Xbox One

swhitmore

swhitmore

So it looks like Dell might have leaked some more info on the Xbox One. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/sna.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~topic=xbox-one

Consider the game officially changed. With all your favorite Windows 8 apps able to be run on and synced to your Xbox One, now your phone, desktop, tablet and TV can all give you a unified web and entertainment experience.

If this is true, a MB3 app running on the Xbox One would be huge. It would be great if we could get some devs interested in the Windows 8 app again. I would be happy to help with design (if I can make some time).

Yeah, I hope it is this simple because our attempts to enter the developer program have failed so far.

ScottIsAFool

Yeah, I hope it is this simple because our attempts to enter the developer program have failed so far.

Most likely because they're only after the game developers.

Tharnax

This would be fantastic for MB3 if an Xbox One app could be made available.  I can see why MS isn't so keen on it's development, as I'm sure Plex has a similar headache.  MS wants to sell it's media content through Live and make people pay them again for the media they already own.  Fortunately most media devices still allow direct streaming of personal content but long term hardware manufactures are going to support more and more cloud based media streaming (such as Netflix, iTunes, HBO, ESPN, etc.) as these are subscription based accounts where MS can get a piece of the pie.  There's no profit in it for MS for allowing local content streaming, especially if the app is provided for free.  Similar to many hardware sales out there, the hardware is discounted because the manufacture assumes they can make money off providing content to the customer.  It sucks, with the demise of Boxee, all the new "streaming" devices appear to be focused a lot less on streaming local content and focused much more on streaming pay-per use /subscription based content.

Deathsquirrel

With Kinect you would just reach your hand in the air and pretend to press back button. Though hopefully there is something better where you could just say "Back" or something.

Oh sure, I understand that but it would be pretty darn awkward. MS could add a controller translation layer where one stick scrolls and one stick moves the cursor. Plenty of options...but I want remote control support darn it. Current windows 8 media apps are not remote control friendly.

Unfortunately, the entire MB world is basically a dying market segment. Luckily, though, there will always be enthusiasts, and, even if we are only .01% of the population of users, the total population is big enough to still make it worth it (to us, but not anyone like MS).

• Like 1

Tharnax

Unfortunately, the entire MB world is basically a dying market segment. Luckily, though, there will always be enthusiasts, and, even if we are only .01% of the population of users, the total population is big enough to still make it worth it (to us, but not anyone like MS).

Exactly!  Which is why MBT and as long as it can last MBC (thank goodness Windows 7 is a great OS) will always been in demand as long as a PC can be hooked up to a TV.  Hardware manufactures just aren't going to make it any easier for us to steam local content on their "boxes", PS4 & Xbox One will likely be the first shinning examples of this.

I actually have a call with an MS Product Planner in a week to discuss how I use my MS devices and Win 8 to watch movies, tv shows and listen to music. Believe me, he's going to hear all about MB3 and also how WMC breaks MBC with the upgrade to 8.1. LOL!

• Like 1

Deathsquirrel

I so hope the team is successful in getting a xbox one app!

Dunno about the idea of metro apps running on xbox one though. They're all touch driven and I don't want giant smudges on my TV ;)

With Kinect you would just reach your hand in the air and pretend to press back button. Though hopefully there is something better where you could just say "Back" or something.

• Like 1

trooper11

Well this has been a piece of the X1 puzzle that I have been following closely. Ever since MS demoed Win 8 apps running on an X1, I was hoping that they would open up the app store on the X1 just enough to allow a MB app to be ported.

Even though Dell did make this statement, its still easy to think this was some kind of misunderstanding.

I just say that because MS seemed to hint that it might not be something happening at launch. But hey, if MS does make this happen and they allow the MB team to take advantage of it, then awesome. It could eliminate my need for an htpc in at least one room.

So we are still at the point of wait for MS to announce this. Waiting is the hardest part.

• 2 weeks later...
crashkelly

Well I thought I would share a little update regarding the PS4 since its another possible option for us as far as using it for media playback.

They posted an official FAQ today that laid out some pretty surprising features that are missing:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#comment-912639

I'll run down the important parts regarding media:

1. No Audio CD support

2. No mp3 playback support

3. No external storage is supported. (Not for video, audio, etc)

4. 4K output is not available (movie or game output at 4k)

-They mention that this is in consideration, but no mention of when the support might come.

5. No DLNA or media server support.

So yeah, it may turn out that the X1 is out best hope for an all in one device that can replace an htpc for media needs. We will see once MS rolls out all the details as well. Their app support could also be a big advantage.

There were a lot of things that the PS3 did not support out of the box but were added later with firmware updates. I original bought my PS3 for my Blu-ray player exactly for that reason and I have never had an issue as the BD standards evolved.

By the way, I am getting an XBOX One on day one ;)

Cheers

Edited by crashkelly

Yea exactly. I'm sure the PS4 hardware supports all of that. They just might not have it in their presentation yet.

trooper11

Well I thought I would share a little update regarding the PS4 since its another possible option for us as far as using it for media playback.

They posted an official FAQ today that laid out some pretty surprising features that are missing:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/10/30/ps4-the-ultimate-faq-north-america/#comment-912639

I'll run down the important parts regarding media:

1. No Audio CD support

2. No mp3 playback support

3. No external storage is supported. (Not for video, audio, etc)

4. 4K output is not available (movie or game output at 4k)

-They mention that this is in consideration, but no mention of when the support might come.

5. No DLNA or media server support.

So yeah, it may turn out that the X1 is out best hope for an all in one device that can replace an htpc for media needs. We will see once MS rolls out all the details as well. Their app support could also be a big advantage.

trooper11

There were a lot of things that the PS3 did not support out of the box but were added later with firmware updates. I original bought my PS3 for my Blu-ray player exactly for that reason and I have never had an issue as the BD standards evolved.

By the way, I am getting an XBOX One on day one ;)

Cheers

Sure they can add all of that later. These consoles evolve over time. I'm just pointing out that anyone expecting those things at launch need to keep this in mind.

I will say this though, why would they purposely omit features that the ps3 gained? That seems strange to remove features that became standard on your previous console.

My guess is that they simply don't have time to work that stuff into the OS and meet the launch deadline and so they scrapped the features. It would have been nice if they were to say that they were planning to add such support later.

Yea exactly. I'm sure the PS4 hardware supports all of that. They just might not have it in their presentation yet.

I agree, its possible they just don't have time to get that stuff working for launch. Its just strange that they wouldn't throw us a bone and say that they were working on those things. Some other features are listed as being worked on, while the ones I mentioned are not.

Steven

The PS4 doesn't even support playing your local mp3's.

swhitmore

If we can't get an Xbox App, would it be worth investing time into DLNA Rendering (DMR)? No official word, but from screenshots, and the fact that the 360 recently has it, it looks like the Xbox One will support DLNA Rendering. It would be great if a client could tell the server to directly push videos via DNLA to the Xbox without the need for navigating on the console.

Edited by swhitmore

crashkelly

I have a question for those who've already put a pre-order in and already own a current gen console....

what made you buy a new one?

I have an Xbox 360 and up until now always stump for the newest, latest stuff when it comes out but this time round I just can't see a reason to upgrade. 

The graphics are not so much better that in the middle of a firefight in BF4 I stop and say to myself "oh look at the sun shining off that car"!

Also, in the UK the whole cable tv integration is a non-starter.

So why did you pre-order?

I ordered pretty much because it is new. Being from Canada I have no idea what, if any, TV integration there will be, but I bought my 360 when the Elite version first came out so mine is 4 or 5 years old and worthy of an upgrade.

Cheers

This sounds familiar.................... Lots of dots !

trooper11

There are some rumors now that Sony is now considering including DLNA and MP3 support as part of their second update to the system. That would be after the currently confirmed update that you download at launch. There is no rumor on ETA for that, or if they plan to support external devices or cd audio, but its a step in the right direction. They are doing this in response to people expressing interest in these features, so apparently it was not going to be on their list to do until the response from users.

Once that is confirmed, I'll update here.

For me it was games I'm interested in. I wanted Dead Rising 3, Watchdogs (yeah it will also be out on current gen, but at this point I'm not spending another dime on current gen games), Killer Instinct, and especially Titanfall. I don't expect all these first iteration of games to look dramatically that much better especially if they were designed for current gen like BF4 and the latest COD. But with every generation of consoles the developers learn and improve upon the graphics.

trooper11

I have a question for those who've already put a pre-order in and already own a current gen console....

I have an Xbox 360 and up until now always stump for the newest, latest stuff when it comes out but this time round I just can't see a reason to upgrade. 

The graphics are not so much better that in the middle of a firefight in BF4 I stop and say to myself "oh look at the sun shining off that car"!

Well first of all, I would mention that MS has stated clearly that their TV integration will nto stop with US cable companies. They are currently working to add support from all the different sources around the world, including the UK. They just simply had a deal in place for US companies already so they announced that while stating they are working out deals with others.

Secondly, MS's primary goal with tv is to simply add cable, etc support as a legacy source of media. They invested a lot to build their own media studio, which will be creating original, tv-like content for their service. Ultimately, they want their users to buy content a-la cart, ignoring sources like cable, etc. Since they can't offer enough content at the start to outweigh what you can get on traditional services, they are adding support for those services.

Finally, the media stuff doesn't have to be the reason you buy the console. I didn't pre-order mine because of the cable tv integration. I am in the US and I wont be using that.

No, my reasons for getting one at launch include:

1. Games - the launch lineup interests me, plus games announced for later

2. UI - the demos leaked of it are slick and quick. I just like the design and its capabilities, which could mean great things for app developers

3. Third party app support* - This one is a big IF since MS still has not laid out how their app market will work and how open it will be for anyone to build an X1 app. The reason it interests me then is that MS has demoed Win 8 apps running on the X1 and have hinted very heavily that they intend to build one app store that works across pcs, the xbox, wp, and tablets.

4. Kinect - while some hate this thing, I had enough time with it for the 360 to see that I liked the idea of some gesture control and really like the idea of universal voice control. This Kinect is much improved and the X1 is built with it in mind, allowing for deep integration via voice or gestures. Gaming solely with Kinect is not on my mind beyond some casual games that the family likes to play, but using it in tandem with a regular controller could be very useful. Skyrim for the 360 gave me a taste of that.

5. Improved external support (this is coming in an update shortly after launch) - I use externals to play content from, but it had been a pain with the 360 due to only supporting fat32. Now its much more flexible.

But lets boil it all down. Of those things I listed, the only real reason anyone would buy a console day one is the launch titles that you want to play. If you don't want those, or you can wait, then wait. These next gen consoles will be getting a lot of software updates over the course of the first year especially. Both Sony and MS are rushing to get their consoles out and that has resulted in the OSes not including all the features you might want at launch.

Usually, I don't buy consoles at launch usually because I'm not interested in the launch lineup and I want to see any major bugs worked out before I buy. This time around is different mainly because I am interested in the launch lineup and I don't have any current 360 games to play, so its good timing.

Edited by trooper11