my folders above and then has a shortcut in the submenu for Next Episodes.  But to me there's really no comparison between Aeon Nox 4.1.9 and Aeon Nox 5.  4 is miles ahead in terms of customization.

Though one thing I like about 5 is the ability to create a widget based off a custom path.  Is there any way to add this to 4.1.9?  

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.  Thanks again for a great addon and a great skin.

EDIT: It looks like this is accomplished by using the Skin Function xbmb3c.X.nextepisodes.path, so how can I use that function as a widget with Aeon Nox 4.1.9?  Or would I have to edit some xml files manually?

Edited by hocahoon
  • Like 1

xnappo

That is a cool feature - I missed that we have that - haha!  The way the widgets work in Nox 4 is really not very nice.  It would take some re-work I think - but I want to do that anyway because I want more than 8 items.

Any other devs - can you look at how the Nox4 widgets work and suggest a way to make them more dynamic like the newer skins?  

xnappo

cgrey000

This is something I've already started looking at. Haven't figured it out yet, and don't know how long it will take me to crack this nut, but it's been pretty much at the top of the list of things I've been hoping to improve in this skin after some of the "comsetic" issues.

I have a similar scenario, with multiple video nodes that have their own spot in my "main" menu, so there's motivation, at least :).

• Like 1

xnappo

@ - I seem to remember a post a while back about dynamic lists or something?  Can't find it though..

xnappo

Nevermind - it was in the dev thread.  @@cgrey000 see: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9546-dymanic-list-data/?hl=dynamic

I think you will agree the current way widget are implemented in Nox4 is insanely bad.

Edited by xnappo

cgrey000

@ - I seem to remember a post a while back about dynamic lists or something?  Can't find it though..

xnappo

Nevermind - it was in the dev thread.  @@cgrey000 see: http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/9546-dymanic-list-data/?hl=dynamic

I think you will agree the current way widget are implemented in Nox4 is insanely bad.

Ya. For me, the only good news is this is the first skin I've really gotten this far under the hood with, so I have no basis for comparison ;)

That said, the widget code has been a challenge to work through...

hocahoon

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

It's good to hear that I'm not the only one that would find this useful.  I will say that I've managed to create what I want with Plexbmc, though I like XBMB3C much better.  And I'd much rather use XBMB3C and Aeon Nox 4.1.9.  The only thing I need from 4.1.9 is the ability to point a widget at a custom path.  More on that below!

My server runs both Plex and MediaBrowser primarily because I can't stop tinkering.  But Plex shows On Deck (Next Up) for each library.  Plexbmc lets me access On Deck through XBMC in a couple of ways.  I can use a skin that fully supports Plexbmc, my main menu populates with the Plex libraries and shows widgets for recently added and On Deck.

Or I can take Aeon Nox 5 or Eminence and point the widgets at a custom path, ie the On Deck section for each Plex library.  That custom path looks something like this ActivateWindow(10025,"plugin://plugin.video.plexbmc/?url=192.168.1.100/library/sections/3/onDeck&mode=0",return)

Plex also does a better job with the Next Up concept to me, it seems like it sorts it in order of what show was watched last.  Next Up in MediaBrowser seems hit and miss, it adds shows I've never watched, has shows at the top of the list that I haven't watched in a month, etc.

I really like the Eminence skin, but it's missing the spinning disc art!  I don't know why but I absolutely love spinning disc art.  Just looks so freakin awesome, it's a must have for me.  Another reason I keep coming back to Aeon Nox 4.1.9.  

I love all the customization that Aeon Nox 4.1.9 offers, and the widgets in particular!  That's what keeps drawing me back.  With Aeon Nox 5, yeah there's a widget.  But it's plain and blah and I can't customize a damn thing about it.  In 4.1.9 I can add weather widgets, pick what view my video widgets use, system info, etc. etc.  It really is great.

xnappo

@@im85288 - since you know the Nox4 widget structure - can you give us some pointers on changing it to dynamic lists?

Thanks!
xnappo

im85288

The only advice I would give here is to avoid dynamic lists..especially if there are going to be many items returned. I had them all over the place in Equilibrium but the performance in some cases was really bad.

You can achieve what your after using the standard widgets.

• Like 1

xnappo

You mean just create 50 copies instead of 8?  There has to be a better way than that!

xnappo

hocahoon

@@im85288

So if I can achieve what I'm after with the standard widgets, would you mind sharing what the best way to do that would be?

I'd be very grateful!

Edited by hocahoon