OneDrive - unlimited cloud storage announced

Tranquil

Spaceboy

....and manual uploading is also a no go due to the 10Gb limit on file size that onedrive will accept and also 1000 files at a time. so i've got the synology uploading everything from my media folder (less than 10Gb) to onedrive and the pc syncing everything from my music and photos folders to dropbox. i'll then do a local backup to an external disk of the movies folder which should then catch everything over 10Gb, but only in a static view, and the external disks will go back to storage

hopefully as time goes on some of these restrictions will be removed. now back to hyperion and raspberry pi's....

TolkienBard

I have my unlimited storage now and have been trying to see how it goes. Wow, is it slow. I have fairly decent upload speeds. The bottleneck isn't on my end. What's even more of a PITA is that I need to go through and add each movie/show individually. There is no bulk adding as far as I can tell. The only way I see that I could accomplish that would be to create a top-level folder and put everything inside it and then try uploading the folder. The problem is that I would likely hit the maximum file number for a single job, and I would then have to figure out where the list stopped. I would also have to go through and break up my library to that I could selectively pull out the files over 10 GB.

With as incredibly slow as each upload is, I may have to rethink the idea of using One Drive as my cloud backup, which is unfortunate.

The one feature I really wish that One Drive had is the ability to save to it from Windows Explorer, much like Dropbox allows via the right-click. This would allow me to use Windows Explorer to sort my files without actually moving them around (i.e. Find all mkv files in "Movies" and then sort by size). If I could do that and then simply upload, it would be fine I guess, though it would take months to upload at the speed with which One Drive is accepting the mkvs.

Edited by TolkienBard

Spaceboy

yep, after almost a day the nas has managed to upload......wait for it.........850Mb.

The upload to dropbox did 290Gb in three days (which would mean i could do my whole library in 62 days) so speed is achievable, just not with onedrive / synology's cloud sync. 

• 1 month later...
jepabst

I got my email for unlimited (10tb) Ondrive a few days ago. I created a new TOP LEVEL folder. I added about 100gb to the folder after mapping the network drive in windows. It uploaded at an average of 1800 KB/s (or 1.8mb/s) so I was really happy with that speed. So, now I have two top level folders on my Synology - both mapped as separate drive letters in Windows (7). I use CUT and PASTE to move one of my smaller folders (2gb) from existing dirve P: to new cloud sync drive O: --- and it took a long time to paste, even though it was cut and paste - I kind of expected it, but hoped it would be instant due to the fact that they are on the same drive/nas. However, using the File Station in Synology I was able to cut and paste from one folder to another instantly (500gb folders). So, in the last three days I have pusehd over 20gb to ONEDRIVE - and I am sure could have done more. I am still in testing phase, but I'm pleased with the speed. It's about like copying the file from my desktop to my laptop via wifi - 2mb/s --- not bad. It's gonna take a long while to push my 2tb up, but I'm okay with that. I am an architectural photographer - and I have been wanting to store my RAW pics on cloud.

Spaceboy

It's got quicker recently, I tried again the other day. I need to check on it again. Still I have 22tb to push. Hopefully MS will continue to continue to take their foot off the throttle.

• 10 months later...
Tharnax

Sorry to dredge up an old post but those who are using their "unlimited" Office 365 accounts aware that it is no longer unlimited?

https://blog.onedrive.com/onedrive_changes/

No more unlimited storage. Office 365 Home, Personal, and University subscribers will no longer be offered unlimited storage. Instead, those subscriptions will include 1 TB of OneDrive storage.

No more 100 GB and 200 GB paid plans. New OneDrive users will be offered a 50 GB plan at $1.99 per month starting in early 2016.

Less storage for free. Free OneDrive storage will decrease from 15 GB to 5 GB for new and current users, and the 15 GB camera roll storage bonus will be discontinued. These changes will start rolling out in early 2016, Microsoft says.

For those of you who are over your "new" allocated storage amounts, here is a link to an FAQ to tell you how long you have to remove your stuff off OneDrive.

Another ridiculous business decision, not removing unlimited but for ever offering it in the first place, from Microsoft but considering how many times they've done it before, why I am I so surprised.  :angry:   Hmmm, let's offer unlimited with each Office 365 Home subscription (unlimited storage x5 users for $100 per year, really!? no one is going to use it to back-up the entire database of Netflix movies and TV shows on to it and save themselves TB of hard drive space.  Morons!

I might have to look more at @@CBers post on CloudXtender to determine if there is a way with that program to consolidate the potential 5 OneDrive accounts you can create with a OneDrive 365 Home subscription to create one 5TB storage cloud.  If I can figure out how to make one 5TB OneDrive using CloudXtender, it would still make Office 365 Home the best value for the money compared with alternatives but it's going to be so much more work to set it up. :( 

• Like 1