Remote Access via Connect

TJ73

First of all, the new release sounds (and looks) great. Loving all the new functionality. But, I'm having a problem with remote connections.

I'm able to connect through app.mediabrowser.tv when I'm on my home network, but am having problems when I'm remote. After logging in, I'm able to see/select my server, but then I just get the spinning wheel for a few seconds before it times out. 

My HTPC is connected through a VPN, which I suspect is the cause of the issue, but I'm hoping there's a straightforward solution. 

• Like 1

MrWebsmith

also confirm that you, yourself are cloud connected... ie .. your main home user.. in the user area put in your forum creds and save.. itll send an email to you even also..   make sure you're getting the green cloud icon on your user..

i'm able to get into my own server after doing that

In order for it to work, the IP address displayed in the server dashboard needs to be publicly available on the internet. If it's not, you either need to resolve that, or manually specify a different address by doing to Dashboard -> Server -> Settings -> DDNS. If you specify a custom one please note that you'll need to restart the server after changing it. This requirement will be alleviated when the beta goes stable.

@TJ73

Question number one do you have your WAN IP connected to some kind of DDNS service ?

Question number two if answer to one is yes, are you using a private vpn or are you using a vpn service for anonymity?

Question number three if answer to two is vpn service, do you have any kind of vpn selective routing setup so that mediabrowser itself goes through the ISP and everything else can go through the VPN?

jhoff80

Another issue I just noticed:  App.mediabrowser.tv doesn't ever load on IE11.  Just constantly spinning.  Works perfectly on Firefox though.

Edited by jhoff80

Thanks for the responses. I just got back from a trip and had a chance to do some testing. 

1) My account is cloud enabled.

2) I do use a DDNS

3) My VPN service is for anonymity (PIA)

4) The IP address link in the server dashboard DOESN'T work when I'm connected to VPN. It works fine (as does DDNS, and Connect) when I'm connected through my ISP.

So, it seems like this is a remote connection issue due to the VPN that I need to resolve, and has nothing to do with Connect (though I was hoping that this would somehow miraculously solve that problem).

I know the easiest solution would be to get a separate machine to use as my server, and only use VPN on the workstation, but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible. Selective routing sounds like it would work too, but I've done some reading and have no idea how I'd go about that. @@Aeolius - do you have any advice on how I could set that up?

@@TJ73 I would be more than happy to help you "try" and figure out selective routing, I do have it working on my side, I use a heavily modified form of tomato, merlinwrt, on an asus ac56u, I do know that I've done pretty much the same thing with ddwrt. So... Question is could you give me a detailed description of your home network setup and just for information selective routing will most easily be accomplished through the router not through the pc.

Edited by Aeolius

@@TJ73 I guess the only other thing is I'm not sure how the new Connect service works, I haven't taken the time to play around with it yet, I can play with it to see what I need to do to get it working through my vpn, but everything else, as in remote connect to the mediabrowser server I have working with no issue on my side, it might be that you need to allow a few incoming ip addresses that "represent" the connect service to also come through the isp and not the vpn, in essence I've simply allowed a few "source ports" to be selectively routed out the isp and with connect if I had to guess... ??? @@Luke connect service acts as an intermediary and thus would need to specify some of those ips to also be routed, but incoming instead of outgoing through isp.

@TJ73

@Luke

Sorry, I tend to post a lot throughout the day :) Actually you won't need to enable access for the connect service, the way it seems to be working is pretty awesome, if I had to guess it is grabbing the remote setting you told your server are used to connect and it simply connects to that address and port automagically for you o.O so as long as you have your source ports routed through the isp you will be able to connect with the connect feature and I should 97% be able to help you with that part of the selective routing.

For those having trouble logging into the hosted web client, try refreshing the page in the browser and attempting again.

Can you find the log from when the problem was occurring?

i'll post logs to my skydrive in a bit, i'll have a look

Mine stopped working within one version of the server, as in I didn't update the server, nor did it update itself and my login was still broken, I just now updated to the newest release to see if it was possibly fixed but I still seem unable to login.

For those having trouble logging into the hosted web client, try refreshing the page in the browser and attempting again.

I don't want this to sound rude so please don't take it that way, but surely why it has broken the "standard" connection is a bigger issue??

I don't want this to sound rude so please don't take it that way, but surely why it has broken the "standard" connection is a bigger issue??

There's no errors in your log related to authentication so i'm not sure your problem is what you think it is.

i'm struggling terribly getting connected to the webclient thru my ddns ever since connect build...

if I put the actual Ip address in the browser I get in, if I put my ddns in I don't....

any suggestions?

I've put the ddns in server settings and restarted - same.

was fine before.

now mb connect is saying incorrect username and password...

can I roll back server? this doesn't seem ready enough for me....

There's no errors in your log related to authentication so i'm not sure your problem is what you think it is.

reverting to release server = ddns working again, I can't see how that isn't something in the beta that broke it??

Overseer

Ok, it's taking my log in now and I am brought to the server selection screen. Just gotta figure out why selecting my server doesn't go any further.

I don't beleive it's related to the connect feature is what i meant. if you could track down the specific logs from when you had problems that would be most helpful. thanks.

now mb connect is saying incorrect username and password...

can I roll back server? this doesn't seem ready enough for me....

Yes.  Just set your update level to release and re-install from the web site.

But, it would be nice to know why it isn't working for you or we may not get it fixed for the real release.

Overseer

I'm having the same issue as well. I'm able to log in to the website here with my log-in and password, but trying to log on to the app page with the same user name password keeps giving me the unknown username password dialog

I'm having the same issue as well. I'm able to log in to the website here with my log-in and password, but trying to log on to the app page with the same user name password keeps giving me the unknown username password dialog

Same here. I've also done a password reset on the forum, didn't help.

The connect version broke my ability to use ddns. I don't know how?

Now I can't use the connect login as it says my login credentials are wrong....

I don't beleive it's related to the connect feature is what i meant. if you could track down the specific logs from when you had problems that would be most helpful. thanks.

The logs I put on my SkyDrive were all i had from when I was trying to resolve it..

Strangely if I put the ACTUAL IP address in it would work? I could remote desktop with ddns address tho....