Music library showing "No Items" from EHS but works in web client

quindarious

quindarious

As the title says, when I try to access my music library from the EHS it shows "No Items".

The EHS itself displays the latest music added to my library correctly and will play directly from the EHS fine. The web client also has no problems accessing and playing music.

If I enable "Music Albums" or "Music Genres" on the EHS they also work fine.

Using Client version 3.0.224.0 with Chcoloate Theme 3.0.6.8 and Server version 3.0.5416.0

Any suggestions gratefully accepted :)

ninjaedit: I have tried reinstalling both client and server. Also turned it off then on again...

Edited by quindarious

We are timing out waiting for the server to return the list of music.

You can try increasing the time-out but this will mean performance won't be too great going into that collection.

How many items are we talking about here?

quindarious

We are timing out waiting for the server to return the list of music.

You can try increasing the time-out but this will mean performance won't be too great going into that collection.

How many items are we talking about here?

edit: derp. misread "items" as "times".

My music collection is about 605GB. Approx 60000 songs I think?

Edited by quindarious

How is it organized?  If it is Artist/Album/Songs then how many artist are we talking about?

The bottom line is that it is taking a very long time to retrieve whatever the top list of items is in that library.  The only option may be to increase this time-out or use one of the other views.

quindarious

It is organised:

ARTIST/ALBUM/Song.mp3

Approx 1400 artists in the top level folders.

edit: How would I go about changing the timeout value to a larger figure? I assume it's the "Communication Timeout" setting under Advanced >> Server? Currently set to 40000.

edit edit: Set the timeout to 90000. Same issue.

Edited by quindarious

quindarious

Updated Server to Version 3.0.5421.0 which has not changed the symptoms.

Music can still be browsed by Album or Genre from the EHS but when selecting "Music" it simply shows NO ITEMS.

What was changed in the previous server update to cause this?

What was changed in the previous server update to cause this?

Something obviously got slower.  Probably either related to fixing some other bug or keeping our memory use on the server in check.

The reason this only affects MBC is because it was never designed to be a client/server app and all the presentations are expecting to have all items in a particular folder available to them at once.  All the other apps have the concept of paging so that they are presenting things in chunks.

It seems strange that it can't load a list of 1400 artists but it can load a list of 4400 albums?

That is due to the way those two different entities are handled by the server.  The albums are in memory and the artists are not (probably an oversimplification).

porkbone

Hi ebr,

I am seeing this as well plus the link in post 8 is apt (nice find quindarious!) since it seems to behave the same as when we worked on this problem before. I currently have other problems besides this that I can't nail down yet, but I just wanted to corroborate what quindarious has posted.

ginjaninja

@@ebr

do you think the development team would support options/switches for people with larger memory eg. so that all/more of the database/metadata is in memory...

and could that help mbc function/general performance on faster servers.

browsing music on roku is getting close to too slow to be usable.

i have 500 album artist and 7000 artists stored in W:\Music\Album Artist\Album\Tracks

and MBC Music returns a blank for me... (its been over 6 months since i checked it)

not hitting any memory, cpu or hdd performance limits (using perfmon as a crude indicator)..from server or client (same pc for me)

More memory in the system isn't necessarily going to solve the issue as we are a 32 bit app and we couldn't really change the entire way we handle certain items based on user options very effectively anyway.

I'm sure, as we mature we will find ways to fine-tune and improve these types of things but, for MBC, it is probably just going to be a limitation.  The Roku issue, you should raise in that forum, however because that should be able to be addressed.