Metadata options

Rainey

OK, i just switched to MB3 and am try to figuire out my options to try and keep my current metadata for two groups of movies that are rare and mismatch offten when set to auto update.

OK so if i turn off Download Metadata from the internet option I can import my current information from the current .xml file. Tested this seems to work.

Once all movies are scanned/imported, if i then turn on the Download Metadata from the internet option, will it only down missing metadata or will it overwrite the current metadata. I think it overwrites , can this be tweaked to only get missing data?

If the Download Metadata from the internet option is set to off, can you go to just one movie and do a refreash and have it over ride the off setting and fetch metadata from the internet for just that one movie.

The reason i am asking some of these question is because, if i turnned off Download Metadata from the internet option, then add a few movies, it would read the xml file and show the cover art. But all the actors pictures were missing so i did a refresh and still nothing, then i turnned on Download Metadata from the internet option and rescanned, still no actor pictures, then i clicked on one actor and refreshed and it got the picture. Later i see it did get the other pictures over time but i think it over worte the curent metadata. So i am having some trouble understanding the details of how it all works for each option and maybe there are other tweaks outside the GUI.

One other question. Is it possible to copy over metadata or just the actor pictures from my MB2 install if so i could just leave the Download Metadata from the internet option off.

Edited by Rainey

Once you have a local xml file it should never be overwritten unless you manually refresh that item with the metadata manager.

So, you should be able to leave the fetch from the internet option turned on and it will only get new things or things you don't already have metadata for.

Actors are done in a separate process because there are so many of them and they can be quite time consuming.

You can also tweak exactly where the data comes from and lots of other options in the metadata configuration pages.

And, if you have specific items that you know will never have proper internet metadata but you have it locally, you can lock them with the metadata manager to be sure even a refresh won't change them.

That good news, thank for the help.

I just added a few more movies and i found that if i called up just one of the movies and did the Edit>Refresh choice i got the the option i wanted.

I could update even if the download option was off, i could update mising data only.

This is nice, lots of options