ServerWMC and DVBlink

politby

politby

Is there anyone who is using Server WMC on a system running DVBlink?

I am using DVBlink with the acamd plugin and an oscam server to get encrypted channels into Media Center.

Family is starting to ask for live TV on their phones and tablets so I thought maybe I should try testing Server WMC.

I've not been able to figure out how Server WMC interfaces with the tuners with regard to DVBlink. DVBlink presents a number of virtual tuners to Media Center which essentially sees them as unencrypted; when I select a channel in WMC the DVBlink software delivers a decrypted stream. WMC thinks it is talking to a FTA physical tuner.

Am I correct in assuming that if Media Browser puts in a request for a live channel through Server WMC it will work the same way, i.e. just as if I was watching directly in WMC?

Spaceboy

hi politby. yes i run this exact same setup. it works but i wouldnt recommend it. it does work just as if you are watching WMC but its nowhere near as polished and stable yet. the good news is you can run both without disrupting WMC, although i have previously had errors from SWMC which have messed up WMC.

Live TV is always transcoded for some reason, no way to disable it even when running on the same machine as SWMC. Recently an update knocked out all audio in MBT for a number of video types, including live tv. When it works it often doesn't make it past the first frame on iOS devices and streams to other clients will often just stop with no warning or indication why.

This is not a complaint by they way, this is just an honest appraisal of where the system is at. i understand that its still in beta and needs a lot of work. 

politby

I installed it and I have done some testing. It works pretty well in the web client on Windows but it does not get past the first frame in the Android app or MBT. Have not tested the 8.1 app yet. We don't do Apple.

Channel logos, which are inserted into WMC by MCL, are also blown up to a very grainy almost unrecognizable format.

Spaceboy

Actually the server side works pretty well but politby was asking about a replacement for wmc. That implies MBT and I honestly could not in good faith suggest that MBT holds a candle anywhere near wmc at present.