New here and need some instruction.

NewGuy

OK, as the title says, I'm new and I don't have a clue how this works. So talk to me like I'm stupid, because I am, and I can prove it.

So give me the basics. What I want to do is watch movies I have on an external hard drive, over/through my new ROKU.

So, how do I do that? I have downloaded and installed the app onto my ROKU and it sees the Media Browser.

Cheesegeezer

Yes, it is installed. What do you mean by "set up"?

I can't seem to figure out how to even put movies into files.

Here are some Knowledge Base Articles that should help you get started.

The Server is where all your work needs to be for adding your collections.  Clients such as Roku, simply display the information on the Server.

Media Files and Folders Structure

MB3 Server Setup and Configuration

MB3 Server - Using the Web Client

If you have any further questions or need help, then just post up here and we'll be happy to get you set up and enjoying your media

Thanks, I have seen those tutorials before and either don't understand them, or they don't work for some reason.

I really need the most basic instruction, I guess.

I get the feeling this software is not for the casual user.

Cheesegeezer

Thanks, I have seen those tutorials before and either don't understand them, or they don't work for some reason.

I really need the most basic instruction, I guess.

I get the feeling this software is not for the casual user.

It should be straight forward to setup, and its totally designed for the casual user.

I'll need some more info from you first.

What server version are you running. If you go to windows start menu, then programs list you'll find Mediabrowser3 folder, in that there is a MBDashboard Shortcut, click on that and it will launch the Dashboard and will tell you Server Version.

Also How have you added folders to your library.

Let me explain the tier system.

Collection folders in MB speak refer to top level folders where all your media resides. For instance, you may have a Movies collection Folder where you store all of your movies files in their own folders. Then you may have a TV Shows collection folder, where you store all your tv shows under. What you need to be doing is telling MB server where to locate these top level folders on your hard drive and then what type of media is in there, whether its movies or tv shows.

MB will do the rest for you, in terms of collecting metadata and images for each item in the collections.

If you can provide some screenshots where you are having issues, it will certainly help me with helping you.

Specifically on the library tab on the MB dashboard.

That Dashboard shortcut doesn't work.

I think I'll uninstall, then re-install and get back to you.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and the movies I'm trying to view are on a remote hard drive., not on my computer. I think maybe that's the problem.

• Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Thanks for your help.

Oh, and the movies I'm trying to view are on a remote hard drive., not on my computer. I think maybe that's the problem.

Let me know how you get on after the re install.

movies on a remote server or HDD aren't an issue with MB either. ;)

christoph86

Thanks for your help.

By remote hard drive, do you mean you are connecting hard drive to Roku via USB?

No, I have a passport hard drive (plugged into the computer) that I'm trying to get the MB software to work with. Unfortunately the software doesn't see most of the video files and what it does see I can't seem to log into Browser files.

At this point, I've pretty much given up, but thanks for your help.

christoph86

Ah, don't give up :) The first step is to get to your dashboard. When the server is running, you should be able to go to the lower right of your screen by the clock and click on the arrow to show the hidden icons of software that is running. The mediabrowser server will be there. Right click and select configure media browser or something like that. Once at the dashboard you can select library to setup your movies. We can help you further once you can get to dashboard. You do need to set your folders up correctly as explained above by cheesegeezer.

Cheesegeezer

No, I have a passport hard drive (plugged into the computer) that I'm trying to get the MB software to work with. Unfortunately the software doesn't see most of the video files and what it does see I can't seem to log into Browser files.

At this point, I've pretty much given up, but thanks for your help.

Please provide screenshots of what you are trying to do.

you can attach them directly to your post by selecting more reply options next to the post button.

i often hook up an intenso hdd to my dev laptop and can easily access drives, i'm sure its something so simple, but you're not giving us any information to work with which makes finding a redolution very difficult.

I don't think I can get a screen shot. Never seen it with Mozilla.

The MB that came up from the hidden icons folder won't launch dashboard...doesn't even show it anywhere. It will show one of the folders I created, but when I tried to find that on the TV, it says nothing has been loaded.

There is also a message that said something to the effect that I have two versions running at the same time.

I'm gonna let you guys off the hook and just get this software off my computer. It's just not worth the effort to me.

Thanks again for trying.