Openelec Gotham Playback Issues

Xzener

Xzener

Hello everyone,

Can anyone confirm DTS HD and True HD is working with an Intel i3 processor and XBMB3C?? Have everything else working. XBMC is outputting AC3 5.1 to my receiver. When I select HD audio, there is no sound. The audio settings are extensive, can't seem to get it working no matter which setting I choose.

Also, how do I get subtitles to default to "off"??? Every movie I start, subtitles are on.

Thanks!

By the way, XBMB3C development has come leaps and bounds... Great job DEV Team, keep up the great work.

Edited by Xzener

im85288

I cannot confirm it works on an Intel i3 processor bit can confirm it works fine on an Intel i5 processor and would see no reason why it would not on an i3 processor. I am not sure which OS your are running on but I would suggest installing an OpenElec build (maybe you are) as it handles everything very well and is very robust. In the Audio Output section you need to have "Enable passthrough" selected and assure you select the correct "Passthrough output device" - below that there will be options for enabling DTS HD and True HD...if they are not shown then probably you have the wrong passthrough device selected.

As for subtitles being on all the time...it was one of those things that got me for a while too! What you need to do is start playing something, then bring up the OSD..navigate to the volume icon and select it to bring up Audio Settings...on that panel you can turn subtitles off...and then make sure to go the bottom and select "Set as default for all videos". That will make sure they do not come up the next time!

Xzener

Thanks im85288,

1. Ok, I will try an OpenElec build.

2. Ha! Thanks, I've gone to the OSD and changed it to "off" many times... Guess I missed the "Set as default for all videos" check box. Don't know how I missed that.

Thanks for all the hard work you guys are doing. Never thought I'd be running XBMP... I mean XBMC again. I used to mod Xboxs back in the day, using XBMC as the default OS. Man, those were the days.  :D 

Edited by Xzener

Hi,

I have an I3 working perfectly in Win7 & 8 just using pass-through to my Sony DTS-HD amp... let me know if you need any logs/screenshots etc....

Xzener

Testing out some OpenELEC builds... Unable to get a working Gotham build to work. When OpenELEC installs on my flashdrive, it seems to fail about the 50% mark. Will not boot.

Does anyone have a link to a known good OpenELEC Gotham build?? I have found, and have working, a Frodo build... But there are no skins, Artic XBMB3C fails to install (Only compatible skin for Frodo).

Edited by Xzener

im85288

I can't imagine why you would be having problems getting an OpenElec Gotham build? The latest stable Gotham ones are here: http://openelec.tv/get-openelec/download/viewcategory/8-generic-builds 

Personally though I use the alpha Helix builds...just too many new cool features in Helix (LIVE TV being the BIG one) to go back to Gotham!

I also did my share of Xbox modding :) and have played with every Media Center etc I could get my hands on...including WMC etc. For me the power and customisation of Kodi puts them all in the shade though, little things like getting HD Audio does not require me to read an essay on which drivers/packages/filters to install...you just install Kodi and select it in the settings...done! Many, many, many other reasons come to mind..but when combined with OpenElec I think it kicks butt of anything else out there and is super easy with WAF! 

Not that it crashes...but if it did (OpenElec), it will boot straight back into Kodi...meaning I do not need to ever use a keyboard with my HTPC or worry about creating startup scripts with my harmony remote.

I could go on and on forever about the perfect marriage of Kodi/OpenElec and then of course XBMB3C -> MB3 but I'll stop there :)

Xzener

Thanks... Yes, I've been following Kodi very closely, but have just recently delved back into XBMC. I was running an earlier build of Openelec and Frodo off my flash drive. But wasn't able to use all the cool themes. Tried to get the most recent stable build of Gotham, but would not install on my flash drive. I dug up an old HDD and installed it. It's now up and running... But won't play blurays and DVDs like Frodo was. Not sure why, when I click one, it says the stream is starting, but then I get a video failed to play error.

xnappo

If you see 'streaming' that is a sign that XBMB3C either has network access issues, or that it thinks your network is too slow.  

Try:

1. In XBMB3C Settings->Network change 'Video Quality to '1000 MB/s'

2. If that doesn't work, make sure that you have your Samba(network) username/password populated

3. If that doesn't work, try turning on 'Play from HTTP instead of SMB'

xnappo

Xzener

Thanks xnappo...

1 and 3 Bluray rips, and DVD rips will not play. MKVs playback fine.

2 I have not setup. I don't think its a network issue.. XBMB3C connects, all libraries populate, I can play MKVs... heck I can even control playback of MKVs with the web client remote features.

This is a dedicated HDD install. When I was using a flash drive with Frodo, EVERYTHING played no problem.

Sometimes, I get this error... "One or more items failed to play. Check the log for details" then I get a "starting stream" popup... then nothing.

How can I access the log file (XBMC) to see whats going on??

Edited by Xzener

Xzener

im85288,

By the way, HD audio seems to be working fine... with MKVs at least. Thanks for the help. No if I could just get everything else working.

• Like 1

Xzener

Ok... I will revert back and have a look tomorrow. I have since gone back to Windows/XBMC... Openelec and XBMC wasn't playing well with my library. Everything is working perfectly with it and W7?? What is the difference?? Awesome work guys.

Xzener

Sorry for the delay... My limited Linux skills was hindering my log retrieval. Luckily I found an add-on which uploads them to my email.

Please have a look, not sure why my MKVs will play but folder rips do not.

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=340185&mode=raw

One of the first lines... NOTICE: WARNING: unsupported ffmpeg version detected

Could this be the problem?? How do I go about addressing that issue, this is a dedicated Openelec install... no Windows to fall back to. I'd like to cut the cord.

Edited by Xzener

Xzener

Figured you might want a server log too... Restarted both MBS and XBMB3C, tried a couple folder rips. Two of which gave the "Opening stream" popup, the third "One or more items failed to play. Check the log for details".

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=340220&mode=raw

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/820886/MB3%20Testing/2014/server-63550628998.txt

xnappo

Doing the same with 0.9.7?  For some reason it is trying to stream instead of playing the item.  

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

Xzener

Well, doesn't it need to stream from my server?? It's in another room across the house. MKVs are streaming/playing fine.

im85288

As xnappo says it is trying to stream rather than direct play the items in your log and failing for some reason, this "should" only happen if you have selected the "Play from HTTP instead of SMB:" option in the addon settings...can you confirm that is NOT selected?

If it is still a problem, can you set the addon to log in DEBUG level and post that log. Also please post a screenshot or something of how you set up your folders in the MB3 server...they should not point directly at drives like D:/movies etc.

Xzener

Thanks, ATM, my XBMB3C machine is disconnected... Had 3/4" of rain last week, which led to a leak in a wall in my theater room. Had to empty the room in preparation for the drywallers. They will be patching the wall starting tomorrow. Hope to have the room back up and running next week. I will be looking over my settings and reporting back then.

Again, thanks for the help/tips..

Xzener

Ok, back up and running. Just bounced settings off of the working version of Gotham on my W7 machine. Everything is matching, yet it's still failing to playback Bluray and DVD folder rips.

When using Openelec/XBMC as my default bootable OS, my other PC's don't see it on the network as a PC. Only as a media playback device. I have never had to deal with samba shares... I setup my home network with file sharing and never looked back.

I verified http was not checked in the XBMB3C settings. Not sure what to try next. I guess I need to figure out why my other PC's aren't recognizing it as a PC.

Any ideas??

Edited by Xzener

Xzener

Is the fact that the Server PC sees it as a media device the reason why it's "opening stream"?? Although, why does that even fail?? What is the difference from an MKV and a folder rip?? You'd think that a folder rip is similar to a container, where the item played is contained within a folder.

Edited by Xzener

im85288

With openelec you usually get to see the shared folders on other PCs, at least I can when browsing from other Macs on the same network. Regardless this is nothing to do with it failing to play blurays/dvd folder rips. We have added support for bluray/dvd playback but personally it's not something I can test to confirm/deny that it's working correctly. Maybe someone else can confirm its working?

As for samba shares, why do you need them with openelec? Is your media setup on your server to point at UNC paths? If not then you should change that.

Other than that, if there's still errors post a log with the xbmb3c addon's debug level set to 2.

Xzener

XBMB3C (installed on W7 PC) plays bluray and DVD folder rips beautifully. Its the Openelec install I'm having issues with. UNC paths have been standard on my MBS since day on. I can see shared folders in XBMC just fine. I will set my logging as stated and report back. Thanks.